Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I have just graduated with a 2.1 (66%) law degree from a RG Uni. My EC's involve being a brand ambassador for a MC firm and a big 4 firm, student tutor, committee member for two uni societies, student ambassador and volunteering for a law clinic as well as LGBT groups, Disability organisations, etc. Realistically what kind of firms should I apply to, as I feel that all firms look for different things?! I am applying for TC's most probably in September.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I have also attended a number of open days and have done placements here and aborad!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Good chance tbh you will be able to secure one if you apply yourself. Cant see why you would be concerned. Just apply as normal and see what you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mona103)
    Hi everyone, I have just graduated with a 2.1 (66%) law degree from a RG Uni. My EC's involve being a brand ambassador for a MC firm and a big 4 firm, student tutor, committee member for two uni societies, student ambassador and volunteering for a law clinic as well as LGBT groups, Disability organisations, etc. Realistically what kind of firms should I apply to, as I feel that all firms look for different things?! I am applying for TC's most probably in September.
    Thank you
    Sounds like you could apply to any firm and have a half decent chance based on this information alone.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks J-SP! I'm looking to apply to Freshfields and a few US firms but wondering whether my overall grade (66) is 'high' enough! I know that these firms look for other things as well but I guess I'm being overly anxious!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks J-SP! I'm looking to apply to Freshfields and a few US firms but wondering whether my overall grade (66) is 'high' enough! I know that these firms look for other things as well but I guess I'm being overly anxious!
    Definitely being over anxious. Obviously will depend on the spread of your grades (e.g. if you had 66s across the board this would probably be seen better than someone who had low 50s in some modules but bumped up by exceptionally high grades in others), but I'd really struggle to see why a 66 average is not "high" enough. There won't be 1000s of applicants who have an average above that and who have half the other evidence you have mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    You have every chance at any firm so switch it round and look into the firm's you want to apply to.

The fit is very important and that goes both ways

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Definitely being over anxious. Obviously will depend on the spread of your grades (e.g. if you had 66s across the board this would probably be seen better than someone who had low 50s in some modules but bumped up by exceptionally high grades in others), but I'd really struggle to see why a 66 average is not "high" enough. There won't be 1000s of applicants who have an average above that and who have half the other evidence you have mentioned.

Hi JSP. Sorry to disturb you during Christmas time, but I wondering whether it would be possible for you to have a look at one of my applications. It is a personal statement. Would appreciate it alot, but again, I totally understand if you are busy.

Merry Christmas!

ReputationRep:
    Hi JSP. Sorry to disturb you during Christmas time, but I wondering whether it would be possible for you to have a look at one of my applications. It is a personal statement. Would appreciate it alot, but again, I totally understand if you are busy.

Merry Christmas!
    Sure - not sure when I'll get a chance to look over it given the festive break though, so if you want to submit it soon I might not be able to get back to you quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Sure - not sure when I'll get a chance to look over it given the festive break though, so if you want to submit it soon I might not be able to get back to you quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you-I just sent it to you via PM. If you could get back to me before the new year-that would be ideal, but anytime you can have a glance at it-please let me know what you think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.