Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Offer Post Vacation Scheme? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wondering when is normal to hear post vacation scheme after first intake? Cheers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeIsIt)
    Wondering when is normal to hear post vacation scheme after first intake? Cheers
    Could be anything from a day or two through to when all their vacation schemes are finished. Some firms will offer as soon as possible, others will wait to see all their vac schemers and then decide who to offer out of all the cohorts, rather than giving first preference to the vac schemers who just happen to come in first. Should have asked the firm while you were on the vac scheme!

ReputationRep:
    I got my TC offer a month after I completed my scheme. One heck of a wait.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.Im just wondering if you get offered the chance to apply for a training contract at the end of a vac scheme and say no (for example you may not be sure commercial law is right for you, want to look at other options etc) would this put you at a disadvantage if you then decided to apply for a training contract at that firm in say the following year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rend82)
    Hi all.Im just wondering if you get offered the chance to apply for a training contract at the end of a vac scheme and say no (for example you may not be sure commercial law is right for you, want to look at other options etc) would this put you at a disadvantage if you then decided to apply for a training contract at that firm in say the following year?
    Depends on the firm's attitude to this really. I worked for one firm that actively encouraged people who weren't sure to defer their TC interview until they were sure. Although a lot of firms probably have the same attitude, there are probably some who will get more concerned about it.

Probably best to gauge the firm's attitude to this during the vacation scheme. Ask the graduate recruiter what they would suggest given their recruitment processes.

One disadvantage you may have is that they can't keep the opportunity open for you. It is more likely you will only be able to be considered for the intake they are recruiting in the next cycle (so a start date 1 year later than you could start).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.