Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 28, I left school with A levels in business studies.

I didn't want to study business at university and ended up in and out of employment. Mostly unemployed. Working back office jobs.

I would like to maybe study something in the stem subjects but I have two problems

1) I havn't got the money to do part-time courses and will need to save first when I get a job. (I don't meet benefit funding requirements and got put off by the amount of evidence and pressure I would be under if I took a student loan).

2). I have a C in GCSE mathematics and all the courses I want to do need a
    good grade in GCSE mathematics which requires a grade B.

I am not getting any younger. I did do a part-time course through the OU but currently unemployed so would need to get a job and save again to continue as I don't meet OU funding requirements and don't really want to get funding for the OU.

I was looking at courses like mathematics a levels, electronic engineering, accounting as these are the only courses I would bother returning to education to complete.

I am ok at other courses like humanities but I don't see the need in having a degree in these courses as I could still do jobs I want without a degree in one of those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest self teaching the content and paying to sit the exams as a private candidate. There's tonnes of resources available especially for A-level maths. You just need to purchase the textbooks off eBay for like £5 each and go through and complete all the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tut123)

I didn't want to study business at university and ended up in and out of employment. Mostly unemployed. Working back office jobs.

I would like to maybe study something in the stem subjects but I have two problems

1) I havn't got the money to do part-time courses and will need to save first when I get a job. (I don't meet benefit funding requirements and got put off by the amount of evidence and pressure I would be under if I took a student loan).

I am not getting any younger. I did do a part-time course through the OU but currently unemployed so would need to get a job and save again to continue as I don't meet OU funding requirements and don't really want to get funding for the OU.

I was looking at courses like mathematics a levels, electronic engineering, accounting as these are the only courses I would bother returning to education to complete.

I am ok at other courses like humanities but I don't see the need in having a degree in these courses as I could still do jobs I want without a degree in one of those subjects.
    Just picking up on one of the courses you mentioned - Electronic Engineering. There are universities which require GCSE grade C Maths (not B) for that subject and very modest A-level/level 3 results. Remember that you don't necessarily have to have A-levels as a mature student - there are other routes. Google the courses and look at your options - that grade C is not a barrier at all.

Don't get caught up in rankings/prestige - there are lower ranked unis that offer degrees with relatively low entry requirements and high employment prospects.

Do some Googling and start e-mailing specific universities and asking them what they'd want from you. Make a list of your top 5 and then get to work - figure out how to get the qualifications they require at that point. One step at a time. I've been through this so if you need help feel free to ask. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    Just picking up on one of the courses you mentioned - Electronic Engineering. There are universities which require GCSE grade C Maths (not B) for that subject and very modest A-level/level 3 results. Remember that you don't necessarily have to have A-levels as a mature student - there are other routes. Google the courses and look at your options - that grade C is not a barrier at all.

Don't get caught up in rankings/prestige - there are lower ranked unis that offer degrees with relatively low entry requirements and high employment prospects.

Do some Googling and start e-mailing specific universities and asking them what they'd want from you. Make a list of your top 5 and then get to work - figure out how to get the qualifications they require at that point. One step at a time. I've been through this so if you need help feel free to ask. Good luck
    Thanks, Im nearly certain they (universities) will need an A level in mathematics or physics unless they ask me to do what that other person replied I should do, which is learn all the mathematics course myself and then maybe do some sort of private exams. I don't know where I would do that though.

Did you have to go back over things?

Im guessing if I spent a few years teaching myself mathematics and physic, id be 31

If I got to uni and they allowed me in without the A levels, maybe 3 or 4 years, that would make me 35

35 with only office work background and then maybe a degree in some sort of stem subject. Not too sure how employers would look at that.

I had been sort of looking at this idea as just maybe a personal interest because it doesn't look like i'll not get much of a job or make much money anyway at the end of it all. I will always sort of be unemployed on benefits due to my age and other things but could study something that I am at least interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Im nearly certain they (universities) will need an A level in mathematics or physics unless they ask me to do what that other person replied I should do, which is learn all the mathematics course myself and then maybe do some sort of private exams. I don't know where I would do that though.

Did you have to go back over things?

