Turn on thread page Beta

begging letter or school medical letter? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    our son has a conditional offer of ABB (his Firm) for a course that usually asks for AAB. Not RG but populat Uni and course. He has had IBS and investigations for coeliac etc which are inconclusive so far His school said they could write a letter saying this might have had some impact on results. I'm not sure. Do Uni think this is whinging? What about if he writes a begging, 'please take me even if I miss grade? or is this just sad?? Or do we just keep fingers crossed for August?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merleauponty)
    our son has a conditional offer of ABB (his Firm) for a course that usually asks for AAB. Not RG but populat Uni and course. He has had IBS and investigations for coeliac etc which are inconclusive so far His school said they could write a letter saying this might have had some impact on results. I'm not sure. Do Uni think this is whinging? What about if he writes a begging, 'please take me even if I miss grade? or is this just sad?? Or do we just keep fingers crossed for August?
    Get the letter in now BEFORE results as they can take this into consideration when they get your son's results [which is several days before he will get them]. It's much better to say this now rather than later ...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    If the university has an extenuating circumstances policy then the school/referee could contact the university, a begging letter will not do any good at all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It's MUCH better to send a letter from his referee than from you or him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If the school is offering to do it they would still really need a Doctor's note to make it worth doing, if not it doesn't have a lot of standing in terms of an "extenuating circumstance". I know quite few people with IBS and as i'm aware it's never affected their work or study, but it depends how severe his symptoms are. Personally I wouldn't do it, I don't think it would benefit. Either way hopefully his results will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Medical *and* school *and* now.... and ask them to be very specific about how symptoms, medical appointments, hospital stays and how they actually affected *his* preparation and functioning on the exam day or you might be up against a notion like DangerousBox's that it isn't that big a deal and it is mere post hoc rationalisation.

The exams were over several weeks ago - were you hoping for some sort of definite diagnosis before raising it? It all seems rather late to be doing this... or is he on treatment now and you are all realising for the first time how poorly he was because of how much better he is? Either way, get this organised fast with school, get evidence of appointments and so on.

It is up to the exam boards what they do with the information but they can't act on information they don't have.

I found this out the hard way (fortunately the second time my performance was affected I was at least able to re-sit and not have to re-do anything as I was already at university but the staff were really exasperated as they said I *would* have passed first time had they known....)

ReputationRep:
    To add to the above, if your son's symptoms do affect his ability to study, take exams etc., then he should apply for Disabled Students Allowance to cover him at uni. He does not need a formal diagnosis, just a letter from a GP, consultant etc., describing him symptoms and how they would affect him specifically at uni.*

It sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but most unis will now not make adjustments for medical conditions unless a student has been granted DSA. *For example, I have a dislocated right thumb and can't handwrite for any length of time. It sounds minor, but with DSA my uni permitted me to take exams using a controlled word procesdor so that I could type and didn't need to write. Your son could have things like a facility to call on coursework deadline extensions during a flare-up, taking exams in a *smaller room where frequent toilet breaks won't disrupt others etc.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.