Turn on thread page Beta

I have £5 left to last me a week - what's the most cost effective way to get food? watch

So I messed up and lent money to someone who couldn't pay me back. I now have £2 in my savings and £3 cash to last me until Friday (when I will apparently get my money back). I don't have much food in the house as I meant to do a food shop before this happened - I have some basics like pasta, rice, lots of dried cupboard stuff but no fresh ingredients. I was thinking maybe some cheap lidl chicken or some mince? I realistically need to make 14 meals out of £5 :/*

ReputationRep:
    Baked beans and toast

ReputationRep:
    insta noodles for breakfast,lunch and dinner

ReputationRep:
    pasta sauce, pasta, cheese

With all due respect I'd like to stay relatively healthy at the same time. Maybe noodles for a couple of meals may have to suffice haha*

ReputationRep:
    go to Aldi and croissants(big pack) for breakfast, noodles for lunch and dinner.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ, we live in the 21st century and I'm reading about a guy starving. Something is clearly wrong from all ends.

ReputationRep:
    Soup? You can buy loose potatoes and carrots for exactly the same price per Kg as large packs in Tesco. If you have lentils in your cupboard, even better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I messed up and lent money to someone who couldn't pay me back. I now have £2 in my savings and £3 cash to last me until Friday (when I will apparently get my money back). I don't have much food in the house as I meant to do a food shop before this happened - I have some basics like pasta, rice, lots of dried cupboard stuff but no fresh ingredients. I was thinking maybe some cheap lidl chicken or some mince? I realistically need to make 14 meals out of £5 :/*
    Don't bother with meat, it's not cost effective enough for £5. Quorn is cheap if you can stomach it but it might be better to buy tinned tomatoes and lentils and just eat carby vegetarian meals for the week

No don't buy meat, that's the worst way to spend your money! I suggest looking up simple recipes on YT and making a meal plan for the whole week, utilising all the ingredients you have. It'll be tricky but definitely doable. If I were you I'd spend £2/3 on potatoes/rice (both very filling and cheap) and then rest for canned tomatoes (I think you can get like 4 cans for £1 at Asda) and bread.

ReputationRep:
    a good idea would be to shop somewhere cheap. Buy the cheap brands so you can buy more things. Maybe borrow some money of a friend or family?

ReputationRep:
    99p = 5 packs of 3 minute noodles
    easy
    £2 = 12 pack of a certain type of pancakes that i can’t remember
    also £3 for 2 ^

ReputationRep:
    Dumpster dive, scrape up some fresh roadkill, get sorrel, blackberries and nettles from hedgerows. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Ok the key here will be soups. Go to local butchers ask if he can give you any bones or any free/extremely cheap off-cuts. if yes take as many as you can and look up a good soup and make it with bones. water and any stuff like soy you have in your cupboards. put some pasta in it to bulk it up and make a large batch if you can. You have good filling cheap food.
    But soup all the time is not good. Try make some pasta dishes even if it is just pasta and butter.

rice is good eat rice and you can have it with soup. buying bags of oats is also cheap if you like oats.

(Original post by fg45344)
    Jesus Christ, we live in the 21st century and I'm reading about a guy starving. Something is clearly wrong from all ends.
    I'm a girl and I'm not starving, if it got really bad I could ask my parents for money. It's just they would ask where all my money went and would get suspicious about me lending it.*
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Porridge.
    Soup.
    Hardship grant from SU.
    OD
    sell something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl and I'm not starving, if it got really bad I could ask my parents for money. It's just they would ask where all my money went and would get suspicious about me lending it.*
    I do apologise....maybe think of it as a diet, what else can I say lol.

I hope you are lending the money with interest! There is the time value of money you know!

I would probably take the money to the bookies and see if I can double it for a proper meal.

ReputationRep:
    For instance you could try Sainsburys or tesco on an evening for reduced food? Sometimes get some nice cheap cheese
    Or a £2 chicken with longest use by date you can get.
    Not keen on mince as the cheap stuff is higher in fat so it just boils away.
    2breasts, wings, thighs, legs and boil the carcass with veg for soup makes about 4 meals. (Hope you have a decent sharp knife)
    Potatos, carrots, loaf of cheap bread or two (£1)
    Cheap jam for sarnies 40p
    economy sausages 80p
    Beans and a pack of cheap biscuits for dunking 80p

So no it doesn't sound a lot for £5, but it will make multiple meals over the week, and although you'll be sick of the same stuff by the end of the week you should make it to Friday.

However you haven't said if you drink tea or milk as for me milk would be top of my list!!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is against internet rules or whatever, but if you're in London I wouldn't mind lending a tenner or so? This probably sounds creepy but hey, oh well

(Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs)
    Not sure if this is against internet rules or whatever, but if you're in London I wouldn't mind lending a tenner or so? This probably sounds creepy but hey, oh well
    aw thanks but unfortunately I'm a long way from London!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.