Turn on thread page Beta

Yoga and Meditation can prevent deadly diseases watch

ReputationRep:
    Yoga has been saying this for years. Meditation and Yoga has the potential to deadly diseases at least in their primitive stage.

http://www.sciencealert.com/world-fi...urvivors-cells
    [Peer reviewed]

Summary:
    Meditation can prevent the shortening of telomeres. As the telomeres get shorter and shorter the cell ages and eventually dies and this is a common association with diseases like cancer.

According to a research done by University of utah:

Geneticist Richard Cawthon and colleagues at the University of Utah found shorter telomeres are associated with shorter lives. Among people older than 60, those with shorter telomeres were three times more likely to die from heart disease and eight times more likely to die from infectious disease.

PS. Dont delete this thread (like last time!!), this isnt an advice to anyone, just information.

ReputationRep:
    Article is from 2014 lol

ReputationRep:
    so?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing conclusive from that study.

Conclusion: Positive thinking and yoga don't cure cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Nothing conclusive from that study.

Conclusion: Positive thinking and yoga don't cure cancer.
    My main point wasnt just about cancer. The main point was that it prevents the shortening of telomeres which can eventually cause cell death. And regarding cancer

In one experiment, researchers blocked telomerase activity (shortening of telomeres) in human breast and prostate cancer cells growing in the laboratory, prompting the tumor cells to die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steamof)
    My main point wasnt just about cancer. The main point was that it prevents the shortening of telomeres which can eventually cause cell death. And regarding cancer

In one experiment, researchers blocked telomerase activity (shortening of telomeres) in human breast and prostate cancer cells growing in the laboratory, prompting the tumor cells to die
    To quote you, can you provide a link to a meta-analysis based study to support your claims?

ReputationRep:
    To quote you, can you provide a link to a meta-analysis based study to support your claims?
    Is it that hard to derive the conclusion from the evidence or are you rejecting the evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Is it that hard to derive the conclusion from the evidence or are you rejecting the evidence.
    In a previous thread you asked me specifically for a source from a study that used meta-analysis. I duly provided you with such a link. I infer from this that you value this aspect to research?

So am I being unreasonable to expect you to do the same?

ReputationRep:
    In a previous thread you asked me specifically for a source from a study that used meta-analysis. I duly provided you with such a link. I infer from this that you value this aspect to research?

So am I being unreasonable to expect you to do the same?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elaine...b_8059210.html

Even though I never asked you for a meta analysis nor have I ever used that word on here

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elaine...b_8059210.html

Even though I never asked you for a meta analysis nor have I ever used that word on here
    That isn't a meta-analysis.

ReputationRep:
    Yoga has been saying this for years. Meditation and Yoga has the potential to deadly diseases at least in their primitive stage.

http://www.sciencealert.com/world-fi...urvivors-cells
    [Peer reviewed]

Summary:
    Meditation can prevent the shortening of telomeres. As the telomeres get shorter and shorter the cell ages and eventually dies and this is a common association with diseases like cancer.

PS. Dont delete this thread (like last time!!), this isnt an advice to anyone, just information.
    From the article:

Scientists still don’t know for sure whether telomeres are involved in regulating disease, but there is early evidence that suggests shortened telomeres are associated with the likelihood of surviving several diseases, including breast cancer, as well as cellular ageing. And longer telomeres are generally thought to help protect us from disease.

ReputationRep:
    That isn't a meta-analysis.
    What do you want then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    From the article:

Scientists still don’t know for sure whether telomeres are involved in regulating disease, but there is early evidence that suggests shortened telomeres are associated with the likelihood of surviving several diseases, including breast cancer, as well as cellular ageing. And longer telomeres are generally thought to help protect us from disease.
    Thanks man. Did you read the other article too?

ReputationRep:
    Then shortening of telomeres should prevent cancer. Your claims seem to counteract each other.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man. Did you read the other article too?
    I mean, I'm confused because the article states meditation can stop telomeres from shortening, but then says shortened telomeres can prevent diseases including breat cancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReader)
    Then shortening of telomeres should prevent cancer. Your claims seem to counteract each other.
    What do you mean? Thats what I said didnt i?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? Thats what I said didnt i?
    you said that shortened telomeres are associated with cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReader)
    you said that shortened telomeres are associated with cancer.
    Oh I read your post wrong. Shortened telomeres are associated with cancer as I said initially

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I mean, I'm confused because the article states meditation can stop telomeres from shortening, but then says shortened telomeres can prevent diseases including breat cancer
    Hmm. Where does it say that?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I read your post wrong. Shortened telomeres are associated with cancer as I said initially
    so basically cancer cells have shorterned telomeres and telomerase to prevent them from getting any shorter. Okay.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.