The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Native_Student
Cuz *****es dont really want equality they just want to do what they want without any moral responsibility. They want to go on a 15 year drink, drug and cock binge and then become a first time mother at 42.

Where do I even start? Please tell me you are not serious. Firstly, men like you are a large part of the problem. Why do you think it's acceptable to call women "*****es"? Would it therefore be okay with you if women called all men "bastards"? Where exactly did I say that I supported anything immoral? That is an absolutely ludicrous statement which is completely untrue. Actually, men are statistically more likely both to drink and to take drugs than women. I personally don't drink that often or drink much when I do drink. I do not take drugs and I do not have one night stands. Even if a women was to do exactly what you said, are you seriously suggesting that men can't drink, take drugs, have one night stands and then become a father later in life?
Original post by Manchester_123
No you don't believe in equal rights for men and women. You are a femiNazi so you are anti-men.

I believe in equal rights for men and women. I believe in equal pay. I believe in equal opportunities. I believe in respect for women in the work place. I believe in tackling sexual abuse as much as possible. I believe in destroying what's left of the backward's "females should be stay at home mothers" mentality. I believe in abortion rights. I believe in abandoning all religions which are proved sexist towards women the way they make men appear superior by referring to God as "him" by allowing male only priests/imams, by letting men have many wives (but not vice versa) and so on. I believe women should be viewed as equal.

I believe all this yet I am no feminist or feminazi. I am just a believer in equal rights for women and men. Big difference. I have 0 similarity to a feminist.

I do believe in equal rights for men and women. I would also describe myself as an egalitarian; I believe in equal rights for everyone which is what I have said repeatedly throughout this thread. A feminazi by definition a radical feminist and I made it clear in my original post that I am not a radical/extreme feminist. I am a liberal feminist. All feminists are NOT radical feminists. As someone else has already said, that is like saying that all Muslims are to blame for ISIS (although obviously that is on a much more severe scale). I am also not in any way anti-men, as I also said in my original post.

"I believe in equal rights for men and women. I believe in equal pay. I believe in equal opportunities. I believe in respect for women in the work place. I believe in tackling sexual abuse as much as possible. I believe in destroying what's left of the backward's "females should be stay at home mothers" mentality. I believe in abortion rights."
I believe in all of those things. Where exactly do our views on that differ?

That is, of course, if you actually do believe in those things since you calling me "girl" and a "feminazi" and deliberately emphasising the "n" in "femiNazi" the second time is hardly respectful.
Original post by Sapphire321
I am a 21 year old woman and I would describe myself as a feminist going by the actual definition of feminism which is: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes. I am a feminist because I believe that men and women should be equal in society and that neither men nor women should be forced to conform to traditional gender roles NOT because I think that women should be superior to or have more privileges or better rights than men or because I think all men are sexist. I would also say, before people stereotype me, that I am straight, I do not hate men, I do take care of my appearance and I am not in any way the type of radical, extreme feminist that so many people now seem to think that all women who want equal rights are.

Anyway, to get to why I started this thread, I used to believe that men and women were fairly equal in modern society in the UK. However, as I’ve got older I’ve realised more and more that this is just not the case. In the workplace, there is still a 9.4% pay gap on average between men and women for full-time employment and when part-time employment is also included the gap extends to 19.2%. In the private sector specifically the pay gap for even for full-time employees was 17.2%! The TUC analysis of the ONS statistics showed that looking at the highest earners that gap widens even more reaching 54.9% for the top 2% of earners. The “glass ceiling” is even now nowhere near broken. There are many more men than women in top level jobs in politics, law, science, technology, engineering, academia, business… Just looking at politics alone, there is currently a lot in the media about how the next Prime Minister now has to be either Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom therefore it has to be (how shocking!) a woman. I know it’s only the second time in history so that’s a point of interest and it’s obviously great that there was no gender discrimination in this case that prevented us from getting another female Prime Minister but it still shouldn’t be portrayed by the media as such a novel and unusual idea. Even after the 2015 General Election, only 29% of MPs and a third of cabinet ministers are women. Women in politics seem to be judged by the media and society in general as much for how they look as for their policies and often face sexism from both the media and male colleagues. So, if we can’t get proper gender equality in politics which is both very public and obviously instrumental in trying to create equal rights then what hope is there for other professions.

