Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smoking marijuana whilst depressed? Watch

I'm heading to Amsterdam from 13th-20th July with friends and planning to smoke in a coffeeshop (only once, mind). I have smoked a few times before - not that the doctor knows - but this was 2/3 years ago. I'm currently 18, 19 next month.
    My doctor warned me to not smoke anything as there's a huge risk in becoming schizophrenic (as i suffer with [clinical] depression & anxiety) - however my last dose of medication (vensir xl 75mg, if it makes a difference) will be taken the day i leave + i'll not be continuing with it {thus i'll be on no meds}.
    I've suffered from sciatica - basically acute lower back pain - the past 2+ years and heard from family friends & online that weed has alleviated the pain in the short term & allowed for a great night of sleep.

Has anyone here had experience with marijuana & poor mental health or can shed some light/opinions? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't just because for me personally my experience is entirely dependent on my mood. I've smoked before when I was already anxious about something and pretty much spent the entire time focusing on the things I was anxious about. Then again that was haze. If you decide to smoke cheese you might be ok since all it really does is chill you out. But just be aware that if you're feeling *****y, then the weed might amplify it.

As someone diagnosed with schizophrenia, I'm gonna say bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm heading to Amsterdam from 13th-20th July with friends and planning to smoke in a coffeeshop (only once, mind). I have smoked a few times before - not that the doctor knows - but this was 2/3 years ago. I'm currently 18, 19 next month.

My doctor warned me to not smoke anything as there's a huge risk in becoming schizophrenic (as i suffer with [clinical] depression & anxiety) - however my last dose of medication (vensir xl 75mg, if it makes a difference) will be taken the day i leave + i'll not be continuing with it {thus i'll be on no meds}.
    I've suffered from sciatica - basically acute lower back pain - the past 2+ years and heard from family friends & online that weed has alleviated the pain in the short term & allowed for a great night of sleep.

Has anyone here had experience with marijuana & poor mental health or can shed some light/opinions? Thanks.
    Was this not enough for you? Don't do it for gods sake.

ReputationRep:
    The risk is there, however one or two spliffs isn't going to cause schizophrenia. Prolonged smoking can cause these issues, a week away will not.

I'm 20 but when I was roughly your age I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. When I was 15 or so, I used to be a fairly frequent smoker of cannabis, a spliff and / or pipe every day pretty much and I think that's what caused my anxiety disorder to develop faster than it otherwise would have, but I would not say it was the sole reason it developed. My Dad has fairly severe OCD and worries a lot about silly things, although he hasn't been diagnosed with anything - I believe something may have been passed down regardless of the cannabis.

Because I don't suffer from depression I can't comment for what it may do to you, a good high could make you feel on top of the world and forget a lot of your problems. A bad high could make you feel a million times worse. If that is something you're willing to risk then it's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, for the physical pain you probably will feel a bit or even totally better. But with depression and anxiety, it's very possible you'll have a bad high where you're worrying about things constantly. If you're not 100% sure, my advice is don't. And the mental effects imo are worse then physical pain.

(Original post by hezzlington)
    Was this not enough for you? Don't do it for gods sake.
    Same doctor who perscribed me co-codamol for several months (and led to a small/short addiction - which i quickly recognised. I had to beg him to not give them to me anymore, to his dismay). Same doctor who has asked me to strip, when there has been no need. Same doctor who was unhappy to take me off a high dosage of fluxoetine, which had led to suicidal attempts. Same doctor that I don't have much trust in.

I simply asked as i've seen conflicting statements online about smoking while suffering MH issues & hard to know which to trust, i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Same doctor who perscribed me co-codamol for several months (and led to a small/short addiction - which i quickly recognised. I had to beg him to not give them to me anymore, to his dismay). Same doctor who has asked me to strip, when there has been no need. Same doctor who was unhappy to take me off a high dosage of fluxoetine, which had led to suicidal attempts. Same doctor that I don't have much trust in.

I simply asked as i've seen conflicting statements online about smoking while suffering MH issues & hard to know which to trust, i guess.
    Why have you stayed with the same doctor?
    Nobody here can recommend for you to smoke weed. If they do, their comment will be deleted/and or this thread will be taken down.

(Original post by hezzlington)
    Why have you stayed with the same doctor?
    Nobody here can recommend for you to smoke weed. If they do, their comment will be deleted/and or this thread will be taken down.
    Believe me, i would if i could. I live in a rural part of NI with no private transport and very little public transport available to me. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks all for your replies. Slightly conflicting responses. The gain for my physical pain by smoking could be great but the potential effect on my mental state could end up terrible. I may stick to zargabaaths advice that while not completely sure, i'll not do it.
    Being in this state is conflicting as it could help me or worsen me, but at the same time i have little care for myself. Meh. Thanks again everyone though.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard conflicting things too. UK citizens point out the negatives and have sites like Talk to Frank, and US citizens always spout the good things.

I would recommend against it to be safe, just try to find some other way to have fun? But at the same time I am extremely anti-drug so I could be biased.

ReputationRep:
    Its hit and miss it might not interact at all on the other hand i've seen people have some rather unplesant reactions, personally not something id be willing to risk in a foreign city.

ReputationRep:
    I have some experience in this area.

If you're going to smoke, you want a specific type of cannabis. Ask in the coffee shop for cannabis that is low THC and high CBD and preferably tested and labelled with specific contents.

High THC strains cause anxiety/paranoia and freakouts. High CBD strains have no such effects and are very relaxing and therapeutic.

A good balance would be <4% THC and >7.5% CBD.

Some strains are as high as 20% CBD which would suit you, should you decide to smoke.

If you don't get tested weed and know what's in it, do not smoke it because it's Russian roulette.

As for doctors advice, medication etc. I cannot comment. That's something you need to work out for yourself.

Good luck.

(Original post by StarLion)
    I have some experience in this area.

If you're going to smoke, you want a specific type of cannabis. Ask in the coffee shop for cannabis that is low THC and high CBD and preferably tested and labelled with specific contents.

High THC strains cause anxiety/paranoia and freakouts. High CBD strains have no such effects and are very relaxing and therapeutic.

A good balance would be <4% THC and >7.5% CBD.

Some strains are as high as 20% CBD which would suit you, should you decide to smoke.

If you don't get tested weed and know what's in it, do not smoke it because it's Russian roulette.

As for doctors advice, medication etc. I cannot comment. That's something you need to work out for yourself.

Good luck.
    Great information here. Thank you v much!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.