Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to gain weight, but poor appetite. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I lost a lot of weight around a year ago and have gradually put it back on. I was always fairly slim but I would like to put on a bit more so I can bulk up at the gym.

I'm 5'11 at around 145lbs, which according to BMI is healthy. The problem is, I don't eat a lot.

Usual diet is two slices of toast (with jam) in the morning, sandwiches + crisps + chocolate bar for lunch (sometimes slices of ham and cheese), and dinner varies from chips, steak, chicken, pork, pasta, rice, greens etc. I generally snack on an apple and banana per day, milk and cashew nuts.

Any advice? I find it hard to follow a particular diet routine with my appetite being the way it is. I can barely eat the aforementioned.

ReputationRep:
    Hm how about eating more calorie dense foods like nuts/seeds, avocados, dates, nut/seed butters e.t.c? So you'll be getting lots of calories with a small volume of food?

ReputationRep:
    More protein. If you can, eat some kind of meat for lunch as well as dinner, maybe have some eggs for breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    100g of many nuts contains anywhere between 500-700 calories. Really not hard to eat a few handfuls a day.

ReputationRep:
    Macdonalds..,,..late at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Protein. And consume more calories.

Are you the type of person who eats to live not lives to eat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Protein. And consume more calories.

Are you the type of person who eats to live not lives to eat?
    Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is not just weight but also the fact you eat a lot of junk. If you exercise it will all be spent in energy which may explain why you don't put on weight much.

Proteins are good for building muscle. Any meat is good for that, as well as eggs. But the problem with protein is that by themselves they will constipated you so you need to eat more veg. If you eat too much carb you will put on weight but the wrong type eg fat. So a healthy balance of proteins and veg would work, with an occasional treat.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    6 small meals might be easier?

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to drink your calories.

Get a blender, some protein powder, yoghurt, milk, oats + whatever you like. Much cheaper than trying to get loads of meat down you.

Easy 1,000 calories per smoothie.

ReputationRep:
    Add a yoghurt to breakfast. You can wolf one down in about 10 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Protein powder
    Whole fat milk
    Butter in everything
    Whole grains (just cos it's healthier)
    Nuts
    Eggs
    Cream
    Peanut butter
    Cheese

Try making your portions progressively bigger. Or maybe try having an extra meal somewhere each day. I find having a cooked lunch aswell as dinner can help add calories. *

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.