Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I have just received my second year result today.
    My first year average was 70 and my second year average is 65.8.
    Currently doing Bsc Accounting and Finance at University of Bath. 2014-2018 (course that includes placement in year 3)
    I am going to work for EY Audit FS in London for my year 3 (placement) and I will go back to finish my year 4 after placement.
    Although the minimum requirement of lse Msc Accounting and Finance is 2.1. However, is the chance still very slim for me to obtain an offer given my grades (not first class in year 2) and with relevant work experience at a big 4 firm?

THX

ReputationRep:
    If you do well in your year at E&Y, you will like get an offer for their graduate programme.

Bath is highly recognised in the City of London so to repeat the same at LSE wouldn't add anything to your CV except would the LSE name would be more internationally recognisable, so if after 2-3 years of working in London you wanted to work in NYC then it wouldn't hurt to have such a name on your CV, though likely an international move would be within a company, from office to office.

E&Y would likely put you through ACA or CIMA on their graduation programme.

You are most likely to want to broaden your skill-set in a few years time with an MBA, if anything.

Your bachelors is great on it's own, just like getting a LL.B. in Law, or studying PPE, or a B.Eng. Engineering.

Keep focus on your bachelor's it will do you well as Bath is good for getting on graduate programmes like Coca-Cola and L'Oreal etc.

Check out Linkedin for what graduates have gone on to do - Google: 'Bath BSc Accounting and Finance linkedin' - I can see Rolls Royce, Deutsche Bank, Deloitte etc..

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by post-grad-u-ate)
    If you do well in your year at E&Y, you will like get an offer for their graduate programme.

Bath is highly recognised in the City of London so to repeat the same at LSE wouldn't add anything to your CV except would the LSE name would be more internationally recognisable, so if after 2-3 years of working in London you wanted to work in NYC then it wouldn't hurt to have such a name on your CV, though likely an international move would be within a company, from office to office.

E&Y would likely put you through ACA or CIMA on their graduation programme.

You are most likely to want to broaden your skill-set in a few years time with an MBA, if anything.

Your bachelors is great on it's own, just like getting a LL.B. in Law, or studying PPE, or a B.Eng. Engineering.

Keep focus on your bachelor's it will do you well as Bath is good for getting on graduate programmes like Coca-Cola and L'Oreal etc.

Check out Linkedin for what graduates have gone on to do - Google: 'Bath BSc Accounting and Finance linkedin' - I can see Rolls Royce, Deutsche Bank, Deloitte etc..

Good luck
    Thank you for your reply. I know that an undergraduate degree in bath should be good enough. However, I still long for getting into a more prestigious university. Therefore, I still hope to apply to LSE for master. Do you think my package has a chance of getting an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiffanycox)
    Hi everyone. I have just received my second year result today.
    My first year average was 70 and my second year average is 65.8.
    Currently doing Bsc Accounting and Finance at University of Bath. 2014-2018 (course that includes placement in year 3)
    I am going to work for EY Audit FS in London for my year 3 (placement) and I will go back to finish my year 4 after placement.
    Although the minimum requirement of lse Msc Accounting and Finance is 2.1. However, is the chance still very slim for me to obtain an offer given my grades (not first class in year 2) and with relevant work experience at a big 4 firm?

THX
    Your current results meet the entry requirements and the experience you will gain will be respectable.

What is it you wish to do after the MSc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiffanycox)
    Thank you for your reply. I know that an undergraduate degree in bath should be good enough. However, I still long for getting into a more prestigious university. Therefore, I still hope to apply to LSE for master. Do you think my package has a chance of getting an offer?
    You would have exactly the same chances in your career as if you went to Oxford, Cambridge or LSE, being in the top ten of universities is very much a level playing field and what is going to distinguish you is your work experience and your initiative to make the most of your time. Bristol is on your doorstep and there are some great companies there for opportunities.

I don't understand how you 'long' for prestige when Bath has everything you need and not seeing that will hamper your future for not seeing the great opportunity you have been blessed with.

As I said before, you think you will want to broaden your skill-set and want to go for a masters in management immediately or an MBA in a few years time.

Maybe Cambridge Judge Business School will offer you a great opportunity for pre-experience with:

MPhil in Management

Post-experience would be:

Oxford MBA, Cambridge MFin, London Business School MBA and MiF.

Imperial offer some great courses too if you want to look there.

My problem is that these courses are as much as 25k and I really believe the course at Bath will give you everything you need to have a very successful career.

A great opportunity could be the University of Nottingham in Ningbo, China! A year studying in China!

Programmes in: Finance and Investment, International Management.

Go work for JP Morgan or Deutsche Bank in Hong Kong or something.

Again, really ask your parents and lecturers and career centre and they will all say your bachelors is enough!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.