Turn on thread page Beta

What will happen to our EU freedom of movement in the UK? Worried watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think might happen now the UK has voted to leave the EU? Do you think they will agree to stay in the EEA? Or not? Will they make a system like Australia's where you must get a job offer etc.?

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts or knowledge to share, please enlighten me.

I wanted to leave the UK in the future and become citizen in another EU country, but I am afraid I won't be able to now, if it will become much harder for a normal person. I had a plan before but now I have no idea how things will be.

I don't want this to be a debate about the Brexit results, I just want to discuss what might happen so that maybe I can get an idea of how to plan for whatever result.

ReputationRep:
    I realise I worded the title badly, sorry about that

ReputationRep:
    Well, we can stay in the EEA and have free movement, but we will have our law making powers back for good. Clearly this is a far more sane option than remain, unfortunately also, remainers are seemingly totally unaware of Norwegian or Swiss models, or indeed their prosperity. So much for leave being lied to and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Well, we can stay in the EEA and have free movement, but we will have our law making powers back for good. Clearly this is a far more sane option than remain, unfortunately also, remainers are seemingly totally unaware of Norwegian or Swiss models, or indeed their prosperity. So much for leave being lied to and stupid.
    What does the prosperity of Norway have to do with the EEA or EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    What does the prosperity of Norway have to do with the EEA or EU?
    You are being selective as you took out the other. They can have more say over their laws and economy, and less stifling bureaucracy, and don't have to waste money to the EU either their staff or subsidizing poorer countries.

ReputationRep:
    Joining the EFTA and then the EEU would allow us to retain the free movement of labour. Don't know why any Brexiters want this option though: the UK will still incorporate EU law like Norway and Switzerland.
    Bonus: if the EU parliament is to be believed, we may also be slapped with having to sign the Schengen Agreement (like Norway and Switzerland) in return for access to the single market.

If we 'go it alone' things get more complicated. Taking a look at the application for residence in Germany (https://goo.gl/sIw44K) a temporary permit requires a specific reason e.g. research and employment so you'll more than likely have to have a job lined up. For a permanent permit you'd have to apply for a temporary permit for 5(+) years, learn German, have had a German job and have paid into the German social system for 5 years. Becoming a German citizen will also require marriage, not something you can guarantee.

This all depends on what agreement the UK and EU can come to post Article 50 enactment. The UK will want to protect its expats in Spain and so will push for some leniency with regards to residency. Planning will be difficult for the next two years.

ReputationRep:
    They are still subject to EU Laws and regulations which govern the free movement and the free market.

So it is exactly the same as before except the UK has no vote.

The question is why do you keep on repeating the same lies?

ReputationRep:
    You are being selective as you took out the other. They can have more say over their laws and economy, and less stifling bureaucracy, and don't have to waste money to the EU either their staff or subsidizing poorer countries.
    Norway still pays the EU.

In fact, we would almost the same amount that we pay today.

So.....more lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrue)
    Joining the EFTA and then the EEU would allow us to retain the free movement of labour. Don't know why any Brexiters want this option though: the UK will still incorporate EU law like Norway and Switzerland. .
    Because they don't like immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Rise up and protest get a second referendum

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, the answer to the first question is that no one knows.

It really depends on who the next Prime Minister is.

My guess is that the next Conservative Prime mister will have something similar to the Norwegians and etc because they will want to be in the single market.

ReputationRep:
    Actually we were well aware of these options but didn't think them worth the hassle of leaving for due to the reasons mentioned above.

Norway essentially trade a vote for no CFP and Switzerland have a relationship via a very complicated set of treaties that couldn't realistically be emulated in 2 years.

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/is-the-swiss-mo...exit-solution/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippohops)
    What do you think might happen now the UK has voted to leave the EU? Do you think they will agree to stay in the EEA? Or not? Will they make a system like Australia's where you must get a job offer etc.?

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts or knowledge to share, please enlighten me.

I wanted to leave the UK in the future and become citizen in another EU country, but I am afraid I won't be able to now, if it will become much harder for a normal person. I had a plan before but now I have no idea how things will be.

I don't want this to be a debate about the Brexit results, I just want to discuss what might happen so that maybe I can get an idea of how to plan for whatever result.
    I wouldn't get too worried about it.

No PM in their right mind will take us out of the single market. Leaving the EU in itself isn't a disaster for the economy but this certainly would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I wouldn't get too worried about it.

No PM in their right mind will take us out of the single market. Leaving the EU in itself isn't a disaster for the economy but this certainly would be.
    I hope they won't take us out of it, but worried they will be pressured into leaving because many leave voters don't want to remain in the EEA by the sounds of it. I also heard some people say the EU may not want to give Britain the best deal in the situation in case it encourages other countries to leave as well. What do you think? Not that I know what the best deal would be though, I find the whole situation very confusing.

There's a petition about keeping the UK in the EEA here, but it hasn't got many signatures so far: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-uk-in-the-eea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippohops)
    I hope they won't take us out of it, but worried they will be pressured into leaving because many leave voters don't want to remain in the EEA by the sounds of it. I also heard some people say the EU may not want to give Britain the best deal in the situation in case it encourages other countries to leave as well. What do you think? Not that I know what the best deal would be though, I find the whole situation very confusing.

There's a petition about keeping the UK in the EEA here, but it hasn't got many signatures so far: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-uk-in-the-eea
    We're getting a Remainer as PM now that Andrea Leadsom has dropped out so it's a cause for optimism at least.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, it will go. There is enough competition for working class jobs as it is without EU migrants coming in and competing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Hopefully, it will go. There is enough competition for working class jobs as it is without EU migrants coming in and competing too.
    Lol. Yeh, it's the EU migrants fault that the working class can't get a job.

It is completely understandable because all they have to do is find somewhere to live and speak a different language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Lol. Yeh, it's the EU migrants fault that the working class can't get a job.

It is completely understandable because all they have to do is find somewhere to live and speak a different language.
    Well, yes it is. In other countries English is taught very well even to lower ability students, and even then a lot of them cannot speak proper english. I am not saying that these people aren't honest and hardworking people. However, them being in the country definitely contributes to a good chunk of the jobs disappearing for the working class, as well as social housing for some too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Well, yes it is. In other countries English is taught very well even to lower ability students, and even then a lot of them cannot speak proper english. I am not saying that these people aren't honest and hardworking people. However, them being in the country definitely contributes to a good chunk of the jobs disappearing for the working class, as well as social housing for some too.
    So like I said before,

You have EU migrants who "cannot speak proper english" and have no where to live intially who are able to get a job in KFC ahead of UK citizens. Whose fault is that?

Where did you find this myth that there are a lack of jobs for the working class? AS far as I can see we have record low unemployment since 08.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    So like I said before,

You have EU migrants who "cannot speak proper english" and have no where to live intially who are able to get a job in KFC ahead of UK citizens. Whose fault is that?

Where did you find this myth that there are a lack of jobs for the working class? AS far as I can see we have record low unemployment since 08.
    As I said, they are often better employees who work harder, but you cannot deny that the grasp of English a lot of them have isn't brilliant. However, their money often leaves the country (thus not feeding back into our economy), and the British people are already here.

Look around Dorian, is that unemployment taking into account permanent unemployment? as a lot of people simply dropped out of the workforce due to the 2008 crash. Honestly, I would like to see your citations for this, I will concede I am incorrect if I am. Anecdotally, my own mother is struggling to find a job at that level in a high immigrant area, and It isn't because she is "becky with 1 gcse" or whatever.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.