Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've found a job I'd like to do over Summer and although I haven't specifically done some of the things on the Job Description, I think I have the ability and skills to do so. Under Essential, the Job Description says I should have:
    "Previous experience in a similar environment/role".
    I haven't, this would be my first job.

Should I mention this in the written "Job Requirements" on the application Form
    and say that although I haven't got any experience, I would like the experience.
    Or should I just not mention it, and let them come to that conclusion.

I'm not sure I'll even get the job because it's a very high salary for my first job and they probably want someone who knows what they are doing and who will stay for at least a year- I simply want to work till September before University.

Any Help would be appreciated.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    Never, ever mention anything negative in a job application, leave the employer to spot the gaps themselves. You will have to do your best to show that you have got as much relevant experience as possible, even if not in a similar environment.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with threeportdrift in that you shouldn't be mentioning anything negative on your CV or covering letter. Although, consider that if you are employed by a company who have taken a chance on you and then leave a few months later when they expected you to stay for at least a year, you will be viewed as very unprofessional. It is an unprofessional thing to do and will most likely be noticed by future employers, so this in itself is a negative and the experience gained by a half summer of work is not actual experience (better than nothing, but not by much).

That being said, I think you're right to aim high. You mentioned that you think you have the skills and abilities to perform this job, so remember that your chances of getting hired somewhere are based almost entirely on whether they believe you'd be the right guy for the job. This sounds obvious but you need to fit in at that work place, be able to perform the job better than all of the other candidates etc. So focus on what you could do to prove to them that you can achieve their targets for you, instead of spending all of your energy learning the ropes in a job which you'll be leaving and won't be invested in - companies send new recuits on training courses and set up benefits packages for them etc which costs them a lot of money and so when you join just to leave a few months later, you've cost that company money and time and they gained nothing from it - bad news for any employers who want to email or call for a reference.

I did exactly what you are wanting to do and it bit me in the ass, they told the company I was interviewing with that I was a great worker but joined knowing I would be leaving after a few months and consistently lied about future plans just to get the job. This is the position you will be in - don't put yourself there. Find another way to get the experiene so if that employer is contacted they only have a fantastic response to give. I don't even include that job on my CV anymore and said that I was travelling for those three months.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    Hello, I've found a job I'd like to do over Summer and although I haven't specifically done some of the things on the Job Description, I think I have the ability and skills to do so. Under Essential, the Job Description says I should have:
    "Previous experience in a similar environment/role".
    I haven't, this would be my first job.

Should I mention this in the written "Job Requirements" on the application Form
    and say that although I haven't got any experience, I would like the experience.
    Or should I just not mention it, and let them come to that conclusion.

I'm not sure I'll even get the job because it's a very high salary for my first job and they probably want someone who knows what they are doing and who will stay for at least a year- I simply want to work till September before University.

Any Help would be appreciated.
    I think you should gain relevant experience first; have you thought about the other candidates who may have more experience than you?

At this day and age it is harder for anyone to get a job. This is especially young people and graduates to get a job straight after education when they can't get experience because they can't get a job in the first place. It's a catch 22.

What I would suggest you do is you should say what you have done in the past, any personal experiences in school or college?

ReputationRep:
    I would say - yes, for sure. But at the same time, for many specific positions educational degree plays more important role. Talking about medical students, university degree and residency program are vital for further career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.