It’s not just in the workplace that women aren’t treated equally either. Everyday sexism is present in schools, universities and in wider society. Worryingly, there is evidence that our generation, if anything, is getting worse. The rise of “Lad Culture” and “Rape Culture” which are particularly prevalent at universities is becoming a serious problem. Women are routinely objectified. Some men (I am definitely not saying all men) and even some women make sexist jokes and comments on a regular basis including joking about rape. Sexist posts and memes (again including jokes about rape) are often shared on social media… Why is it still seen as acceptable to joke that women should “get back to the kitchen” or worse?

As I said, I used to believe that men and women were now equal in the UK when I was still at school but scarily, knowing what I know now looking back on things that happened when I was at school, sexism was obvious there too. I had one male teacher in sixth form who used to patronisingly call all the girls “young lady” but never the boys “young man”. I had a female teacher who said women who worked and had children were irresponsible because they couldn’t be fully committed to their careers. Boys in my class joked that “all women should be prostitutes” but “*name of girl* wouldn’t get any customers”. In my year, boys and even occasionally girls made jokes that were either sexist or involved rape or both. Also, seeing some of the threads on TSR where (some) guys make sexist and misogynistic comments and then call girls “feminazis” if they dispute what’s been said makes me think that sexism certainly hasn’t gone, it hasn’t even decreased by all that much in some ways, it has just adapted into a modern version.

So, why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men? And why do people say that feminism is now irrelevant when there is still so much inequality? In a country where women got the vote almost a century ago shouldn’t we have better equality in modern society than this?

Why in some medical schools are admissions teams now having the year groups 65% female to balance historic inequality of admissions thus denying plenty of suitable male prospective medstudents of a place? Not their fault they were born in the wrong generation?

Your point is a pertinent one, but we live in a dystopia society and inequality is rife in many facets of life. Whilst society would do well to address these, it's important to look at it from the male perspective and understand the hardship that they feel since they are discrimated against in correcting historical inequalities. Sad world but the reality is that it always has been! I'm all for gender equality and think it's a great thing, but the hypocrisy of it lies in that in order to equalise historical inequalities, males are now discriminated!!!!
You are a troll but scarily there are people on this thread that actually have views that are not all that far removed from this.

Let him fantasise. Closest he's probably got is by sitting next to a girl at school....
I am a 21 year old woman and I would describe myself as a feminist going by the actual definition of feminism which is: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes. I am a feminist because I believe that men and women should be equal in society and that neither men nor women should be forced to conform to traditional gender roles NOT because I think that women should be superior to or have more privileges or better rights than men or because I think all men are sexist. I would also say, before people stereotype me, that I am straight, I do not hate men, I do take care of my appearance and I am not in any way the type of radical, extreme feminist that so many people now seem to think that all women who want equal rights are.

Anyway, to get to why I started this thread, I used to believe that men and women were fairly equal in modern society in the UK. However, as I’ve got older I’ve realised more and more that this is just not the case. In the workplace, there is still a 9.4% pay gap on average between men and women for full-time employment and when part-time employment is also included the gap extends to 19.2%. In the private sector specifically the pay gap for even for full-time employees was 17.2%! The TUC analysis of the ONS statistics showed that looking at the highest earners that gap widens even more reaching 54.9% for the top 2% of earners. The “glass ceiling” is even now nowhere near broken. There are many more men than women in top level jobs in politics, law, science, technology, engineering, academia, business… Just looking at politics alone, there is currently a lot in the media about how the next Prime Minister now has to be either Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom therefore it has to be (how shocking!) a woman. I know it’s only the second time in history so that’s a point of interest and it’s obviously great that there was no gender discrimination in this case that prevented us from getting another female Prime Minister but it still shouldn’t be portrayed by the media as such a novel and unusual idea. Even after the 2015 General Election, only 29% of MPs and a third of cabinet ministers are women. Women in politics seem to be judged by the media and society in general as much for how they look as for their policies and often face sexism from both the media and male colleagues. So, if we can’t get proper gender equality in politics which is both very public and obviously instrumental in trying to create equal rights then what hope is there for other professions.