Im guessing if I spent a few years teaching myself mathematics and physic, id be 31

If I got to uni and they allowed me in without the A levels, maybe 3 or 4 years, that would make me 35

35 with only office work background and then maybe a degree in some sort of stem subject. Not too sure how employers would look at that.

I had been sort of looking at this idea as just maybe a personal interest because it doesn't look like i'll not get much of a job or make much money anyway at the end of it all. I will always sort of be unemployed on benefits due to my age and other things but could study something that I am at least interested in.
    I did an accelerated 1 year entry course. You don't have to spend 3 years getting up to A-level standard. I really advise asking the unis first and asking them what they can recommend specifically for a mature student (and stipulate to them that A-levels are not a viable option).

I know people my age and older (late to mid thirties) who have done an array of different degrees and they are all doing very well for themselves now. Don't let age stop you. Look at it this way - would you rather be 35, no degree and unemployed or would you rather give this a shot and potentially be 35, a graduate and in a decent career? For me, the gamble was always clear - you have more to win than to lose.

The final thing you said about assuming that you will always be unemployed/on benefits - it may feel like that right now but it doesn't have to be the case. I was in a very similar situation a few years back and now my life is completely different. I really do understand your predicament and how it can affect your self-esteem etc - but keep trying. The first step is e-mail the unis - ask about any accelerated (especially distance learning accelerated) courses they might recommend for entry to their course. You could be a year away from applying to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    I did an accelerated 1 year entry course. You don't have to spend 3 years getting up to A-level standard. I really advise asking the unis first and asking them what they can recommend specifically for a mature student (and stipulate to them that A-levels are not a viable option).

I know people my age and older (late to mid thirties) who have done an array of different degrees and they are all doing very well for themselves now. Don't let age stop you. Look at it this way - would you rather be 35, no degree and unemployed or would you rather give this a shot and potentially be 35, a graduate and in a decent career? For me, the gamble was always clear - you have more to win than to lose.

The final thing you said about assuming that you will always be unemployed/on benefits - it may feel like that right now but it doesn't have to be the case. I was in a very similar situation a few years back and now my life is completely different. I really do understand your predicament and how it can affect your self-esteem etc - but keep trying. The first step is e-mail the unis - ask about any accelerated (especially distance learning accelerated) courses they might recommend for entry to their course. You could be a year away from applying to university.
    Thanks, well done. That is inspiring to read/hear.

I just had a look around about what the other person said/wrote above about self teaching mathematics and applying for private exams which appears to be true.

I found another thread about this and apparently people can self teach themselves mathematics using textbooks, websites , cd 's and then apply to privately sit the exams in different centres.

I might have a look into doing this because if I can get up to scratch with mathematics then it shouldn't be a problem building up on this on courses in uni. I just learned something new today so this threat was useful to me. Maybe it would just be a matter of getting an employer to provide a reference or something for uni.

Thanks for your reply and good luck with whatever you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    fefssdf "I would suggest self teaching the content and paying to sit the exams as a private candidate. There's tonnes of resources available especially for A-level maths. You just need to purchase the textbooks off eBay for like £5 each and go through and complete all the questions"

Yes, thanks fefssdf . This was an idea I never heard of and didn't know I could be done but I found another thread about it and apparently there is cenrtres in England who will allow people to sit the exams privatelt.

I will have a look into this and hopefully maybe try doing this at some stage.

ReputationRep:
    I self taught AS mathematics with a grace C at GCSE. Ultimately I come out with a high grade B. I definitely recommend the examsolutions website! That guy helped me loads! It's achievable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a maths intensive course at uni (engineering,physics,maths etc) then I would recommend sitting the relevant A-levels as a private candidate.

For A-levels like maths and further maths which have no course work, you can literally just buy the books and teach yourself the content, go online and go through all the past papers to prepare for the exam, then simply turn up at an exam center (such as a school) and sit the exams and gain the A-level that way.

ReputationRep:

What is your goal career wise? If you want a maths/engineering job a degree will be almost essential. Lots of universities offer foundation years which are just an extra year of your degree and so funded by your student loan and often don't require A Levels especially from mature students. Why not have a look at some courses that do foundation years and email admissions to see if they will accept you? It's only worth 'bothering' with education if it's something you really want to do so do some research into the career you want as this is what the universities will want to see.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.