Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Recommendations for Computer Science watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to do computer science at uni and with just getting my predicted grades through:

A-Computing
    B-Business
    C-Maths

i was just wondering which places would accept these grades? Maths can be improved but i am wondering where i should apply or if any computer science student could say what grades they got ?
    cheers
    Rich

(Original post by Da_Head1)
    Hi I want to do computer science at uni and with just getting my predicted grades through:

A-Computing
    B-Business
    C-Maths

i was just wondering which places would accept these grades? Maths can be improved but i am wondering where i should apply or if any computer science student could say what grades they got ?
    cheers
    Rich
    If you would like some better advice about the types of uni's you might want to consider then it would be helpful if you told us a little more about the type of course that you would like and the environment you would like to study in (e.g. isolated campus or big city or small town etc...). Your grades look good so you have a shot at anywhere you fancy.

I applied for comp sci with AABC at AS and I'm supposed to be looking at something like AAABBa (wont happen though ) at A2.

ReputationRep:
    Your grades aren't bad, but you probably won't be happy doing one of the maths-heavy computer science courses. Kent isn't too fussy about Maths A-level I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for computer science with ABBBC at AS in biology, physics, business, PE and general studies. I stupidly didnt choose to study maths at A level (had no idea what I wanted to do beforehand, and had no idea how important maths would be :rolleyes: ) and so I applied to the best unis for computer science that didnt require maths. If you don't think that your maths grade will improve you may want to consider applying to some of the following. I was accepted to all 6 and the offers were:

Durham - BBC (their standard offer is AAB though)
    Lancaster - BBC
    UEA - BBC
    Kings - AAB (and they wanted an A in physics)
    Newcastle - BBB
    Royal Holloway - BBB

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry about the lack of info, i'm a bit of a new poster,
    I wouldn't mind studying in a quiet place, not too bothered about nightlife. Medium campus but with an ok reputation...

As for maths I could reel off an A/B a-level + i'm taking futher maths AS, but i don't know the teacher very well but i won't get into that...

Where did you apply to leekey?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Chris thats great info
    Yeah I stupidly didn't take physics or electronics :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Kent don't mind if you don't have Maths to full A level 'cause they teach extra maths in the first year for those people....

The standard offer is 320 points...which I think is AAB? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm going to Kent, was very impressed by the department, facilities and links with industry. Results and research are very good too. And Canterbury is a gorgeous city...even if it does have 1 and a half clubs haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Kent don't mind if you don't have Maths to full A level 'cause they teach extra maths in the first year for those people....

The standard offer is 320 points...which I think is AAB?
    320 is ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    320 is ABB
    Thanks - I am useless when it comes to the points system...

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys planning to do with your degrees, like what area of the industry do you want to go into?

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys planning to do with your degrees, like what area of the industry do you want to go into?
    Well, I would either like to go into the film industry doing the technical side of special effects or animation.....or a bit less ambitious, work for a top consultancy firm like Cap Gemini Ernst & Young.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Im still striving to be a rock star, but if that fails...

Thinking about web design because I already do a lot of it, I enjoy it, and Im good at it. To be honest Im still completely unsure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Well, Im still striving to be a rock star, but if that fails...

Thinking about web design because I already do a lot of it, I enjoy it, and Im good at it. To be honest Im still completely unsure..
    I've done quite a bit of web design too...but it seems every man and his dog is doing it these days, so i'm routing my career in a different direction...

I guess, ultimately though, I just don't wanna be in a 9-5 job sitting behind the same computer every day doing the same thing...and hardware really doesn't interest me either.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i started off with web design too, but then C/C++ dug in and grabbed me a by the arms and dragged me off. That was at about 14...
    Yeah i'm different in my preference to hours, the weird thing is I can't wait to start working programming 14 hour days way into the hours of the morning. I suppose that is a bit weird but i like that sort of stuff. I probably think of it as some sort of an escape from life! (whoa deep eh? )

ReputationRep:
    A/AS level 320 points (21 units) including 18 units at A level or VCE A level, IB 32 points;
    does that mean that i can make 320 points using 3 A2's and one AS level? Is on Module same as a unit then? e.g. 3 A2's BBC and AS C, making 320 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    does that mean that i can make 320 points using 3 A2's and one AS level? Is on Module same as a unit then? e.g. 3 A2's BBC and AS C, making 320 points.
    I have no idea...sorry, i'm useless when it comes to points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    Yup.

Yeah sorry about the lack of info, i'm a bit of a new poster,
    I wouldn't mind studying in a quiet place, not too bothered about nightlife. Medium campus but with an ok reputation...

As for maths I could reel off an A/B a-level + i'm taking futher maths AS, but i don't know the teacher very well but i won't get into that...

Where did you apply to leekey?
    I applied to Durham (EE), UEA (EE), Loughborough (EE), Manchester (ABB), Nottingham (AAB), Newcastle (ABC). I'm hopefully going to Edinburgh (AAB / BBB) after rejecting my offers though.

If nightlife doesn't mean much to you then you have a much wider variety of options. If you can pull your maths grade up to a B then you have a good chance at pretty much anywhere. In terms of places that fit your description you could look at Nottingham (AAB-BBC), Warwick (AAB), UEA (BBC), St Andrews (BBC) and Loughborough (BBB). Some other allegedly very good departments are....

York (need an A in maths)
    Edinburgh (if you are willing to do 4 years then BBB with maths is a great offer for one of the best in the UK)
    Southampton (definitely take a look at this one, class department)
    Kent (supposed to have good links to Sun Micro)
    Manchester (birth place of the stored program etc...)

If you have any questions about any particular place then feel free to ask as I'm sure one of us will have been there at some stage.

ReputationRep:

A-Computing
    B-Business
    C-Maths

cheers
    Rich
    Are you applying for Sep 2005 or this yr through clearing?

(Original post by who_me)
    Are you applying for Sep 2005 or this yr through clearing?
    I'd guess Sep 2005 the the poster would probably have said "courses available through clearing" and he is working on his predicted grades as opposed to AS grades.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.