It’s not just in the workplace that women aren’t treated equally either. Everyday sexism is present in schools, universities and in wider society. Worryingly, there is evidence that our generation, if anything, is getting worse. The rise of “Lad Culture” and “Rape Culture” which are particularly prevalent at universities is becoming a serious problem. Women are routinely objectified. Some men (I am definitely not saying all men) and even some women make sexist jokes and comments on a regular basis including joking about rape. Sexist posts and memes (again including jokes about rape) are often shared on social media… Why is it still seen as acceptable to joke that women should “get back to the kitchen” or worse?

As I said, I used to believe that men and women were now equal in the UK when I was still at school but scarily, knowing what I know now looking back on things that happened when I was at school, sexism was obvious there too. I had one male teacher in sixth form who used to patronisingly call all the girls “young lady” but never the boys “young man”. I had a female teacher who said women who worked and had children were irresponsible because they couldn’t be fully committed to their careers. Boys in my class joked that “all women should be prostitutes” but “*name of girl* wouldn’t get any customers”. In my year, boys and even occasionally girls made jokes that were either sexist or involved rape or both. Also, seeing some of the threads on TSR where (some) guys make sexist and misogynistic comments and then call girls “feminazis” if they dispute what’s been said makes me think that sexism certainly hasn’t gone, it hasn’t even decreased by all that much in some ways, it has just adapted into a modern version.

So, why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men? And why do people say that feminism is now irrelevant when there is still so much inequality? In a country where women got the vote almost a century ago shouldn’t we have better equality in modern society than this?

Oh please, race is far more of an issue right now than gender. Note that intersectional feminism does exist exactly for people like you, I beg thee to become more liberal
I do believe in equal rights for men and women. I would also describe myself as an egalitarian; I believe in equal rights for everyone which is what I have said repeatedly throughout this thread. A feminazi by definition a radical feminist and I made it clear in my original post that I am not a radical/extreme feminist. I am a liberal feminist. All feminists are NOT radical feminists. As someone else has already said, that is like saying that all Muslims are to blame for ISIS (although obviously that is on a much more severe scale). I am also not in any way anti-men, as I also said in my original post.

"I believe in equal rights for men and women. I believe in equal pay. I believe in equal opportunities. I believe in respect for women in the work place. I believe in tackling sexual abuse as much as possible. I believe in destroying what's left of the backward's "females should be stay at home mothers" mentality. I believe in abortion rights."
I believe in all of those things. Where exactly do our views on that differ?

That is, of course, if you actually do believe in those things since you calling me "girl" and a "feminazi" and deliberately emphasising the "n" in "femiNazi" the second time is hardly respectful.

