Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an A*AA offer (including maths) to do economics at Durham but I'm pretty sure I got A*A*B with the B in maths. Are they likely to still accept? Also if I apply as a post a-levle applicant can I still apply to courses with AAA or above offers if I a retaking some of the maths modules to get an A?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 6764)
    I have an A*AA offer (including maths) to do economics at Durham but I'm pretty sure I got A*A*B with the B in maths. Are they likely to still accept? Also if I apply as a post a-levle applicant can I still apply to courses with AAA or above offers if I a retaking some of the maths modules to get an A?
    Have a read of http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...on-results-day

It's impossible to predict what universities will do.

Be warned though - Durham have a history of sitting on near miss applicants for 3-4 days after the results come out (or for IB students - weeks) before deciding whether to accept or reject them.

ReputationRep:
    It would be equivalent in terms of UCAS points right so it couldn't be classed as a "near miss"? Or do Durham look at the actual grades rather than the UCAS ponts that correspond to them?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by chloeabeki)
    It would be equivalent in terms of UCAS points right so it couldn't be classed as a "near miss"? Or do Durham look at the actual grades rather than the UCAS ponts that correspond to them?
    If an offer states grades then you only meet the offer if you get those grades. Getting a B in maths when they've specified an A or A* for an economics degree does not meet the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeabeki)
    If the university wants a bottom line of nothing lower than A across the board, then that is what it wants, not a points equivalent. Durham isn't in the position of having to be kind to anyone, and as PQ points out, in past years, their conduct of the Clearing process has been anything but.

ReputationRep:
    My expected offer (for EE at So'ton) was A*AA. When I actually received the offer, it stated A*AA or A*A*B. Goes to show that they do often see it as equivalent, but that might have been due to my subjects as I had three relevant ones.

Problem is that if your B is in maths, that's likely the one they'd see as the most important.

You would have missed the offer, but that doesn't equal rejection, just make sure you call them up on the day (if it is like that) and see if they'll still let you in. Could always enquire directly in advance too.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.