Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a mature student who has went back into further education. I used to have quite a successful career in the police but it just wasn't for me 😢 So I would love to explore teaching at secondary school level.

I have been offered an unconditional place at Dundee University studying Psychology and also given an unconditional for Abertay Dundee to study Social Science.

For the last few days I have been so unsure on what to chose and I think I am becoming blind to the facts due to over analysing!

Is there anyone who has studied either of these and successfully went into teaching? Obviously I have to do the postgrad in education once my degree is finished but I want to make sure I am on the correct path due to being my last chance really to get this right!

Any help or advice welcome 😀

ReputationRep:
    which interests you the most

ReputationRep:
    Both! I love psychology and equally like criminology which is in the social science option.

I am just thinking further ahead really and wondered what degree would most likely get me a position teaching at a secondary school 😜
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    The issue is that neither are really taught much in secondary school. I'm not saying you can't become a teacher with one of those degrees, but you may find it more difficult. I suggest checking out the Education and Teaching forum (careers section) as they may be able to help you better

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply 😀 I have looked briefly into it and it would be possible to become a modern studies teacher with these subjects.

I have spoken to many people over the weekend for their advice and most have said I should take the Dundee Uni offer which I think I am going to do.

Thanks all!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.