You can call yourself what you want. But we both believe in opposite things and want completely different outcomes for society. I listed what I want. Equal treatment for women. Ending sexual abuse. Equal opportunities. Ending objectification. And many more. That's my belief. True equality. You are a feminist (aka femiNazi) so you can go on believing the crap you want about white men and ****. I personally want equal rights and I will fight until women are equal
Original post by perspectives
A teacher at my school called the girls "princess" , "love" , "sweetie" he commented on one girls clothes size saying she'd be a good model. He never did to the boys.
My dad's colleague is a working mother who is set to be really high up in the company. The amount of s*** she's faced for being a woman, it's taken her many more years than it should've done to get her to this stage. Men have many sexist jokes to her throughout her career and she's missed out on promotions because of it. Don't tell me women don't try to get good careers and that it's their own fault that there's a pay gap.
Growing up the girls were encouraged to do art or dance and the boys were encouraged to love science and maths. Girls who were good at maths were told they are good, "for a girl."
A boy in my year would say women are only good for two things, cooking and babies. The teacher would laugh.
At the age of 11 my friends and I would walk down the street and be told "show us your t*** " we were 11, we barely had any and yet we were already being sexualised.
It's so sad to see the comments on this post blatantly refuse to believe there is inequality. Of course there is inequality, it's just more subtle that you think.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Regarding your beginning statement, I don't believe being called princess, sweetie, or love is necessarily a subtle sexist comment. If anything it's completely normal and expected. To prove my point just think what would happen to that teacher if he called both the girls and the boys those names. Really awkward, that's what.
As for art and dance, uhm...what's wrong with them? I enjoy Friedrich's paintings as much as the next person and dancing is the most empowering thing you can do. Is there a problem with those subjects?
You are a troll but scarily there are people on this thread that actually have views that are not all that far removed from this.

Missus, you actually think that?
Not all women have children but the point is that women who do have children should still have the opportunities to progress in their careers. Men can have top level careers and children so why shouldn't women. It doesn't take many years. Maternity leave takes weeks or possibly months not years and the point is that men should take an equal role in childcare and household chores and there should be more paid paternity leave in order to enable women to progress through their careers.

I think women are less ambitious anyway, so probably in a way it's also their fault that they do not have a huge career. Maternity leave may take months only, but then you'll have to go home on time to make proper dinner and it takes an awful lot of time to take care of your children. My friends who had successful parents (like head of department at a uni, even only a father, not a mother) were complaining that that parent ignored them and didn't spend enough time with them. I think it's either a decent career or a decent family. You can't have both or it will have a negative effect on the other one. If you're a careerist as a woman, your children will pay for it (unless their father stays at home :smile: but the kids will still complain their mums don't care enough about them)
I'm a woman and I want to be a successful scientist, and honestly, it takes a lot of time to develop myself and to study, I don't see myself having a kids and a huge family, the two are just simply mutually exclusive. The mid-way would be to be an average scientists and having a family, but I don't want to be average at what I'm doing.
The problem with university feminists is that they staunchly try to 'educate' people on sexism in the workplace when the large majority of them have never actually had a serious job or spent any time in the average workplace. This makes me speculate that their views must largely be second-hand rather than experience-based

I'm a 35yo guy and I'm one of just two men in a team of 10. Three of my team have gone on maternity leave in the past two years and all for the full nine months. In fact, I actually joined the company on a fixed term contract covering a maternity leave. It was then extended to cover another, and then they finally made me permanent. I am now more senior than two of the three who went on mat leave, as they were not in the business at the time when the company started interviewing for a team leader - the other girl was already significantly more senior than me (with a decade's experience) and remains so.

I felt compelled to post this as it supports the common view that having children can interrupt one's career.
(edited 7 years ago)
Here we go...

A Man's thinking:
I don't know what to do. I could work in the fields of:

Engineering

Medicine

Arts

Computer languages

Science

Management

Sales

A Woman's thinking:
I Don't know what to do. I'll work as a:

teacher

nurse

HR

hair stylist

It's all about choice. If you're a sheep, don't claim when divisions become apparent.
I'll also mention my sister here as it seems relevant...

She graduated with a first in Geographic Information Science and now works for the MOD. She has worked her way up from the role of Research Scientist to a level six employee, which grants her the honorary rank of Captain when working with the army. Her specialism is GPS and Geospatial Intelligence and she has consulted on the Iraq war, Afghanistan and the 2012 Olympics.

For a long time she was the only female in her whole team and hence we have discussed this issue on a few occasions. Interestingly, she has mentioned to me before that most of her friends don't find her job very interesting past the initial polite chitchat. She also said something else very poignant....that she doesn't understand why so many women moan about the lack of females in science/tech fields when the majority of those complaining have chosen to do humanities degrees (like Gender Studies and Sociology. I'm pretty sure she is in the 93% of women who don't identify as feminists.

