Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, basically i have failed my first year of LSE as i have failed ST102 and MA100. I am not sure of my options and what they could entail, if theres anyone that has been in this situation and can help me i would appreciate it. Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Have you looked at the rules?
    They normally offer you a resit, but capped at 40%.
    Go and talk to an advisor in the SU or read the rules or talk to someone in your department.

ReputationRep:
    If you fail two modules (i.e. not even a third) you have to resit the year, choice of repeat tuition is yours at a fee. Fail one and you progress to the next year but make it up with the rest of your second year exams. I know personally those who failed their first year, still got a 2.1 overall and are starting jobs this summer. It's not preferable but hardly the end of the world!

Unless they've changed the rules recently, that's how it should be anyways.

LSE resits are not capped as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/staff/...tion3/311.aspx

This appears to explain your options.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think its better to do repeat teaching or continue as an unregistered student?

ReputationRep:
    Repeat teaching costs money. However, If you go as an unregistered student, you won't get any funding from student finance. Not sure about if you'd have to pay council tax and the like too. If that's a concern and you don't really care for repeat teaching, you could just get tuition for one module for the sake of financing.

Otherwise, if you think you need it, get it, if not, don't.

Motivation can be difficult when you're an unregistered student and you have no reason to come to LSE, so bear that in mind too. A year is a long time to review material you've already seen once and can be quite boring, having weekly assignments to hand in can help stop procrastination.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know whether i would have to pay the full 9000 or a reduced amount as it is only 2 modules?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It would be a reduced amount. How much then you need to ask the people in charge of fees. Check with LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reason for this? Illness, depression? If so you need to pursue every route to ensure you're not at a disadvantage. Next year get a note from the GP, go to the Disability & Wellbeing Office, get an ISSA put in place, speak to your academic advisor, defer exams if you must. Depending on your circumstances repeat teaching may be free. There are ways out of your situation you just need to utilise the tools available.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the advice above, if MA100 and ST102 are too mathematical for you, talk to your academic advisor about switching into the half modules MA107 and ST107 with an outside option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    join to the club! I failed too ! but MA100 and AC100! I just got repeat teaching, wtbt u ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.