The Student Room Group

1st Year Grades HELP

Hi I just got my first year grade and its 59.4 which is a 2.2. Its so disappointing mainly because i want to apply for vac schemes and training contracts and the firms want a minimum 2.1 for this. I sat my criminal and contract exams and got 55 and 56%. I worked so hard and this doesn't reflect my hard work. So should i get it remarked? but if i do get it remarked i run the risk of possibly being graded down too. Or should i just re sit 1 of these exams and achieve 4 percent higher which is what I need to get 60%? HELP ME SOMEONE
Check your University policy on whether you can get remarks a lot of Universities do not allow appeals on matters of academic judgement.

In terms of whether you should re-sit, again check your University policy some only permit re-sits if you have failed or you had serious adverse circumstances which impacted upon your performance in the original exams.

Even if you can re-sit and you manage to bump it up to a 60% that will still be on the lower end of the scale for Vac Schemes your best option is to work hard next year to pull the overall grade up and explain your first year results away as an anomaly.
Original post by MbarakS
Hi I just got my first year grade and its 59.4 which is a 2.2. Its so disappointing mainly because i want to apply for vac schemes and training contracts and the firms want a minimum 2.1 for this. I sat my criminal and contract exams and got 55 and 56%. I worked so hard and this doesn't reflect my hard work. So should i get it remarked? but if i do get it remarked i run the risk of possibly being graded down too. Or should i just re sit 1 of these exams and achieve 4 percent higher which is what I need to get 60%? HELP ME SOMEONE

That must be so disappointing. Will your university allow you to resit? That may not be the best idea, get it remarked if you can, as you have more to gain than you have to lose if it is remarked (I very much doubt that it will fall below a 2:2 if you do). If not, focus on getting other law related work experience that doesn't require a 2:1, such as work in the Citizen's Advice Bureau, legal helplines and a minority of the vacation schemes which accept a 2:2. Then apply for the other vacation schemes and training contracts next year once you bump up your grades. Try the winter schemes, as that way you can get some in the bag before training contract applications open.
Reply 3
I know several people who got vac schemes at high flying law firms (Squire Patton Boggs for example) with 2ii's overall (not just first year).

It is possible. Do plenty of extra curricular stuff, ideally legal, and it will cancel things out (usually). Don't give up!

Quick Reply

Latest