Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm addicted to TV and think I might be going mental Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's currently half 6 in the morning and I haven't slept. I sleep at day now. I'm so tired I phoned in sick for work all weekend and I'm not even sick. I've stood my friends up twice now because of late nights.

I get over obsessed with TV shows, it's been skins this month and now I've finished it (not series 6 yet as I hate it) I've become lost and anxious because I can't find a new TV show and went crazy earlier. I've just been re watching bits and searching it on YouTube and I even tried to read fan fiction.

Worst of all, and why I'm worried about my mental state, is I act out TV shows to myself and create new stories and characters. I always did it when I was younger but I still haven't grown out of it, I do it a lot with hollyoaks and have planned out a whole character and her family. I even imagine the actress and her life and how she moves on to doctor who and stuff - I don't even watch doctor who anymore! I've done this with nearly every TV show since I can remember. I literally just sit in my room acting it all out and I see it play in my head.

Do I need help? Please idk what to do TV is my life and now I don't have one to watch I am going mentally crazy. Help me

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    (Original post by Eleri26)
    It's currently half 6 in the morning and I haven't slept. I sleep at day now. I'm so tired I phoned in sick for work all weekend and I'm not even sick. I've stood my friends up twice now because of late nights.

I get over obsessed with TV shows, it's been skins this month and now I've finished it (not series 6 yet as I hate it) I've become lost and anxious because I can't find a new TV show and went crazy earlier. I've just been re watching bits and searching it on YouTube and I even tried to read fan fiction.

Worst of all, and why I'm worried about my mental state, is I act out TV shows to myself and create new stories and characters. I always did it when I was younger but I still haven't grown out of it, I do it a lot with hollyoaks and have planned out a whole character and her family. I even imagine the actress and her life and how she moves on to doctor who and stuff - I don't even watch doctor who anymore! I've done this with nearly every TV show since I can remember. I literally just sit in my room acting it all out and I see it play in my head.

Do I need help? Please idk what to do TV is my life and now I don't have one to watch I am going mentally crazy. Help me
    'Maladaptive daydreaming' came to mind when reading your post. Bear in mind that these are just my thoughts and not a replacement for seeing a doctor, maybe if you feel like they match how you're feeling then you can see your GP and talk about it to them.
    It sounds like it's not the TV itself you're addicted to, but the daydreaming that it triggers. Obviously everyone daydreams, but when it becomes this severe and takes over your life like this it's a problem, and you need to figure out why you daydream like this. Are you bored or unhappy? Do you feel insecure or not confident enough to act out the things your characters do in the daydreams? If you work out what the root cause of this is, you can tackle that and then you won't be dependent on getting happiness or excitement from these daydreams.
    There's some webpages here you can read for more information:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/maladapt...what-it-247629

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/...e-Treated.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Hi

'Maladaptive daydreaming' came to mind when reading your post. Bear in mind that these are just my thoughts and not a replacement for seeing a doctor, maybe if you feel like they match how you're feeling then you can see your GP and talk about it to them.
    It sounds like it's not the TV itself you're addicted to, but the daydreaming that it triggers. Obviously everyone daydreams, but when it becomes this severe and takes over your life like this it's a problem, and you need to figure out why you daydream like this. Are you bored or unhappy? Do you feel insecure or not confident enough to act out the things your characters do in the daydreams? If you work out what the root cause of this is, you can tackle that and then you won't be dependent on getting happiness or excitement from these daydreams.
    There's some webpages here you can read for more information:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/maladapt...what-it-247629

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/...e-Treated.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow. I thought I was going mental. I can't believe other people go through exactly what I do, it all makes sense now - I can never concentrate in class because I'm either day dreaming or thinking about going back to day dreaming. It's got worse in the past two years, which is when I created this character "Anna Richards" who is a TV actress. My grades have slipped By a mile and now I finally understand why-I thought I was just stupid but it turns out I just can't concentrate.

Thank you so much for the help but I'm not sure how exactly I can't stop it, I mean it's like a daily normal habit of mine and I can't tell anyone as its too embarrassing and it's not recognised as a medical condition to be able to tell a doctor. I know I need to stop but at the same time I don't think I can.

I'm deffo not confident about myself, I think that's why I've created This character - she's loved, beautiful and taleneted. Everything I want to be but I'm not. Day dreaming is the only hobby I have, how else am I going to spend my time?

ReputationRep:
    I stopped watching TV two years ago xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleri26)
    Wow. I thought I was going mental. I can't believe other people go through exactly what I do, it all makes sense now - I can never concentrate in class because I'm either day dreaming or thinking about going back to day dreaming. It's got worse in the past two years, which is when I created this character "Anna Richards" who is a TV actress. My grades have slipped By a mile and now I finally understand why-I thought I was just stupid but it turns out I just can't concentrate.

Thank you so much for the help but I'm not sure how exactly I can't stop it, I mean it's like a daily normal habit of mine and I can't tell anyone as its too embarrassing and it's not recognised as a medical condition to be able to tell a doctor. I know I need to stop but at the same time I don't think I can.

I'm deffo not confident about myself, I think that's why I've created This character - she's loved, beautiful and taleneted. Everything I want to be but I'm not. Day dreaming is the only hobby I have, how else am I going to spend my time?
    I'd suggest that you start by reducing the amount of time spent daydreaming during class. It might seem difficult at first, but give it a go, stick with it, and you'll improve. Try to engage more in class, ask questions, contribute and discuss the work with people around you. Sit near the front if possible, it'll help you stay focused. If it gets really tempting think to yourself "if I concentrate now, I can think about that later". I doubt you'll want to do this but you could tell your teacher that you're struggling to concentrate so they may be able to help somehow, you needn't tell them about the reason if you don't want.
    At home you can try to identify your triggers and avoid them. You say you don't have another hobby but that doesn't mean you can't find one, you could try looking for a group at your school or around your area. You can also try and channel daydreaming into a healthier form, why not try writing your own fanfiction or stories?
    Working to overcome this, improving your grades as a result and making new friends at groups will help you to feel better about yourself 😃

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.