In truth, she has always been a science geek and I was always into writing stories (she found fiction pretty boring) and that is why she is in a science field and I'm a business writer.
So, why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men?

Women and men are biologically different. Most inequality between them in Western countries today stems from biological differences, not social policies or laws. These biological differences will never disappear so it does not matter if it is 2016 or 1216.
Another interesting fact...

Women in their 20s have out earned their male counterparts for about a decade now, and currently women in their 30s also out earn men. The Economist did a study which showed that women who never have children earn a statistically significant amount more - although perhaps this is a chicken/egg scenario, where highly paid women don't want to sacrifice their careers or they alternatively end up 'missing the boat' by delaying motherhood into their 40s where fertility becomes a problem and it is also harder to find a partner.
Reply 154
I advocate for gender equality and believe in equality of the sexes. So I am not a feminist. I am an egalitarian.
I have always worked hard and I intend to continue to work hard in order to get a good degree and hopefully eventually a top level job in order to do just that. However, the point I was making is that it shouldn't be harder for women to get into certain career paths or to get promoted/progress in their chosen career than men.

Where is the evidence that it is harder for women to progress than men in a certain career path? The "wage gap" stats doesn't prove this at all as it doesn't consider that more women go into less paying jobs due to a relatively less interest in STEM subjects and do less working hours due to having to take care of kids.
Reply 156
Original post by Nurne
I advocate for gender equality and believe in equality of the sexes. So I am not a feminist. I am an egalitarian.

And this is why.
Men are 97% of combat fatalities.
Men pay 97% of alimony.
Men make up 94% of work suicides.
Men make up 93% of work fatalities.
Men make up 81% of all war deaths.
Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.
Men make up 80% of all suicides.
Men make up 77% of homicide victims.
Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.
Men get 63% longer sentences for the same crime.
Court bias against men is at least 6 times worse than racial bias.
Men make up 60-80% of those who are homeless.
Women's cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's cancers

If you want sources, ask me and I will provide them.
Because people are sensitive about everything and are nitpiking.

Seriously feminists are now targeting video games while ignoring the pleas of women in the East.

Last time the SJWs where complaining about too much sexualization of women in Dead or Alive. I laughed because the same game contains men not even wearing full clothing.

Also the manipulation of data by these SJWs is beyond belief.

At this point these people are fighting to keep their jobs than fight for actual social justice
Original post by lawlieto
I think women are less ambitious anyway, so probably in a way it's also their fault that they do not have a huge career. Maternity leave may take months only, but then you'll have to go home on time to make proper dinner and it takes an awful lot of time to take care of your children. My friends who had successful parents (like head of department at a uni, even only a father, not a mother) were complaining that that parent ignored them and didn't spend enough time with them. I think it's either a decent career or a decent family. You can't have both or it will have a negative effect on the other one. If you're a careerist as a woman, your children will pay for it (unless their father stays at home :smile: but the kids will still complain their mums don't care enough about them)
I'm a woman and I want to be a successful scientist, and honestly, it takes a lot of time to develop myself and to study, I don't see myself having a kids and a huge family, the two are just simply mutually exclusive. The mid-way would be to be an average scientists and having a family, but I don't want to be average at what I'm doing.

I agree Miss, we humans all have our limits. It's either this or that, we just really can't have it both ways. I think this video about work-life balance illustrates your point quite well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPR3o6Hnf2g
Original post by Nurne
And this is why.
Men are 97% of combat fatalities.
Men pay 97% of alimony.
Men make up 94% of work suicides.
Men make up 93% of work fatalities.
Men make up 81% of all war deaths.
Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.
Men make up 80% of all suicides.
Men make up 77% of homicide victims.
Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.
Men get 63% longer sentences for the same crime.
Court bias against men is at least 6 times worse than racial bias.
Men make up 60-80% of those who are homeless.
Women's cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's cancers

If you want sources, ask me and I will provide them.

What a successful patriarchy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending