Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.
    I've got an offer to study Physics at Durham this October. When I applied for the course a year ago, I was 100% sure that I wanted to go into physics research. Now I'm not so sure. At this point I'm thinking of going into financial engineering at the postgrad level, if I can hack it of course. Should I withdraw my application and reapply next year for Mathematics? Or would I be equally competitive for financial engineering with an undergrad in Physics, as long as I take enough Maths modules?
    Also, although I've studied Further Maths to A2 I didn't take the exam, as I thought the workload would be too much. So I don't think I can switch courses.
    What does TSR suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Also I should mention, I can switch from Physics to a Joint Honours in Maths and Physics, and then switch to a Single Honours programme in year 2 if I want to. Would this be the better option?

ReputationRep:
    I would try the joint degree first and choose after your first year as I sense you are still a little undecided. It would be a shame if after year 1 of maths you decided physics was the right choice after all! Physics and Maths is a very common combo and people often switch between the three frequently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiberianWolf)
    Hey everyone.
    I've got an offer to study Physics at Durham this October. When I applied for the course a year ago, I was 100% sure that I wanted to go into physics research. Now I'm not so sure. At this point I'm thinking of going into financial engineering at the postgrad level, if I can hack it of course. Should I withdraw my application and reapply next year for Mathematics? Or would I be equally competitive for financial engineering with an undergrad in Physics, as long as I take enough Maths modules?
    Also, although I've studied Further Maths to A2 I didn't take the exam, as I thought the workload would be too much. So I don't think I can switch courses.
    What does TSR suggest?
    You can do financial engineering with a physics degree. There are many quants and financial engineers with physics degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    You can do financial engineering with a physics degree. There are many quants and financial engineers with physics degrees.
    I know this is sort of a pipe dream, but it's always sort of been a dream of mine to take Maths Part III at Cambridge. If I took theoretical physics would that still be possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiberianWolf)
    I know this is sort of a pipe dream, but it's always sort of been a dream of mine to take Maths Part III at Cambridge. If I took theoretical physics would that still be possible?
    If you look here, it says that Physics is fine as well as related degrees.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.