Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Rockhound's Awesome and also Cool Summer Bucket List.
    "60% of the time, the photos in this post make people happy every time" - Brian Fantana

"That doesn't make sense" - Ron Burgundy
    j
    j
    My name is Wil and I've never kept a blog, I've never even made a thread on here so when I saw the email about the competition I thought it would be a good place to start and to share photos of things that I plan on doing during the summer. Since this is my first post I thought I'd go for a lighthearted Anchorman theme to set the mood . A lot of the stuff involves things that I've wanted to do with my friends and now may be my last chance before going to University. I love heights and the feeling of being up in the air either climbing or just anywhere really. I've also never been much of a swimmer (I was still in the kiddy pool in Year 8) so I thought I'd start of the list with a twist . It's something I've always liked the idea of doing. I've tried to get a range of things in my list so that there is a great combo of photos available at the end for me to look back on when I leave home.

1. Scuba Dive
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This was one of the things I was most excited for. I'd always wanted to go Scuba Diving but because I'd only ever been on family holidays before, I never got the chance as it was was "Dangerous" or "Expensive". I completed the beginners introduction too Scuba Diving and a second dive where I went as deep as 11 Meters with a very helpful bloke who was completing his Dive Master qualification on the same day.

Safe to say the fish in the area don't go hungry! They were very friendly and did not mind getting in your face!
    Name:  scuba 2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  147.9 KB

One of the more colourful fish I encountered.

My friend Arran introduced me to Scuba diving, we're planning on going to either Greece or Malta in January so that I can do my PADI Open Water Advanced course, I'm worried I'll have to choose between Scuba or Sky Diving because of the cost of implications of both courses.
    2. Sky dive
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Unfortunately Swansea Skydive wont allow me to use my Gopro there policy is you must have done 200 dives, I will get a photo in all the gear and I'll try to get the best photos I can! So everyone provisionally (as long as my friend can make it) I will be sky diving from 12500ft for the first time ever next Friday (5th August). I'm really excited and thank you mum and dad for a great 18th Birthday present. When they gave the voucher to me the first words said were "Because you're so accident prone we decided to get you ...... " Is it me or are they trying to get rid of me?

Sky diving is so much fun it was easily one of the best things I've done on this list! Here is me and my partner in stupidity .
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  75.3 KB

My brother hasn't figured out how to focus yet hence this photo. The other photos were taken by my dad... through a fence.... which is why they're not here

Me and Rob are considering doing another Tandem around October time, and another in January. I want to get more tandems done before I think about taking the AFF course which allows you to train to become a solo skydiver! It's quite pricey but by doing the tandems at Swansea within 3 months of each other allows you to get a discount on each one. The AFF course is also £495, followed by a payment for each jump, but if you don't **** the ones you pay for up you can get qualified in 7 jumps.
    3. Parasail
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I love being high and up and the feeling of looking down so I knew i had to try this it was a great experience and I'd do it again. Instead of views just being high rise hotels and beaches it was beautiful looking out over the forested mountains making numerous little bays coves in the area.

Don't you just love the accuracy and sharpness of a GoPro.

The views from the sky of Marmaris and Icemeler was well worth the 170 Lira!

4. Jump off a waterfall
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hope this counts as off the waterfall , it was actually higher than the waterfall.

And one of me hitting the water.

Sorry but they're screenshots from a video. This is located in Cwmrheidol (Fishladder) near Aberystwyth. It's a popular destination among those with an interest in throwing themselves into rough water but I've only ever had one bad experience where I was dragged into an Undercurrent and was frantically trying to reach the surface for like 40 seconds, don't worry though I'm alive.
    5. See Dolphins for the first time
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This one was in Marmaris, Turkey at a Dolphin Sanctuary. It was a great experience and I went on a Dolphin spotting boat trip with my girlfriend the following week in Cardigan Bay, didn't see any but got to chat to some reps from Sea Watch. They were out to photograph the dorsal fins for their database as each dolphin has a completely unique dorsal fin that allows them to be identified.

"Hello, and welcome to the 3:10 Dolphin Show at Sea World, sponsored by British Petroleum. BP Oil, nature’s best friend. And now, here’s your host, Ron Burgundy" - Announcer

"I would eat Dolphins if it was legal!" - Ron Burgundy

"Every morning I get here a half hour early and I Sexually assault a Starfish!" - Ron Burgundy
    6. Explore an abandoned mine
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is an abandoned Mine in Cwmystwyth, Wales. Me and my friends spent a good half an hour crawling through a pipe to get in there. More (Better) pictures soon as another trip down is overdue. It was Originally a lead mine and it still has great features inside it such as mine kart tracks and candles dotted in little inlets in the walls. It was like stepping back through time.

