ReputationRep:
    Hey,

For the last 2 years I've been studying 1st year Architecture up in Glasgow. The first year round I lost a lot of confidence after my first class critique (seeing other people's work and how they talked about it- plus the tutors comments) and after falling behind on work and sloping tutorials to catch up ended up not handing in on time and having to submit in the resits. I failed but thought with hindsight I'd fair better the second time around. Unfortunately that was not the case and starting with my new class living in halls and me being in a flat with classmates from my previous year managed to do the exactly the same but worse as the previous year and spend hardly any time in studio. I have got till the 1st of August to make a complete portfolio and hand in to try to pass though that's a pretty huge task (with no advice from tutors this time either). I'm really starting to dread another 6 years of similar experiences so I can call myself an architect, that being said I can't imagine another career I could do and designing social housing ect is still a big passion and I'm terrified of locking myself out that future. I have a few good friends up in Scotland but am shy and don't really feel I belong with the others in my classes (both years) so am at a loss. I feel a bit better after typing this all down and would really appreciate any advice given,

Cheers,
    Alex

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Just wanted to say thanks for joining The Student Room: welcome on board!

How's it going so far? Found what you need? Below I've listed a few things you might fancy trying on TSR. If you've got any questions, add them to the TSR news, help and feedback forum.

Put your work head on:
    No matter what level or subject you're studying, you'll find someone on TSR who can help. Find your subject in the Study Help forum and ask a question or visit our brilliant revision section for help and advice. And if you're planning on going to university, you have to visit our uni applications forum. It's full of people who can help you through the whole process.

Take it easy:
    You know there's more to TSR than studying, right? In Hobbies and Interests you'll find people talking about everything from the latest football scores through to what mobile phone to buy next. Or how about the Debate and Current Affairs forum? Latest news, politics, education...it's all fair game in here.

That's just a taster, of course. To find even more conversation, head to the Forums page and find a place to start up your own discussion.

Enjoy the site!

Cheers,
    Ollie, from the TSR community team
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Alex Cossey)
    Hey,

For the last 2 years I've been studying 1st year Architecture up in Glasgow. The first year round I lost a lot of confidence after my first class critique (seeing other people's work and how they talked about it- plus the tutors comments) and after falling behind on work and sloping tutorials to catch up ended up not handing in on time and having to submit in the resits. I failed but thought with hindsight I'd fair better the second time around. Unfortunately that was not the case and starting with my new class living in halls and me being in a flat with classmates from my previous year managed to do the exactly the same but worse as the previous year and spend hardly any time in studio. I have got till the 1st of August to make a complete portfolio and hand in to try to pass though that's a pretty huge task (with no advice from tutors this time either). I'm really starting to dread another 6 years of similar experiences so I can call myself an architect, that being said I can't imagine another career I could do and designing social housing ect is still a big passion and I'm terrified of locking myself out that future. I have a few good friends up in Scotland but am shy and don't really feel I belong with the others in my classes (both years) so am at a loss. I feel a bit better after typing this all down and would really appreciate any advice given,

Cheers,
    Alex
    Hey there,

My cousin experienced that last year and I know that being a student is difficult as you have to worry so much about accommodation, money, work and studies and as a whole it's just a headache. There are a lot of time you'll have less social life due to work load and that's normal but to be honest we all need a break from it.

My advice for you is to take it easy in terms of handling work load and organising your time well. Stay positive and look for solutions rather than dreading about the problem. Yes, it is very stressful and I know it's easy to say than done.

What my cousin did was she continued her course in a different university and so far she enjoys it more as the structure of lectures and work load are better for her and more manageable as she say.

I hope this helps you in some way and by the way, I'm a student from Ravensbourne. Have you heard of Ravensbourne?
    We are in London and next to the O2 arena.
    Check our BA Architecture course! 3 years duration and the requirements you need is all in the website! Also other Ravensbourne courses you might be interested in! To see it for yourself come and visit us so you can talk and meet current students and tutors Register here for the Open day! Hope this helps and I wish you luck.Ahlia

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.