Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Homelessness and crime/jail..? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been pondering this for a while and cant seem to get my head around the rationale see if you can.

Youve been rendered homeless and are sleeping rough begging for coppers, so not ideal right? the chances of your situation changing are slim and winter is coming... one guaranteed way of getting 3 hots and a cot is to get jailed... anybody else mildly surprised more homeless people dont run around getting jailed?

As whilst the obvious disadvantage of being branded a criminal would be a good deterant on the same token living rough is not exactly a picnic.. violence, exposure etc.

Personally i'd probably try and get jailed in such an eventuality atleast there theres a tiny chance of possibly learning a skill to brake the cycle..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's sad, but I've seen it happen before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    It's sad, but I've seen it happen before
    Second only to a society that fails someone that utterly that this is even an option... I had a friend who found a homeless person dead one morning after a particularly snowy night.. and then we have people complaining there benefits dont cover a holiday to marbella... the system needs a serious reblancing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Napp)
    Second only to a society that fails someone that utterly that this is even an option... I had a friend who found a homeless person dead one morning after a particularly snowy night.. and then we have people complaining there benefits dont cover a holiday to marbella... the system needs a serious reblancing.
    That's so sad. You're really right. Don't even get me started on spikes being installed into the ground to stop people sleeping there!

ReputationRep:
    It's abhorrent that homelessness even exists in a country as wealthy as this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Indeed, we have people like [blairs a good example here] with several houses and dozens of flats which arent even in use...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)

The thing is homelessness will always be an issue, as they're those who cannot comply with the system.
    I just think that the increasing scale of rough sleeping I worrying.
    It I much worse in the states

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Indeed, we have people like [blairs a good example here] with several houses and dozens of flats which arent even in use...

Dude, this country has accumulated its wealth during the darkest days of human history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Dude, this country has accumulated its wealth during the darkest days of human history.
    You dont get rich by being nice :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    You dont get rich by being nice :rolleyes:
    Exactly, as you do not accumulate grand amounts of wealth, by being nice.
    Profits come first and ethics and morals come second

ReputationRep:
    I read about a homrleds person who robbed a bank for someting like 5cents in the US just to get jail

ReputationRep:
    And apparently it's not just the homeless who are trying to get jailed. Some prisoners released from jails do on purpose to commit some crimes just so they can go back inside because all their mates are there and it's better than on the outside. Must be true. I saw it on Channel 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    That's so sad. You're really right. Don't even get me started on spikes being installed into the ground to stop people sleeping there!
    I ma more bothered at the fact that people have to sleep there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    And apparently it's not just the homeless who are trying to get jailed. Some prisoners released from jails do on purpose to commit some crimes just so they can go back inside because all their mates are there and it's better than on the outside. Must be true. I saw it on Channel 5
    I can definitely see why half these people have spent more time in jail than out and are incapable of settling back into society, the system is ridiculous..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.