"You know what they call bats?" "Bats?" "Chicken of the cave" - Champ Kind

They're not exactly better pictures but there's more of them.

Me and my friend in one of the larger chambers, we managed to pause being worried about the fact it looked like something from "The Descent" to take a photo.

Some of the rail tracks looking a little worse for wear, better than the ones that were underwater.

These are the ladders that lead up to the main chamber and all I can say is that the people who must have built all of this must have had some serious balls as that was like a 20 Metre vertical drop.
    7. Mountain bike more
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I started Mountain Biking at a fairly young age due to being so close to quite a lot of good trail centers and some unofficial tracks. When A2's began it was harder to get out on the bike as much so haven't had a chance to get a proper sesh in, Buuuuuuuuut, A2's can F**k Off and now its time to actually enjoy the great scenery and biking spots near me before i disappear for 3 or 4 years.
    Example of something you may find near a bike track, a Wild Rob!

This photo is the view from the top of the Syfydrin Trail, overlooking Ponterwyd. I went with my friend Tom here and you really don't realise how much you missed something until you do it again even if there was an over the handlebars incident because I haven't biked properly in like 6 months. Toms on a 2013 Specialized Camber Comp and I was on a 2014 Boardman Comp.

This photo was a few hours later near the top of "The Reaper", a secret, not so secret track at Nant Yr Arian. It's a 'If you know you know if you don't you don't basis' it's an absolute nightmare to try and find if you have no idea like we did at the star "Hint" Think Bottom of leg burner before the pipe "Hint". There's a great sign at the top that says "The Reaper" and it's made out of old bike chains, The photo I have of it is awful so this will have to do, the sunset combined with the hanging modern art piece made of disk breaks.

Have managed to out three times this week ) It's been great but its been awkward to keep my GoPro charged and the memory card empty.

This photo had to be taken quickly because the top of the mushroom tree thing started to tip over.

8. Go horse riding
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Girlfriends Horse to the rescue, hopefully Wallace is up for letting me take him out ( at a slow pace because of all the things on here this is what I'm most nervous about)
    After riding Wallace once before I achieved this just before results day, must say it is as scary as you think its going to be, I was constantly looking for pedals. Think I'll stick to Bikes, Diving and Jumping out of planes - That's Olivias dog Molly.
    "There were horses, a man on fire and I killed a man with a trident" - Brick Tamland

9. Climb Anything High
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This tower I climbed just outside of Borth, its roughly 35 Meters (I classify it has high when you're on the outside with no gear ) Big bales for Scale and also a horse, could have come in handy for number 8.

This one was higher at about 50 Meters, the scale is a bit off though because of the angle of the photo and although its a nicer day it was insanely windy at the top. The picture was taken at the top platform around 3M from the top because the pictures that I took at the top look terrible (if they're needed though then I'll happily upload them.) The views from the top were absolutely stunning as you could see down the coastline even though I had to squint from the Wind and Sun.

This one is higher than the first one but smaller than the second one at around 40 Meters. That's why I was stupid enough to take this photo. it was really misty so I thought it looked cool as a background too, apologies for the hair . I was Cycling down the hill from Nant Yr Arian into Penrhyncoch when I noticed the Sea Mist. It looked like a Blanket over the hills on either side of the Village with only this tower poking through them at the peak of a hill, my first thought was "I should climb that".
    10. Quad bike riding
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hope to complete this one soon

Have completed this one now, will upload photos as soon as i can.

Sorry for the quality but I forgot about this one hence the bad quality.

I did have a good video of Olivias golden retreiver Bertie chasing me but I can't find it anywhere.

11. Always be wearing a watch
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm quite the horologist and won't go anywhere unless I'm wearing a watch, be it a G-shock, Armani, Invincta, Panerai or a Fake Rolex from Turkey (I'll get one one day )

12. Visit a country you need a visa to travel to
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ticked off, first time visiting Turkey was a great experience and Marmaris was a beautiful town. I flew back a week before the Coup and it's awful what the people are going through. I hope it settles soon as everyone I met in Marmaris was polite, friendly and helpful. Shout out to the geordie with bleached hair that went around asking in shops for help when a cash point swallowed my card, hope you had a great holiday.
    Example of the surrounding backdrop in the area where I was staying.

