Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm babysitting a child who I have never babysat before tonight. She is 4 years old. Apparently, she is very afraid of sleeping alone and will often leave her room and ask for company. What should I do in this situation? Sit with her until she falls asleep or just keep taking her back to bed? All the kids I normally babysit are very good and never leave their rooms after lights out.

ReputationRep:
    so you spend nights with those that you babysit?
    best thing to do imo is get a mattress, put it on the floor of that child's room and sleep on it (she can still have the "proper bed" to herself)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Cant you just ask the parents what the best tactic is? Read stories? Talk to her about Brexit? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    so you spend nights with those that you babysit?
    best thing to do imo is get a mattress, put it on the floor of that child's room and sleep on it (she can still have the "proper bed" to herself)
    I'm only staying until half past midnight and I'm not going to sleep there. I'm actually babysitting in place of a friend so I've never met the parents or child before. I'd feel awkward asking for a mattress and I don't want to go to sleep at 8pm (said child's bedtime).

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Cant you just ask the parents what the best tactic is? Read stories? Talk to her about Brexit? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I guess I could. But I worry that if I talk to her it will stop her from going to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I'm only staying until half past midnight and I'm not going to sleep there. I'm actually babysitting in place of a friend so I've never met the parents or child before. I'd feel awkward asking for a mattress and I don't want to go to sleep at 8pm (said child's bedtime).

I guess I could. But I worry that if I talk to her it will stop her from going to sleep.
    then i'd follow the advice of the other person, to tell bedtime stories so that she does go to sleep. Maybe you'd have to stay up until she is properly asleep
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The parents will know. Other than that ask the child, but you have to avoid them becoming unreasonable. Cant you just play/ read soures until she become really tired? Better she goes to sleep properly when ready rather than constant coming downstairs. You havent babysat her so you dont know what the parents advice will be nor what she is like irl.

I see you say you are a repalcement, then why not ask the friend what tactic they use?

The parents will know. Other than that ask the child, but you have to avoid them becoming unreasonable. Cant you just play/ read soures until she become really tired? Better she goes to sleep properly when ready rather than constant coming downstairs. You havent babysat her so you dont know what the parents advice will be nor what she is like irl.

I see you say you are a repalcement, then why not ask the friend what tactic they use?
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    then i'd follow the advice of the other person, to tell bedtime stories so that she does go to sleep. Maybe you'd have to stay up until she is properly asleep
    My friend is on holiday right now and not replying to texts. I guess I'll ask the parents what to do and hope and pray that it works!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You will be fine. No need to panic.

ReputationRep:
    It's Sunday tomorrow, and she's 4. What's she got to be up for? It's not like she's got to organise a dinner party or anything.
    If she wants company, just stick Peppa Pig or Spongebob or The Omen or something on tv, she'll fall asleep to it eventually.

Or, you could do the sensible thing, and stay with her until she falls asleep. That way, you don't get disturbed every 15 minutes by "I can't sleep". The time you expend in staying with her until she nods off will be the time you save in taking her back to bed... which leaves you plenty of time to rifle through their booze cabinet for the good stuff

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
    It's Sunday tomorrow, and she's 4. What's she got to be up for? It's not like she's got to organise a dinner party or anything.
    If she wants company, just stick Peppa Pig or Spongebob or The Omen or something on tv, she'll fall asleep to it eventually.

Or, you could do the sensible thing, and stay with her until she falls asleep. That way, you don't get disturbed every 15 minutes by "I can't sleep". The time you expend in staying with her until she nods off will be the time you save in taking her back to bed... which leaves you plenty of time to rifle through their booze cabinet for the good stuff
    Haha thanks. I'll sit with her. I guess I always worry that the parents will think I'm a failure if they come back and their child is still awake.

You will be fine. No need to panic.
    Aww thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Haha thanks. I'll sit with her. I guess I always worry that the parents will think I'm a failure if they come back and their child is still awake.
    People are strange. If it was my kid, I'd have no problem if she either fell asleep in bed or fell asleep on the sofa while watching something. At the end of the day, she's asleep. Unfortunately, not all people have such a casual attitude, so yeah it's probably for the best to sit with her until she falls asleep.

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
    People are strange. If it was my kid, I'd have no problem if she either fell asleep in bed or fell asleep on the sofa while watching something. At the end of the day, she's asleep. Unfortunately, not all people have such a casual attitude, so yeah it's probably for the best to sit with her until she falls asleep.
    I know, right? Wish me luck. I'm going to watch some episodes of 'Supernanny' as prep. Surely, she can't be as bad as that!

Just call me the child whisperer. She and her sister have now been in bed for an hour and are (fingers crossed) asleep. They were my toughest job yet though - put up a real fight over going to bed.

Let the kid stay up and watch TV while you get stoned in the kitchen. Alternatively you could play video games togther or somethin (bring your xbox over).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.