The Student Room Group

HELP! Failed First year uni by 1 PERCENT!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Being an international student I don't really know about the NHS procedures, I was a assigned to a **** GP who dint know much about knee injuries, and it took me awhile to get a proper MRI test, hence it took quite a while for me to get the proper treatment I needed. I take business management, and I'm very sure it's the right course and right uni for me, as I enjoyed the environment and got good marks for my other modules. Everything only came apart when I suffered that bad knee injury, which I never came to terms with as I'm an athlete on scholarship and playing sports was a big part of my life. I admit that I did not really like the single compulsory module( statistics) and did not really study hard for it, but I was really demotivated at that point. I'm now just going to focus on the resits

Original post by infairverona
What does being an international student have to do with it?

You need to be honest with yourself - if you worked hard through the year and revised hard for the exam and still ended up with 13% I would be seriously considering whether that course, that uni, or uni at all is the right place for you to be. If you didn't like that module or you didn't work as hard all year as you could or should have, I would just work hard to pass it in the resits but you will need to work harder next year or you risk graduating with a bad grade.

You should've asked for extenuating circumstances if you were in that much pain. There's no glory or pride in struggling through then whining when you get a terrible grade. If you'd asked them at the time they probably would've allowed you to resit in August without a cap. If your university has similar policies to the two unis I've attended, you will, at best, be allowed a resit with a cap of 40%.
Reply 21
Original post by doodle_333
well firstly, you need to do your work yourself... if I was your lecturer I would be watching you like a hawk after those marks for any sign of cheating, it sounds like you must have had a lot of help given your end result

being an international student has nothing to do with anything, you must be able to speak reasonable english (as demonstrated by your posts, I wouldn't have geussed you weren't english) so you can't blame that... and plenty of international students do very well at uni

if you're an athlete I understand a torn ACL must be distressing but I doubt you would get impaired performance for that anyway so you can't use it as an excuse

I would suggest trying to get in touch with someone to find out exactly how you did so badly so you can try and fix it

Technically a torn acl can cause impairment physically, mainly through the knee giving way at random times. Yeah your probably right, I will try to work it out and improve my performance and try my best in the resits in august.
Original post by Wroetoshaw
Being an international student I don't really know about the NHS procedures, I was a assigned to a **** GP who dint know much about knee injuries, and it took me awhile to get a proper MRI test, hence it took quite a while for me to get the proper treatment I needed. I take business management, and I'm very sure it's the right course and right uni for me, as I enjoyed the environment and got good marks for my other modules. Everything only came apart when I suffered that bad knee injury, which I never came to terms with as I'm an athlete on scholarship and playing sports was a big part of my life. I admit that I did not really like the single compulsory module( statistics) and did not really study hard for it, but I was really demotivated at that point. I'm now just going to focus on the resits

OK that's fair enough. If your other modules are good then maybe it's just that one off module but 13% is still a bit worrying. I found uni a big step up from A level but your best bet is meeting with a tutor to find out where you're going wrong, if you are able to do that over the summer. If not can you find a friend who did well in that module to help you? Next year, make good use of formative assessments and office hours. I went up about 2 grades when I started actually doing formative stuff and then discussing it with tutors, and going to office hours if I didn't understand something from a seminar or whatever. It's tempting to just think 'I'll work it out later' but you probably won't
Lol if you think a torn CRUCIATE ligament, not just some random ligament, will not give you mental distress, you should go try it. The amount of pain i had for the first two weeks and giving way of the knee was so excruciatingly tough I was constantly going in and out of the hospital. I think I could bring a good case up for them, but at the mean time I'm thinking of just resitting the exam now and see how it goes

You dont seem to understand how exams and appeals procedures work.

Yoi arent bringing a good case because you are too late.

If the injury had affected you then you need to apply before the exam or soon after. Too late once your result is known.
If it was so obviously impeding you, then its on your own head for not checking the riles and saying you were ill or unable to take the exam.

You said yourself you didnt study hard. If thats the case why should they let you pass? As already be said they are probably highly suspicious of you getting 78% in coursework and 13% in your exam, thaty's a glaring disparity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
In the exams I didn't really revised well and understood the application of the formulas. Im now trying my best to understand and do some practices while at the same time frequently emailing my tutors for help. Do you reckon that the resit exams would be similar to that of the original exam?

Original post by infairverona
OK that's fair enough. If your other modules are good then maybe it's just that one off module but 13% is still a bit worrying. I found uni a big step up from A level but your best bet is meeting with a tutor to find out where you're going wrong, if you are able to do that over the summer. If not can you find a friend who did well in that module to help you? Next year, make good use of formative assessments and office hours. I went up about 2 grades when I started actually doing formative stuff and then discussing it with tutors, and going to office hours if I didn't understand something from a seminar or whatever. It's tempting to just think 'I'll work it out later' but you probably won't
In the exams I didn't really revised well and understood the application of the formulas. Im now trying my best to understand and do some practices while at the same time frequently emailing my tutors for help. Do you reckon that the resit exams would be similar to that of the original exam?

It will be a different paper so the content will be the same as the module content but the questions will be different. The format should be similar though e.g. if its essays, questions or whatever (sorry I don't know much about your course). Are there any past papers available to you that you can look at for types of question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending