Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a Biological Sciences Student and am taking a placement year next year. I already have a placement lined up but was wondering how I could improve my career prospects during the year. I have done a fair amount of extracurricular activities and I'm going to try to get a weekend job. I also have some work related qualifications eg first aid, child safeguarding, diversity in the workplace, driving license etc.I was thinking about doing an online computer course of some kind (Microsoft Office or something). I saw one advertised a while ago at uni but can't find it now! Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2007PSanHa)
    Hello, I'm a Biological Sciences Student and am taking a placement year next year. I already have a placement lined up but was wondering how I could improve my career prospects during the year. I have done a fair amount of extracurricular activities and I'm going to try to get a weekend job. I also have some work related qualifications eg first aid, child safeguarding, diversity in the workplace, driving license etc.I was thinking about doing an online computer course of some kind (Microsoft Office or something). I saw one advertised a while ago at uni but can't find it now! Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!
    It sounds like with the years placement you largely have the experience issue ticked off. What I might suggest if possible is looking at job applications for jobs you want to do, or if you don't know what to do, get researching and look at the requirements for them- if you see something you aren't covering in your placement it might be worth asking if you can do that. Personally I wouldn't bother with an online computer course unless job descriptions require 'full proficiency in Excel' or the like but even then real world examples would be better.

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks for the advice! I know most graduate jobs require A levels far higher than but I can't really change that so I'll see what else I can do. Might still go ahead with the computer course though as I've never been terribly confident with them. For me it would be more to improve my IT skills than for my CV!
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    It sounds like with the years placement you largely have the experience issue ticked off. What I might suggest if possible is looking at job applications for jobs you want to do, or if you don't know what to do, get researching and look at the requirements for them- if you see something you aren't covering in your placement it might be worth asking if you can do that. Personally I wouldn't bother with an online computer course unless job descriptions require 'full proficiency in Excel' or the like but even then real world examples would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2007PSanHa)
    OK, thanks for the advice! I know most graduate jobs require A levels far higher than but I can't really change that so I'll see what else I can do. Might still go ahead with the computer course though as I've never been terribly confident with them. For me it would be more to improve my IT skills than for my CV!
    Are you trying to say here that you don't meet the UCAS points requirements for some of the graduate schemes? If so not all graduate schemes require them nowdays and there are also graduate jobs outside of these schemes where they don't specify a minimum at A-Level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.