13. To be happy on results day regardless
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I haven't booked a day off from work for this so I'm going to have to run from the University to my school . I'm looking forward to results day more than I am nervous for it because more than anything I want to know how I did in each exam rather than grades overall. I've arranged with some friends from my Geology class that we're going to share some 10 year old Arran Single Malt Scotch to remember the trip that we took there and all of the other trips we went on, hopefully the Facebook chat name will remain Whiskologists trip to Arran as we did manage to maintain the tradition of bringing a bottle of whiskey on every trip .
    Let's be honest, if someone says they weren't nervous for results they were lying. My day has gone well, I've been accepted to study Computing at Leicester but I want to change my course to Geology now . My results were a B in Geology, B in Welsh Bac, C in Product Design and a C in ICT. the results are partly what have made me change my mind about my course but before I applied i kept going back and forth between Comp and Geol and I think I do need to change it now xD. I hope everyone achieved what they were hoping to achieve and you've had a good day .

For the Geologists!

Apologies for the quality, I was trying to take it at the bar before getting weird looks . How do you not take a photo of an Ale made by the Mantle Brewery called MOHO! Another update but I managed to change my course to Geology!

14. Explore some caves
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Found an entrance near Taliesin and although it didn't go very far because of a cave in was still a good 200 Meter horizontal climb to get to that point. Don't plan on going back soon because it would be a waste of time and unfortunately this is the best photo I have. Apologies for my face but hey Rob looks fine .
    15. Enjoy a variety of ciders
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Think of this as something similar to the Beers of the world from Gavin and Stacey.

1. Devon Farmhouse Cider with Raspberry. Surprisingly sweet as I was expecting the sharpness of the apple and raspberries to give it more of an edge. It reminded me of a mixed berry cider. It was quite similar to the Nordic Berry Kopparberg. I must admit that I didn't pair it with a Raspberry Panna Cotta as recommended on the bottle .

2.Hazerdine Orchard Herefordshire Vintage Cider. A stronger cider at 6.5% but the flavor of the apples overpowered the alcohol making it a very mellow drink. Great with a glass of ice on a warm afternoon.

3. Cornish Cloudy Farmhouse Cider. Made by Healey's Cider I must admit I was not a fan of it, whether it was the time of day or how I felt by the taste was too overpowering and at only 4% it was just not a good flavour for me.

4. Old Mout, Passionfruit and Apple. I won't talk about the cider as most people will have heard of it, it's a New Zealand cider thats famously incorrectly pronounced wrong. (according to the bottle ) You Old Romantic

Hope everyone's relaxed and had at least one cold drink this summer .

16. To do what god put me on this earth to do, have salon quality hair and read the news
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm Ron Burgundy.
    17. Go to a zombie survival experience day
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was given this as a birthday present because of my love of all things zombies by my cousin and his fiance so can't wait to get it booked

**Update**

Unfortunately due to my cousin Al being a boring adult and having a job its unlikely we'll get a chance to go during the summer however I will keep this updated if anything changes .
    18. Go to a live music event
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Haven't got any plans for this one yet so we'll just see what happens.

**Update**

I'm volunteering at the festival most local to me that in the last few years has gained quite a large gathering, The Big Tribute Festival takes place on the bank holiday weekend at the end of August which is past the deadline for this competition but I do have some photos from the last two years that I'll upload for you to get a feel for what the festival is like. It's a great opportunity for local up and coming performers to get themselves noticed and lots of local businesses also set up stalls.
    19. Enjoy my job and have a good time at work
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For the Summer I decided to leave the job I was had been at for the previous 2 years. It was at a lumber yard / agricultural merchants so lots of lifting wood around and putting cement or compost in the cars of DIY heroes . It was strange telling my boss that I would no longer be seeing him at half 7 every Saturday (I worked full time in summers as well). Despite my exact words after my first day being "I hate it, I said I would hate it, I'm not going back no one is nice to me" I've made some great friends and met some incredibly funny people.

I left because there was an opportunity for me to work at Aberystwyth University cleaning out the halls and making them ready for anyone staying over the summer (+ it was more pay for less hours ) so yes, if you were at Aber last year I may have cleaned your room, all I can say is you'd be surprised with what some people leave behind, officially I'm not supposed to to talk about what I find but 'cough' Nipple Tassles 'cough'. This job also meant that I could work with friends and have more free time.

So far its Great!!! admitted its not the most glamorous job in the world but its a laugh and all the people are great and mostly student so its great to get to talk to them about Uni life before I hopefully head off in September.

