The Student Room Group

Should I do 5 AS Levels?

I've just done my GCSEs and am predicted to get A*s in all of them. The four A Levels I've decided on are Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths. The fifth would either be French or Biology, and I'd drop it after doing the AS Level. My teachers have told me repeatedly that I should consider taking 5 A Levels because they think I can handle the workload - for Maths/FM I've already tried a few of the C1, C2 and FP1 papers and done pretty well in them.
I want to study Chemical Engineering at university.
I know this isn't the only thread asking about taking 5 A Levels! But I want to ask anyone on the new specification for the sciences, what the workload is like and if it's doable. What are the advantages of doing 5 (apart from bragging rights)? Even though I found some of the units easy, have I totally underestimated how hard Maths A Level is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did 5 AS Levels, but that was different since the A Levels weren't reformed. Even then, I don't think I have any advantages over people who did 4. With the new reforms, I think there are even fewer advantages to taking 5 or even 4. My school has encouraged everyone to do just 3, with the more able students doing 4.
I don't see why you should do 5, unless you're planning to apply to Oxbridge and is confident in getting A*/A in all of them.
Original post by Azarashi
I did 5 AS Levels, but that was different since the A Levels weren't reformed. Even then, I don't think I have any advantages over people who did 4. With the new reforms, I think there are even fewer advantages to taking 5 or even 4. My school has encouraged everyone to do just 3, with the more able students doing 4.
I don't see why you should do 5, unless you're planning to apply to Oxbridge and is confident in getting A*/A in all of them.

I want to apply to Cambridge, but I've read that UMS is more important than the number of A Levels - I study pretty hard so I think I could keep my UMS high doing 5 A Levels, but do you think there are other things that I could do with my time that could help my uni application more? The thing is it's quite difficult to get chemical engineering work experience, so I don't know what else I could do to stand out - I thought doing 5 AS Levels would do that but it seems like more trouble than it's worth!
No. Absolutely pointless.
Reply 4
Original post by yaystrawberries
I want to apply to Cambridge, but I've read that UMS is more important than the number of A Levels - I study pretty hard so I think I could keep my UMS high doing 5 A Levels, but do you think there are other things that I could do with my time that could help my uni application more? The thing is it's quite difficult to get chemical engineering work experience, so I don't know what else I could do to stand out - I thought doing 5 AS Levels would do that but it seems like more trouble than it's worth!

The more important thing than grades I think is the interview, for Oxbridge. The applicants who are thinking of applying to Oxbridge probably have the capability to achieve the grade requirements, it's getting the offer that's the problem. If I were you, I'd probably spend the extra free time to research and read around your course, and study past interview questions. Especially with Cambridge, a higher percentage get an interview, so I would focus on that.
read this @hals
you seem like a pretty smart guy

Spoiler

Don't bother with 5 - honestly, it's a waste of time, you'll have more work and fewer frees to do your work in and biology is especially content heavy - you don't even seem too bothered about either french or biology, so just don't bother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

UMS as such will no longer exist for you (it may remain for a couple of unreformed subjects e.g. maths fm but i'm not sure when everything is properly reformed), so that won't be particularly relevant. Honestly I can't imagine doing 5 is going to give you an advantage especially for french- if anything it will be a sign you can cope with a heavy workload, but they're going to be much more interested in subjects relevant to chem eng and you can always do other stuff that might be more interesting to them
If you wanna flop all of your subjects take 5 AS levels. My school only allow students to take 3 A-Levels (AS & A2) and its so hard to even take 4 subjects (whilst dropping one at AS). 5 is pointless and too hard. If you're extremely (and I mean extremely) intelligent and hard working..go for it.
NOOOO! You will put yourself through hell:angry:. Especially now since the new spec has come in most subjects have all the official exams at the end of 2 years so even having 4 a levels will be very hard.You need to remember that GCSES are nothing in comparison to A levels but if you feel like you are capable HOWEVER I must warn you, I am such a chilled out person about exams and I study hard but a levels ****ed with my head and I ended up failing:frown:. Think about it very carefully and if something do the 4 alevels and pick up an as in the second year if you feel capable.
And also you will be physically and mentally tired by feb/march so be careful!
And yes, you have underestimated A-Levels Maths and FM I think..from what I've heard from my brother and other people...the other units are harddd....
A Levels are the highway to hell. With 5 your ride's gunna be like a rollercoaster...even worse!!! This is partly because of the A Level reforms now and the new spec and the amount of workload.
I've just done my GCSEs and am predicted to get A*s in all of them. The four A Levels I've decided on are Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths. The fifth would either be French or Biology, and I'd drop it after doing the AS Level. My teachers have told me repeatedly that I should consider taking 5 A Levels because they think I can handle the workload - for Maths/FM I've already tried a few of the C1, C2 and FP1 papers and done pretty well in them.
I know this isn't the only thread asking about taking 5 A Levels! But I want to ask anyone on the new specification for the sciences, what the workload is like and if it's doable. What are the advantages of doing 5 (apart from bragging rights)? Even though I found some of the units easy, have I totally underestimated how hard Maths A Level is?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132200/The-boy-set-getting-Cambridge-got-22-A-levels.html

Well he done 22 so yh go for it.
Reply 15

People might say that doing more than 4 might not be an advantage, but realistically, most engineering applicants will be applying with 4 As along with stellar predicted grades. One more A might just give you the slightest edge. AAAAA in 5 STEM subjects can't be a bad thing.

That being said, do it only if you're confident you'll achieve top grades. Flopping due to the added stress and getting AAABB will hurt your application more than doing 4 and getting AAAA.

have I totally underestimated how hard Maths A Level is?

No, Maths (and Further Maths) A level are certainly easier than the sciences in my opinion.
Original post by Ayman!
People might say that doing more than 4 might not be an advantage, but realistically, most engineering applicants will be applying with 4 As along with stellar predicted grades. One more A might just give you the slightest edge. AAAAA in 5 STEM subjects can't be a bad thing.

That being said, do it only if you're confident you'll achieve top grades. Flopping due to the added stress and getting AAABB will hurt your application more than doing 4 and getting AAAA.

No, Maths (and Further Maths) A level are certainly easier than the sciences in my opinion.

^^ PRSOM
Also about maths, yes learning it is easy but this year the exams messed up a lot of people because they were much harder.
My mate got into oxford with 3, but she got 100ums (100%) in 2 of them! Think more quality over quantity.
I know someone in the year above who did 8 (yes really!) and achieved something like 4A*s and 4As and got rejected by cambridge and went ucl instead for chemistry. So Alevels arent everything. May not be worth putting yourself through extra Alevels as there is a chance you wont get into oxbridge (sorry if that sounds harsh but they do have a high rejection rate, but thats a disscussion for another day).
Best of luck regardless!
Honestly, there's no point. For chemical engineering you just need 3 a levels including maths and chemistry (for the unis I have looked at). Even a 4th a level would be pointless

Quick Reply

Latest