Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am alittle disappointed and upset with my results, however i am trying to work out what ive gotten already and what i need to achieve to level everything out and get a 2.1 atleast (60% overall).
    I am studying Law, and the second year of my degree is worth 40% and the 3rd year is worth 60%.
    At the moment, I have received the results of 3 modules for my second year which is worth 40% of my whole degree, in which I have gotten 45% 54% and 56%. However, there is another module for second year that i am yet to sit in September (due to mitigating circumstances), however I have submitted coursework that was worth 20% of this module, and received 58% in.
    All these modules for 2nd year are worth 30 credits each.
    Can anyone help me figure out what i will need to get in the module i am yet to sit in September to average out a 2.1 for 2nd year, regardless of how hard it may be?
    Also for my 3rd year, which is worth 60% of my whole degree, what percentage would i need to average in all 4 modules to achieve a 2.1 overall, along with my 2nd year results?? All 4 modules that I am yet to take for 3rd year will also be worth 30 credits each.

    Pleasse help me! i know this is confusing, but i just need someone to give me some direction so i know what to aim for, as i am truly disappointed with my results thus far, i wasnt expecting this!! :'(

    I appreciate any advice/ help anyone can give me with this!!
    Thank you!!!!!
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrypatato)
    Hi,

    At the moment, I have received the results of 3 modules for my second year which is worth 40% of my whole degree, in which I have gotten 45% 54% and 56%. However, there is another module for second year that i am yet to sit in September (due to mitigating circumstances), however I have submitted coursework that was worth 20% of this module, and received 58% in.
    All these modules for 2nd year are worth 30 credits each.
    Can anyone help me figure out what i will need to get in the module i am yet to sit in September to average out a 2.1 for 2nd year, regardless of how hard it may be?
    (0.45 * 0.25) + (0.54 * 0.25) + (0.56 * 0.25) + (0.58 * 0.25 * 0.2) = 0.4165.

    0.60 - 0.4165 = 0.1835 / 0.2 = 91.75%

    You need 91.75% to get a 2:1 for the year (assuming that this requires a 60% average). This is presumably completely impossible.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for your help!
    I understand that i will probably end up with a 2.2 this year, which is worth 40% of my degree, However what about for my third year, which i will start this October?
    I will be doing 4 modules, all 30 credits each and they will be worth 60% of my whole degree in my 3rd year.
    If i end up with a 2.2, possibly 55% this year( my second year), what would i need to average in all 4 modules next year(third year) for me to achieve a 2.1 overall for my degree? surely a 60% overall in every module will not be enough as my second year results will bring my overall result down?

    Im so confused!! thank you for your response!! its really helped! I appreciate it!
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrypatato)
    If i end up with a 2.2, possibly 55% this year( my second year), what would i need to average in all 4 modules next year(third year) for me to achieve a 2.1 overall for my degree? surely a 60% overall in every module will not be enough as my second year results will bring my overall result down?
    If you end up with 55% average for second year, and assuming that you need 60% overall for a 2:1, then:

    [0.6 - (0.55 * 0.4) ] / 0.6 = 63.333%

    You will need 63.33% average in third year for a 2:1
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    If you end up with 55% average for second year, and assuming that you need 60% overall for a 2:1, then:

    [0.6 - (0.55 * 0.4) ] / 0.6 = 63.333%

    You will need 63.33% average in third year for a 2:1
    Hi, thanks for your reply again!! you are ever so helpful! atleast know i know what i need to aim for in each module.

    Just want to clarify, assuming I achieve a 55% for my second year (worth 40%) and then 63% next year for my third year (worth 60% of my degree), will this still average out to a 2.1 overall, because my second year is worth less (40%) than my third year (which is worth the rest of the 60%)??

    I'm not sure how the weightings will be worked out because one year is worth more than the other.
    Thanks ever so much for your help!!
    Its really appreciated!!!!!
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrypatato)
    Hi, thanks for your reply again!! you are ever so helpful! atleast know i know what i need to aim for in each module.

    Just want to clarify, assuming I achieve a 55% for my second year (worth 40%) and then 63% next year for my third year (worth 60% of my degree), will this still average out to a 2.1 overall, because my second year is worth less (40%) than my third year (which is worth the rest of the 60%)??

    I'm not sure how the weightings will be worked out because one year is worth more than the other.
    Thanks ever so much for your help!!
    Its really appreciated!!!!!
    That's what I just worked out.

    63.3333% in third year, 55% in second year averages out to 60% overall because of the weightings.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    That's what I just worked out.

    63.3333% in third year, 55% in second year averages out to 60% overall because of the weightings.
    oh right!! thank you ever so much!!! You have been a great help!

    I worked out that if i am aiming for a 55% (mid 2.2) with just this paper i am to sit in September this year, i will need to hit 65% in this exam. However, if i do get 65%, how much will the mark of my coursework in which i got 58% ( worth 20% of this 30 credit module) bring my result of 65% down ( in the exam in September worth the rest of the 80% of the module)?

    If you can help, please do, you're a star!!!!
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.