27/07/2016
    My first hangover at work, quite an achievement but due to the fact there are no students it hasn't been worth going out. At quarter to 9 last night I got a text from my friend josh saying "Come for a few in town", and of course I thought yeah, I'll go beat him at a game of pool (I lost, twice) and get a taxi with him before its too late. Fast forward to 10 and I'm in the boot of a Golf so we could squeeze an extra person in the car because "Wil you're the smallest" I disagree but meh, I'm not dead yet. Fast forward again and its 4.45am and I'm in a taxi on the way home, long story short I haven't slept for 36 hours and somehow I got through my shift earlier, checking that Cwrt Mawr has the correct cutelary in each kitchen is a very important task you know .
    20. Read some books off my list
    Spoiler:
    Show

"I have many leather - bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany" - Ron Burgundy

The ones I plan to read are
    • The Girl with all the gifts - Mike Carey ✔

Decided to buy this as soon as i had seen the trailer for the film, which also looks great. I flew through this book so i was disappointed when i finished but it was a great book that kept reminding me of '28 days later' and 'The Last of Us'. It was quite a suspense driven book despite most zombie/infected relying on action to keep the story moving. The quality of the backstory in this book is one of its strongest factors, since it is set 20 years after the initial introduction of the infection it would have suffered greatly if the backstory wasn't up to scratch. Highly recommended to anyone who likes apocalypse style novels. One thing that is achieved impeccably is that it manages to convince you that both opinions are correct in their own ways.

• Red Harvest - Joe Schreiber ✔

Red Harvest is the prequel to an expanded universe Star Wars novel called "Death Troopers". Red Harvest pushes its boundaries further by including more complex themes than simply the Empire and delves deeper into the world of the Sith and their attempts at discovering the key to immortality and the mishaps that occur when doing so (Sith Lightsaber Wielding Zombies). Overall a good book that does the first justice, fast paced action with a constantly changing POV to keep the reader on his/her toes. Recommend this and Death Troopers to any Star Wars fan who is a fan of zombies.

• The American - Martin Booth ✘

• Novelisation of "Dawn of the Dead" - George A. Romero ✔

Absolutely loved this book, first thing the foreword written by Simon Pegg due to his ties with the film Shaun of the Dead is great, the book really captures the original masterpiece by George A. Romero and provides more depth to the story that wasn't achieved in the 1978 film. It compliments both the characters and the apocalyptic atmosphere, the way it describes the biker gang sieging the shopping centre reminded me of the original Mad Max starring Mel Gibson.

• Stay Alive - Simon Kernick ✘

• Those Girls - Chevy Stevens ✔

This was a different style of book to what I am used to as im not normally one for crime books.It took me a while to actually want to read this. It has a very action packed and gripping first half and then the second half slows down before it picks up again, I found the ending to be a bit anticlimactic, but overall it receives a Couldn't put it down if I tried whilst by the pool / 10.

• Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn - halfway
    • ALIEN - Alan Dean Foster ✘
    21. Get on stage and do something embarrassing
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Whilst on holiday, my girlfriend convinced me to enter the "Marmaris Tarzan 2016 Competition", little did I know that I would be playing the part of Jane. The rest of evening had me sitting on a stool in the corner nursing a pint where every now and then I would be picked up by one of the blokes which was then followed by AAAAAAAHH OOOO AHHH AAAAHHH AAAAHHH, when i was thrown over Paul from Scarborough's shoulder in nothing but a leopard print loin cloth and my boxers all I could think was "well isn't this great, I'm going to be known as Jane to everyone here now for the rest of my holiday" but it a took a turn and I knew I was in over my head when Paul smirked at me and said "Do you mind getting Wet" and gestured towards the pool
    22. Absolutely smash this competition
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you to anyone who actually took the time read this / look at it. I really got into it and enjoyed sharing all of the photos with everyone Good luck to everyone else going into first year! I hope you've all had a great summer!

Those interested in how I achieved my figure contact me at [email protected] I was not someone who was dedicated to getting a "summer bod" evidence

"You Stay Classy San Diego" - Ron Burgundy

Apologies for the attached photos at the bottom, I'm not sure what happened and I have tried to have them taken away but they're there anyway, some aren't in the list so enjoy
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rockhound)
    1. Scuba Dive
    2. Sky dive
    3. Parasail
    4. Jump off a waterfall
    5. Go dolphin watching
    6. Explore an abandoned mine
    7. Mountain bike more
    8. Go horse riding
    9. Climb anything high
    10. Quad bike riding
    11. Always be wearing a watch
    12. Visit a country you need a visa to travel to
    13. To be happy on results day regardless
    14. Explore some caves
    15. Enjoy a variety of ciders
    16. Remember to do things that are on this list
    17. Go to a zombie survival experience day
    18. Go to a live music event
    19. Enjoy my job
    20. Absolutely smash this competition.
    Wow, your bucket list is adventurous! Good luck remembering to do the things on the list!

ReputationRep:
    If I could do 1 of those things in my entire lifetime, I'd die a super happy girl :rofl:

Best of luck, genuinely wish I could be half as adventurous as you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepinglions)
    If I could do 1 of those things in my entire lifetime, I'd die a super happy girl :rofl:

Best of luck, genuinely wish I could be half as adventurous as you!
    Thanks! the perks of living in rural west wales

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.