Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm planning on studying History with French at university, and i'm wondering whether I should write separate statements for each department or whether i should do it together? Also, is there anyone looking at the same degree as me (i haven't found anyone yet... is French a dead subject?)

Thankyou!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Do you mean as a joint honours degree or applying for two different degrees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Do you mean as a joint honours degree or applying for two different degrees?
    Joint honours- they, in my opinion, can work well together
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by anaryanstark)
    that's fine, I'm not questioning your choice in that way, just checking it. You can only send one PS so you should write it about both subjects (and keep the balance - if it's 'with X' then do 75/25 and if it's 'and X' do 50/50)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by anaryanstark)
    I don't think you should split your statement into two sections, one for history and one for French. It looks a bit lazy. It shouldn't be too difficult to craft a PS which blends both French and history into one flowing piece of prose.

You will very likely study French history as part of the French half of your degree anyway and language admission tutors expect you to talk about all aspects of your chosen language (and countries where it's spoken), things like history, politics, film, literature, current affairs etc.

France has obviously had a profound impact on European history, e.g. Charlemagne , the Normans, the Hundred Years War, the Enlightenment, the French Revolution, Napoleon, the Belle Époque, The French colonisation (and disastrous de-colonisation) of Africa and of course WW1 and WW2 . France's history has also had a huge impact on the French language itself. Do you know much about the history of French and how it came to be the dominant language of France? It might be worth reading up on. In your PS you could talk about some of these events, explain why they interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions that you want to find the answers to. For example Charlemagne is interesting because he is claimed by both France and Germany and forms part of the national identity of both countries, so was he French or German? That said, you shouldn't feel limited to just talking about French history either. Talk about what interests you, whatever that may be.

I applied for a Norwegian and History degree but I talked about a range of things, for example an interest in the expulsion of the German minorities from post-war Eastern Europe (and related that back to minority rights for the indigenous Saami people in Norway), the history and development of the language, the competing Russian/Nordic spheres of influence and how they manifested themselves etc... so you see, there are ways of doing it.

That was rather a long post, sorry about that. Hope it made sense, I'm kind of tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I don't think you should split your statement into two sections, one for history and one for French. It looks a bit lazy. It shouldn't be too difficult to craft a PS which blends both French and history into one flowing piece of prose.

You will very likely study French history as part of the French half of your degree anyway and language admission tutors expect you to talk about all aspects of your chosen language (and countries where it's spoken), things like history, politics, film, literature, current affairs etc.

France has obviously had a profound impact on European history, e.g. Charlemagne , the Normans, the Hundred Years War, the Enlightenment, the French Revolution, Napoleon, the Belle Époque, The French colonisation (and disastrous de-colonisation) of Africa and of course WW1 and WW2 . France's history has also had a huge impact on the French language itself. Do you know much about the history of French and how it came to be the dominant language of France? It might be worth reading up on. In your PS you could talk about some of these events, explain why they interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions that you want to find the answers to. For example Charlemagne is interesting because he is claimed by both France and Germany and forms part of the national identity of both countries, so was he French or German? That said, you shouldn't feel limited to just talking about French history either. Talk about what interests you, whatever that may be.

I applied for a Norwegian and History degree but I talked about a range of things, for example an interest in the expulsion of the German minorities from post-war Eastern Europe (and related that back to minority rights for the indigenous Saami people in Norway), the history and development of the language, the competing Russian/Nordic spheres of influence and how they manifested themselves etc... so you see, there are ways of doing it.

That was rather a long post, sorry about that. Hope it made sense, I'm kind of tired.
    You're right, it IS a long post... but it has made me realise that it really needs to flow well and an interest in French history in particular will help with that (although i am interested in wider fields such as Mao's China, and i feel i should mention my interest in History isn't just limited to France, but rather a more international view). Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the post- i feel confident talking about French history and the current political climate in France but i'm not so confident about the literature side!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.