Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    First I don’t really know what section to put this in, as it’sgot a few issues in it. So if moderators want to move it that’s fine.
    I’ve now got mental health problems. I won’t go into lots ofdetail but it’s bad. My uni is doing a meeting called ‘Fitness to Participate inUniversity Life’ I don’t know exactly when yet because its not been arrangedbut I know it will be before September and they will basically decide if I amwell enough to continue or not.
    Given that I am on the wrong type of medication for what’swrong, I’ve been in A&E quite regularly and only not doing now because mymum won’t take me so yes I’m stuck with no support for 2 months-so basically I won’t suddenly be well enough to continue.
    I honestly think they will say I can’t continue. Even though I passed year 1
    (my last 2 assessments were handed in in the middle ofseeing the Crisis team and being in an ambulance to A&E-if that’s notability to carry on no matter what I don’t know what is!) I also think thathaving routine and structure again would help me whereas all the empty time Ihave now doesn’t.

Anyway, I have asked what the options are, and now gotthe answer. What I want to do is go part time-down to 3 units a year not 6, andso do my second year of my course over 2 years, and hopefully convince them atthis meeting I will be able to do that. But, I have now found out that I won’tget my current Maintenance loan and grant if I go to part time-so I won’t haveany money to live in halls etc..
    Do I have any other options to get money? I don’t reallyunderstand why you can’t get student finance, I will still be a student, andthey said my DSA can continue as it is now, so why not everything? Any information please?

There is some issues posting this, I don't know what is happening but if there is random spaces and words split up etc then it's because of this site not me

ReputationRep:
    So to start if they say you can't continue it will not be because they don't think you're capable it will be because they are prioritising your health over your studies, in fact your anecdote of why you're capable is exactly the kind of stuff they could use for their argument of you taking a year of absence.

Your maintenance cannot continue as the expectation is that someone studying part time would be working as well, and thus able to fund their living costs themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    So to start if they say you can't continue it will not be because they don't think you're capable it will be because they are prioritising your health over your studies, in fact your anecdote of why you're capable is exactly the kind of stuff they could use for their argument of you taking a year of absence.

Your maintenance cannot continue as the expectation is that someone studying part time would be working as well, and thus able to fund their living costs themselves.
    That makes no sense though! About 2 months before I finished I was struggling and asking if I can like skip some units/assessments to focus on others and then do the other units at some other time. They kept saying I have ages and so no just keep going-It takes me 3-4 weeks to do one assessment, the last 2 I had to do both in a week. Luckily they were really similar to others and so yes I copied and pasted (my own work though!) different modules so different teachers and somhow they passed.
    I can't work out how what I said means I am not able to study-I did the work even with everything that was going on happening, and I also can't work out how having a whole year off is going to help me achive anything. I need to not be living with my mum to have any chance of getting better.. but right now that's where I am, I said I would get worse but still got ignored and still am being despite what has happened this week.
    But anyway-I need a job? The only reason I'm even at uni is because I couldn't get a job when I left college!! How am I supposed to get one now? There should be some kind of fund for people who need to study part time for health or disability reasons to be able to do so.. But the working does make sense so thank's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipka)
    That makes no sense though! About 2 months before I finished I was struggling and asking if I can like skip some units/assessments to focus on others and then do the other units at some other time. They kept saying I have ages and so no just keep going-It takes me 3-4 weeks to do one assessment, the last 2 I had to do both in a week. Luckily they were really similar to others and so yes I copied and pasted (my own work though!) different modules so different teachers and somhow they passed.
    I can't work out how what I said means I am not able to study-I did the work even with everything that was going on happening, and I also can't work out how having a whole year off is going to help me achive anything. I need to not be living with my mum to have any chance of getting better.. but right now that's where I am, I said I would get worse but still got ignored and still am being despite what has happened this week.
    But anyway-I need a job? The only reason I'm even at uni is because I couldn't get a job when I left college!! How am I supposed to get one now? There should be some kind of fund for people who need to study part time for health or disability reasons to be able to do so.. But the working does make sense so thank's.
    Read what I'm saying and think about what you've been saying.

I wasn't saying you were unable to study, I was saying from the university's point of view they probably feel it would be better for your well-being to not be studying. Although you've also just said you're incapable of studying at the rate and standard expected by your university so you're arguing against yourself!

The whole year off is so that you don't have the worries of studying and so you won't prioritise studying over your health, etc, etc.

That kind of fund doesn't exist because it's a very small niche: people who can't study full time but don't want to take time off and are at universities that offer a part time version of their course.

Degree or no degree you will still need to find work or make some for yourself which fits around your health problems. That would likely be easier in a year off where you can focus on getting better and, when you can manage it, learn a new skill which you can use to make money. Maybe something like web design? Anything you can do in your own timeframe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Read what I'm saying and think about what you've been saying.

I wasn't saying you were unable to study, I was saying from the university's point of view they probably feel it would be better for your well-being to not be studying. Although you've also just said you're incapable of studying at the rate and standard expected by your university so you're arguing against yourself!

The whole year off is so that you don't have the worries of studying and so you won't prioritise studying over your health, etc, etc.

That kind of fund doesn't exist because it's a very small niche: people who can't study full time but don't want to take time off and are at universities that offer a part time version of their course.

Degree or no degree you will still need to find work or make some for yourself which fits around your health problems. That would likely be easier in a year off where you can focus on getting better and, when you can manage it, learn a new skill which you can use to make money. Maybe something like web design? Anything you can do in your own timeframe.
    Hello, I understand what you mean now-thanks, at least generally anyway. But everyone and every situation is different so it still seams silly.
    I have basically accepted I will never work-I'm never going to find an employer who understands and accepts my complex combincation of disability and medical conditions, realises that I do have talent, skill and ability, Want to make the needed ajustments to include me, and actually still pay me after all that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.