The Student Room Group

Help! What's best for becoming a teacher? Psychology or Social Science?

I am a mature student who has went back into further education. I used to have quite a successful career in the police but it just wasn't for me 😢 So I would love to explore teaching at secondary school level.

I have been offered an unconditional place at Dundee University studying Psychology and also given an unconditional for Abertay Dundee to study Social Science.

For the last few days I have been so unsure on what to chose and I think I am becoming blind to the facts due to over analysing!

Is there anyone who has studied either of these and successfully went into teaching? Obviously I have to do the postgrad in education once my degree is finished but I want to make sure I am on the correct path due to being my last chance really to get this right!

Any help or advice welcome 😀
which interests you the most :tongue:
Reply 2
Both! I love psychology and equally like criminology which is in the social science option.

I am just thinking further ahead really and wondered what degree would most likely get me a position teaching at a secondary school 😜
The issue is that neither are really taught much in secondary school. I'm not saying you can't become a teacher with one of those degrees, but you may find it more difficult. I suggest checking out the Education and Teaching forum (careers section) as they may be able to help you better :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply 😀 I have looked briefly into it and it would be possible to become a modern studies teacher with these subjects.

I have spoken to many people over the weekend for their advice and most have said I should take the Dundee Uni offer which I think I am going to do.

Thanks all!

Quick Reply

Latest