The Student Room Group

Should I change from Physics to Maths?

Hey everyone.
I've got an offer to study Physics at Durham this October. When I applied for the course a year ago, I was 100% sure that I wanted to go into physics research. Now I'm not so sure. At this point I'm thinking of going into financial engineering at the postgrad level, if I can hack it of course. Should I withdraw my application and reapply next year for Mathematics? Or would I be equally competitive for financial engineering with an undergrad in Physics, as long as I take enough Maths modules?
Also, although I've studied Further Maths to A2 I didn't take the exam, as I thought the workload would be too much. So I don't think I can switch courses.
What does TSR suggest?
Reply 1
Also I should mention, I can switch from Physics to a Joint Honours in Maths and Physics, and then switch to a Single Honours programme in year 2 if I want to. Would this be the better option?
I would try the joint degree first and choose after your first year as I sense you are still a little undecided. It would be a shame if after year 1 of maths you decided physics was the right choice after all! Physics and Maths is a very common combo and people often switch between the three frequently.
Reply 3
Original post by TiberianWolf
Hey everyone.
I've got an offer to study Physics at Durham this October. When I applied for the course a year ago, I was 100% sure that I wanted to go into physics research. Now I'm not so sure. At this point I'm thinking of going into financial engineering at the postgrad level, if I can hack it of course. Should I withdraw my application and reapply next year for Mathematics? Or would I be equally competitive for financial engineering with an undergrad in Physics, as long as I take enough Maths modules?
Also, although I've studied Further Maths to A2 I didn't take the exam, as I thought the workload would be too much. So I don't think I can switch courses.
What does TSR suggest?

You can do financial engineering with a physics degree. There are many quants and financial engineers with physics degrees.
Reply 4
Original post by Trapz99
You can do financial engineering with a physics degree. There are many quants and financial engineers with physics degrees.

I know this is sort of a pipe dream, but it's always sort of been a dream of mine to take Maths Part III at Cambridge. If I took theoretical physics would that still be possible?
Original post by TiberianWolf
I know this is sort of a pipe dream, but it's always sort of been a dream of mine to take Maths Part III at Cambridge. If I took theoretical physics would that still be possible?

If you look here, it says that Physics is fine as well as related degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest