Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

So I have been interning at a company for a short period of time. I am not enjoying it at all. I have not signed any contract, I just accepted the internship offer via email. Anyway do I need to provide notice and if so then would I need to tell them why I'm actually leaving because I don't really have a solid reason and don't want to lie.

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by r-t)
    Hi guys

So I have been interning at a company for a short period of time. I am not enjoying it at all. I have not signed any contract, I just accepted the internship offer via email. Anyway do I need to provide notice and if so then would I need to tell them why I'm actually leaving because I don't really have a solid reason and don't want to lie.

Thanks
    You don;t have to provide notice. However, telling them why you are leaving would enable them to change their processes or practices and make it better for those that follow you. You have a solid enough reason to want to leave and lose out on the experience.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=S1939;66335736]
    (Original post by r-t)
    Hi guys

Unpaid internships= exploitation
    if you're doing the same job as the person sitting next you, and not getting paid- how is that fair??????
    I did my first internship last year (I was 17), and it wasn't even an organisation- it was a charity, and they still paid me!!!!!! They paid me above the minimum wage as as well, and even gave me 1 week paid leave- and it was for 6 weeks.

Internships are so important and useful, but you should be upfront. Tell them that you should be paid! Speak to your line manager!!! Speak to the CEO!!!
    One colleague of mine was telling me how she did unpaid internship for 3 months once she left uni- having to rely on her bf for support. It's beyond ridiculous man.
    Unless we do something, they'll carry these f**** unpaid internships.
    The one thing that gets me mad more than anything is how these unpaid internships just seem to be reinforcing the class system. Those middle class/ well off students can rely on their families for support.
    Mine is actually at a charity too, a well known one aswell. Whilst being unpaid is unfair that isn't really my main reason of quitting because I knew this before accepting it. But the work is just so boring it's mainly just general admin which has notning to do with the role I applied to, like it's one thing not to get paid but to be given boring monotone work is another. Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You don;t have to provide notice. However, telling them why you are leaving would enable them to change their processes or practices and make it better for those that follow you. You have a solid enough reason to want to leave and lose out on the experience.
    Okay, yeh it's a shame because I spent a lot of time looking for an internship, an all my instincts are just telling me to stick it out but it's just so bad. Hopefully I'll be able to find another one before I leave. Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    [QUOTE=r-t;66336008]
    (Original post by S1939)

Mine is actually at a charity too, a well known one aswell. Whilst being unpaid is unfair that isn't really my main reason of quitting because I knew this before accepting it. But the work is just so boring it's mainly just general admin which has notning to do with the role I applied to, like it's one thing not to get paid but to be given boring monotone work is another. Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should absolutely tell them this. You should have a clear discussion with your line manager or team head about what skills they think you are learning versus the skills you want to learn. Interns can't come into an organisation and expect to immediately be put on front line work, especially in something like a charity where they could ruin the cultivation of a high net worth donor for example. On the other hand, organisations shouldn't be offering internships if they are just going to give the interns basic office tasks. There has to be a balance of where you can usefully and safely add value, and where you learn new skills and information.

The only way this organisation will know they have got it wrong is if you give them feedback.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.