Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm confused when choosing a course because with biochemistry, there is either a Bsc degree ? or a Msci degree?

    What is the difference between them?
    Do you have to get a Bsc, in order to be able to do a Msci?
    If you're looking to get a PhD which one would be best to go for?

    A BSc is a 3 year course - this is the "standard" degree. An MSci course is an integrated masters - this is a four year course. The first three years are like a BSc (and so you could choose to graduate after 3 years if you decided you didn't want to do the fourth year), with the fourth year being similar to a 1 year masters course.

    If you want to do a PhD, most PhDs require a four year course (MSci) or a BSc and a masters, but this is not always the case. So I would say go for an MSci if you're thinking of doing a PhD.

    Also, it is generally recommended that you go for the MSci course if you're not sure which to do, as in terms of funding it is easy to switch down to the BSc, but not so easy to switch up to the MSci (since it is easier to say you don't need the fourth year of student finance than try to get an extra year of finance if you initially applied to the three year).

    I did a physics degree which also had MSci / BSc options. Many people initially applied for the MSci only to change their minds while at university. I was on an MSci course but have just decided to graduate with a BSc as I'm doing a masters elsewhere. There is a lot of flexibility with this, so it's not essential to decide whether to do a BSc or an MSci, but as I said above, I would recommend initially applying for the MSci.

    Some universities seem to have different (higher) grade requirements for the MSci over the BSc, which is ridiculous because you can switch courses anyway.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.