Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've done some A Levels and I can get into a History degree now, but I'm doing an extra year in Bio/Chem (up to A2) as well.

I would like to do Biomed over History, but if I don't get the grades I will be somewhat screwed because I can't spend another year at home.

So, I want to apply for both. Can someone tell me how to write a personal statement that will allow me to apply for both?

I suppose as a starting point I have a strong interest in the History of Medicine.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Pick the one you like best and apply for it. If you don't get offers for it then use UCAS extra to apply for the other course and then send the unis the alternative personal statement . Tonnes of decent unis have courses during UCAS extra so I guess if you used this method you'd have two chances to get into uni with two different courses.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    So I've done some A Levels and I can get into a History degree now, but I'm doing an extra year in Bio/Chem (up to A2) as well.

I would like to do Biomed over History, but if I don't get the grades I will be somewhat screwed because I can't spend another year at home.

So, I want to apply for both. Can someone tell me how to write a personal statement that will allow me to apply for both?

I suppose as a starting point I have a strong interest in the History of Medicine.

Thanks.
    I would strongly recommend that you don't write a combined personal statement for such different courses. It will be ridiculously obvious to the admissions tutors that you are writing a statement that covers two subjects and it will appear that you are not fully committed to their course. When there are many many applicants, a quick way to cut them down is to decline applicants who don't really seem to want to to the particular course. Applicants who come across as being uncommitted are always a risk of dropping out or not doing as well because they don't have the interest in the course.*

One option you might want to consider is to apply for biomed and if you don't make the grades, apply for history through clearing (although you would need to contact the universities first and see if they would accept an additional PS).*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)

Thanks.
    You will come across as either indecisive or ignorant about what the courses involve. Both those courses are very oversubscribed (biomed is a classic 5th choice for medics) so choose which one you actually want to study and make a properly targeted application for it. If you can't make your mind up, don't apply until you can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.