Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The NUS seems to only represent students who are on the left of the political spectrum and vote labour or the Green Party. Why do they not except that there are a fair number of students who support UKIP, the conservative and unionist party, the liberal democrats or who are just right wing.

For instance they ran a article about students barricaded themselves in a Barclays branch because they use fossil fuels. I'm sorry but at the end of the day this is a stopping people from working and earning a living.

Also they backed staying in the EU despite 47% of people according to their own research below the age of 35 backed leave are they not alienating and shoving to one side a good third to a half of students?

Should the NUS be politically neutral and I've fair views and opinions on topics rather than just being young labour in disguise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Should the NUS be politically neutral and I've fair views and opinions on topics rather than just being young labour in disguise.
    I have never really know what the NUS actually do, other than ensure students get discounts. They failed wholeheartedly at preventing the slow erosion of educational standards and backward financing of higher education. They are a bit pointless. I therefore wouldn't worry about their representations. They don't seem to represent anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities have various societies or associations with political parties, or if you're that interested in politics why not join a branch of whichever political party you support while at uni. If enough people are interested you could set up your own group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Some universities have various societies or associations with political parties, or if you're that interested in politics why not join a branch of whichever political party you support while at uni. If enough people are interested you could set up your own group.
    I get that but my point is. They promote people like Jeremy Corbyn saying they are great and then distinguishingly mock David Cameron and George osbourne which is not really there role.

I understand that they may see there views as bad and Jeremy as good but clearly student are more split on this area than ever.

And in the 2015 election they ran a liar liar campaign and actively told students not to vote liberal democrats.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.