The Student Room Group

Overly anxious about uni

Hello, this is my first post here and I thought I'd share my experience (although you may have heard it so many times from other people on this forum)

I just came back from Open Days. I was quite excited before - I heard many things about UK universities and thought I'd give it a shot and apply to one as an International student.

But when I came back from Open Days, I suddenly felt overly scared and nervous - random thoughts fill my head like "What if I get bored of the course? What if it's going to be too hard? What if I dont understand what are they saying to me?". I'm scared of dropping out and having to deal with the fees afterwards and disappointing my parents.

I dont know how to deal with this, I'm already thinking of withdrawing from going to uni. I dont think a gap year would help, since I'm lazy and I would probably spend 24/7 at home.

I want to go, I've been planning it for a year. It's just... I'm scared.
Original post by Tokarief
Hello, this is my first post here and I thought I'd share my experience (although you may have heard it so many times from other people on this forum)

I just came back from Open Days. I was quite excited before - I heard many things about UK universities and thought I'd give it a shot and apply to one as an International student.

But when I came back from Open Days, I suddenly felt overly scared and nervous - random thoughts fill my head like "What if I get bored of the course? What if it's going to be too hard? What if I dont understand what are they saying to me?". I'm scared of dropping out and having to deal with the fees afterwards and disappointing my parents.

I dont know how to deal with this, I'm already thinking of withdrawing from going to uni. I dont think a gap year would help, since I'm lazy and I would probably spend 24/7 at home.

You'll be fine, any specific questions? I'm a Warwick University history student due to enter my second year, and currently studying in Beijing Normal University on a summer exchange.
Reply 2
Just an advice, how do I stop worrying so much and make the uni an enjoyable experience?
Just an advice, how do I stop worrying so much and make the uni an enjoyable experience?

What are you specifically worried about? The course? Or social aspects, moving away etc?

In terms of the course, most of first year is normally spent getting people up to the same standard - therefore the work is not normally too hard. I found I'd already covered a fair amount of stuff at A Level. Obviously this varies from course to course, may be worth getting in touch with people studying the relevant subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

I can assure you all 3 things will happen, but you will adjust over time to get used to it. You just need to adjust quickly enough to see what is required of you. But OP you will be fine, everyone will feel those 3 things, but in a few weeks it will all be ok.
Reply 5
Original post by Butterfly9595
What are you specifically worried about? The course? Or social aspects, moving away etc?

Mostly about the finances and the workload - generally I'm a lazy person and I wouldn't want to find out that I don't fit into the uni, haha.

"What if I get bored of the course? What if it's going to be too hard? What if I dont understand what are they saying to me?". I'm scared of dropping out and having to deal with the fees afterwards and disappointing my parents.

1. Its up to you to choose carefully. Presumably you did some research. If you are incompatible then switch or leave.
2. If you get the grades then you should be fine.
3. Dont drop out then its all up to you. It wouldnt be the end of the world.

Other students are concerned, but tvh you should be looking forward, deal with the issues as and when they arise.
Mostly about the finances and the workload - generally I'm a lazy person and I wouldn't want to find out that I don't fit into the uni, haha.

Haha those are pretty normal worries to be honest! What course are you wanting to do? As long as you are interested in it you should be fine. University does require a lot of self motivation in terms of learning, but if you enjoy your subject this shouldn't be too hard. Also, we all have days where we're just not motivated so don't beat yourself up about them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Butterfly9595
What course are you wanting to do?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Currently I'm applying for International Tourism & Travel Management. Right now I'm more excited since my parents reassured me they would help in case of an emergency and I wouldn't want to disappoint them ^^

I still have to reply for my conditional offer, but I'm waiting for interpreter to translate my exam results to English.

Quick Reply

Latest