The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry A-level

Hi, so I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm considering taking A-level Chemistry (AQA). I just want to hear how other current A-level chemistry students are finding the course, if it's a lot different to GCSE chemistry (AQA) and if it requires a lot of hard math. All the other threads on A-level chemistry are from years ago and the courses have changed, so I would just like to hear how people are finding the current course. I am also hoping for an A* in my chemistry GCSE. Also, the other A-level's I am planning on taking are English Language, Biology and sociology. Thank you!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

I've moved this to the Chemistry forum for you - you're more likely to get an accurate answer here :h:
Original post by tooooodles
Hi, so I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm considering taking A-level Chemistry (AQA). I just want to hear how other current A-level chemistry students are finding the course, if it's a lot different to GCSE chemistry (AQA) and if it requires a lot of hard math. All the other threads on A-level chemistry are from years ago and the courses have changed, so I would just like to hear how people are finding the current course. I am also hoping for an A* in my chemistry GCSE. Also, the other A-level's I am planning on taking are English Language, Biology and sociology. Thank you!!

There isnt that much maths in A-Level chem (AQA) just basic maths with sometimes complicated unit conversion. It is a step up from GCSE but all A levels are. What are you hoping to do at Uni?
Reply 4
Original post by LPauling
There isnt that much maths in A-Level chem (AQA) just basic maths with sometimes complicated unit conversion. It is a step up from GCSE but all A levels are. What are you hoping to do at Uni?

Unit conversions. Complicated?
Original post by B_9710

Complicated may be pushing it a bit far. I just meant that is probably the hardest maths that you have to do in A-Level chemistry. For example from 1 mol dm^-3 into mol cm^-3
a s chemistry atleast mostly builds on gcse topics a few new topics are obviously added in but id say the only really maths chapter is the amount of substance so moles,titration,percentage yeild etc. I dont think it would be too hard just try to get it into you head and understand as much as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The maths in chemistry is very basic and very easy but, you need to understand what you're doing in calculations and why you are doing something, you have to understand what the maths means, so if you struggle with calculations in chemistry, it's not that your maths isn't very good, it's that your chemistry is not up to par.
Original post by B_9710

Original post by LPauling
Complicated may be pushing it a bit far. I just meant that is probably the hardest maths that you have to do in A-Level chemistry. For example from 1 mol dm^-3 into mol cm^-3

Was that clearer for you?

Quick Reply

Latest