Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Self aware AI - the greatest threat to human kind? What do you think? Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Technology is advancing at a crazy speed. If scientists are able to made a self aware AI that is full able to make their own decisions what would they make of the human race?

I cannot see how an emotionless AI, driven purely by logic would not see humans as a threat and choose to wipe us out.

What do you think? Is it even within the realms of possibility to create such a being?

ReputationRep:
    I did an extended essay on this topic... very interesting.
    I got more and more paranoid as I did more research.
    What will happen will probably be based on the original purpose of the AI programmed in the first place?

I think I read about this scenario and it seemed plausible to me although I haven't given it enough thought:
    AI is given goal -> in order to work it needs to survive -> the planet has to survive -> humans are destroying planet -> wipe out humans to keep working -> achieve goal
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Azarashi)
    I did an extended essay on this topic... very interesting.
    I got more and more paranoid as I did more research.
    What will happen will probably be based on the original purpose of the AI programmed in the first place?

I think I read about this scenario and it seemed plausible to me although I haven't given it enough thought:
    AI is given goal -> in order to work it needs to survive -> the planet has to survive -> humans are destroying planet -> wipe out humans to keep working -> achieve goal
    Exactly. My concern is when an AI becomes intelligent enough to re-write it's own coding and protocols - thus essentially evolving but at an increased rate. This would mean that it's original purpose would become irrelevant as it became more and more advanced. We would surely be doomed in that scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are a bigger threat. If we can brainwash people into thinking anything and have them do things for a cause then for an AI it would be possible I think.
    Humans, have a logical mind and can digest a lot of information- however we also do this with Emotions and a need to survive (whether we know it or not) and so presented with the same evidence-say expansion of the universe- people can reach different conclusions.

For AI would it have to reach the same conclusion? Or would we be able to program it to think in a way that's like us- ie. in the fact that faced with something we don't know we can A. Fear it, B. Shrug it off and put it to something else- God C. Explore it. D. Ignore it.

If you programmed the AI in such a way that it appreciates life/human life then you could perhaps control it that way, without it's knowing. Just like us.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I welcome our robot overlords. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    Exactly. My concern is when an AI becomes intelligent enough to re-write it's own coding and protocols - thus essentially evolving but at an increased rate. This would mean that it's original purpose would become irrelevant as it became more and more advanced. We would surely be doomed in that scenario.
    But unlike humans, they don't have an instinct to survive or have any selfishness. What if the goal instilled in it was to help humans however possible, could life be infinitely better due to our superintelligent helpers?

ReputationRep:
    Technology is advancing at a crazy speed. If scientists are able to made a self aware AI that is full able to make their own decisions what would they make of the human race?

I cannot see how an emotionless AI, driven purely by logic would not see humans as a threat and choose to wipe us out.

What do you think? Is it even within the realms of possibility to create such a being?
    I completely agree. Once the singularity is reached (possibly in the next 15 years), there is no going back really. AI will become millions of times more intelligent than humans and we won't really have a purpose. It's definitely the biggest threat to our existence.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    Humans are a bigger threat. If we can brainwash people into thinking anything and have them do things for a cause then for an AI it would be possible I think.
    Humans, have a logical mind and can digest a lot of information- however we also do this with Emotions and a need to survive (whether we know it or not) and so presented with the same evidence-say expansion of the universe- people can reach different conclusions.

For AI would it have to reach the same conclusion? Or would we be able to program it to think in a way that's like us- ie. in the fact that faced with something we don't know we can A. Fear it, B. Shrug it off and put it to something else- God C. Explore it. D. Ignore it.

If you programmed the AI in such a way that it appreciates life/human life then you could perhaps control it that way, without it's knowing. Just like us.
    Good points. I think the main risk would come when/if the AI became advanced enough to shrug off the human programming and start to 'improve' its own code.Essentially if the AI becomes more intelligent than us and self aware it would operate by its own set of rules. In which case we'd be gonners.

ReputationRep:

It probably will be possible one day. And there are idiots around who think these machines should be given the same rights as humans.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    But unlike humans, they don't have an instinct to survive or have any selfishness. What if the goal instilled in it was to help humans however possible, could life be infinitely better due to our superintelligent helpers?
    It's difficult to imagine a self aware intelligence that wouldn't protect it's own existence over others, especially when emotions are removed from the equation. I think at the point that an AI becomes truly self aware that it would not tolerate our existence. I just wonder if it is scientifically possible for a machine to have such an awareness?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by chopinfan)
    I completely agree. Once the singularity is reached (possibly in the next 15 years), there is no going back really. AI will become millions of times more intelligent than humans and we won't really have a purpose. It's definitely the biggest threat to our existence.
    Exactly right. I think for me the question is whether or not it is actually possible for AI to become so advanced that it becomes truly self aware? If it is possible then it should never be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Good points. I think the main risk would come when/if the AI became advanced enough to shrug off the human programming and start to 'improve' its own code.Essentially if the AI becomes more intelligent than us and self aware it would operate by its own set of rules. In which case we'd be gonners.
    Well can we? Surely it's fixed from birth and development? In the same way that people hold their views (religion/morals/God- no offense intended) from Childhood firmly.

If we haven't been able to do it for ourselves then I don't think we could purposefully create such and AI. Sure the AI would be able to to change it's own code but you could program a system in that certain parts are too high risk for the AI to touch. If you programmed it to be stable and low risk- to simply exist then it shouldn't go after core components of itself.

I did hear that DARPA have a plan to start wiring up people to computers using a cable interface into their necks. It's solely in planning (Officially) stages at the moment but it raises the question of what we could do when plugged into a machine.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to imagine a self aware intelligence that wouldn't protect it's own existence over others, especially when emotions are removed from the equation. I think at the point that an AI becomes truly self aware that it would not tolerate our existence. I just wonder if it is scientifically possible for a machine to have such an awareness?
    In my opinion, consciousness can probably be explained in scientific terms in the future. But some would argue only living creatures can be aware, due to souls or whatever it is they believe.
    Since if all the cells in a brain can be theoretically replicated, I don't see how conscious AI would be impossible.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    In my opinion, consciousness can probably be explained in scientific terms in the future. But some would argue only living creatures can be aware, due to souls or whatever it is they believe.
    Since if all the cells in a brain can be theoretically replicated, I don't see how conscious AI would be impossible.
    It's a really interesting concept. Would emotions come as a package deal with self awareness? Could an AI experience emotion? So many questions - I wonder if we'll ever get the answers to them...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I don't see AI in general as any sort of threat. :no: I think it's fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    It's a really interesting concept. Would emotions come as a package deal with self awareness? Could an AI experience emotion? So many questions - I wonder if we'll ever get the answers to them...
    Emotions are ultimately caused by chemicals, so maybe this is possible? In a theoretical brain replica, if nerves are given stimuli, why can't there be emotions?
    I would like to say many more things, but in my research this article has been fascinating. Give it a read if you have the time

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artifi...olution-1.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.