Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for universities such as Imperial, Warwick, Bristol and I need some help with my personal statement. I have no work experience that is directly related to computer science, just a part time job to earn money as a waiter. I've read a few books now on various subjects in computer science but I was just wondering what other stuff the universities look for when considering applicants and what will make me stand out? I've heard doing programming projects may be quite good. All ideas would be welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Top uni's. Definitley mention the books.
    With regards to work experience, start cold calling IT / Computer firms within your town or anywhere else to offer you a potential internship (non paid) and write that on your PS. Volantary work is very good as well. Finally little computer projects could be very good.. making a website, or a piece of code which benefits a organisation of some sort would be amazing in the eyes of a admin tutor.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by PmpMan)
    I'm hoping to apply for universities such as Imperial, Warwick, Bristol and I need some help with my personal statement. I have no work experience that is directly related to computer science, just a part time job to earn money as a waiter. I've read a few books now on various subjects in computer science but I was just wondering what other stuff the universities look for when considering applicants and what will make me stand out? I've heard doing programming projects may be quite good. All ideas would be welcome.
    See the stickied thread in the Personal Statement Advice forum for some ideas.

Even if you aren't applying to Oxford they offer some very good advice: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/un..._look_for.html and http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/un...statement.html and http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/un..._to_avoid.html

ReputationRep:
    talk about the topics that interested you in the book you read. talk about some projects you've programmed. if you want some project ideas, write a simultaneous equation calculator or a tangent-equation calculator. mess around with c++ and write a little game or some other cool sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I wasn't expecting fast replies. Really appreciate this

ReputationRep:
    Hi I applied to all the unis you mentioned and got an offer from all of them. I didn't do any work experience either so maybe my personal statement could be a good idea of what you could do. I can send it to you if you want?

ReputationRep:
    If not a good idea is to read books, got to projects and see things. The important thing is to not just leave it there but to go on and talk about what you did after you saw those things, for example you could have made a similar program as the one you read or saw.

Since computer science isn't all about computers and programming, try to put in some things you've done in other subjects such as maths, physics etc, languages is something interesting too! Maybe you've entered a competition, maybe you've done some tutoring, it could even be a club you go to sometimes in school. There's a lot of things you could talk about.

Don't forget to put those little things at the end of your statement such as extra curricular. Also try to tie it in with computing if you can. For example if you can speak another language maybe you could talk about how you read science articles from that country and maybe how knowing a different language can help you process using different languages in programming. If you're in a sports team maybe you could talk about how that's helped you work in a team which could come in handy in group projects at uni etc.

Hopefully what I've written has helped you out a little. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think quoting from books is great but you have to link it to how it formed your own views on something or to highlight a point.

I would definitely get some small computing projects in there, even if it's only something you learn online over a few weeks. You can get fairly competent with python very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    It's important to say why you're interested in computing and what you want to do with it. Be ambitious.

You could try doing online programming tutorials so you can say how you're trying to learn on your own and how you find it enjoyable.

You can also try volunteering. Volunteers are often needed to help older people use computers. Since some benefits are applied for online, some job centres have volunteer run computer lessons. Some charity organisations also need volunteers for that. So see what's around you if you have the time.

You don't even have to volunteer somewhere related to computers. Any kind of volunteering is a good show of character so if you don't have many activities you can talk about, it would still be a plus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakedPotatoast)
    Hi I applied to all the unis you mentioned and got an offer from all of them. I didn't do any work experience either so maybe my personal statement could be a good idea of what you could do. I can send it to you if you want?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I also want to apply computer science. Could you please send your PS to me, I want to have a look to find some inspiration. Thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by y1999zk)
    Hi, I also want to apply computer science. Could you please send your PS to me, I want to have a look to find some inspiration. Thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Please don't ask other people to send you their PS, they may want/need to reuse it in the future and there is a risk of plagiarism. There are lots of examples on TSR and guidance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for Computer Science for next year and have no idea how to build on it. Could you send me your personal statement too so I have an idea on what to write?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Pinkyprincessxxx)
    I'm looking to apply for Computer Science for next year and have no idea how to build on it. Could you send me your personal statement too so I have an idea on what to write?
    The user hasn't been online in months. Talk about what you've found interesting in CS and why

ReputationRep:
    hey, is there any chance i could get ur personal statement? x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bbeSk)
    hey, is there any chance i could get ur personal statement? x
    As has already been said in this thread, it's unfair to ask people to send their PSs - they may want to reuse it and there is the risk of plagiarism if they send it to anyone else

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.