Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Networked Halls watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone agree a networked hall makes life easier? Or should it not really be a factor in my decision making?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)
    Would anyone agree a networked hall makes life easier? Or should it not really be a factor in my decision making?
    Yes, they make life a lot easier!

Imagine attempting a piece of coursework late evening/night and not being able to find the information you require in a text book so you need the net, so you have to go out to the 24 hour IT labs.

Now imagine having the internet in your room

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's a very valid feature! Especially if not having a network means you're going to have to spend loads of time at the library or , as my boyfriend did, have to pay an extortionate amount for a dialup account from his room!

ReputationRep:
    Thats a dissapointment because my perfect course and uni ( Sunderland, Business Studies with American Studies) only has 1 networked hall and that is for post grads

ReputationRep:
    Thats a dissapointment because my perfect course and uni ( Sunderland, Business Studies with American Studies) only has 1 networked hall and that is for post grads
    Ooh sorry, I thought you were really referring to choosing between halls at a particular university!! If you've found somewhere perfect for you then you should really just go there and try to make the best of what halls you end up in. Everyone else will be in the same boat, so I guess you'll get used to it together!!

It's ultimately a matter of convenience - if I could have the choice between networked/not networked at my ideal uni, i'd go for networked every time. But I wouldn't go to somewhere less than ideal just for the convenience of having a network in my room. It's not like you won't have a COMPUTER or anything drastic, just I guess you may not get network access..

Also, check to see if there is a computer room onsite, cos i guess that would pretty much solve your problems!

ReputationRep:
    I know, but its just I want to be able to have my own laptop and visit websites and chat to my friends on msn and stuff, from my room. The unofficial guides dont rate their computer facilities highly, and there are no 24 hour places. And i would probably get mugged walking there and back during night time.

That s Scotia quay, if I remember well and it s next to Panns Bank. It s really nice there.

ReputationRep:
    yeah rub it in why dont ya

I was told that there is internet access provided in my room, but it's from the University network.. :confused: Does anyone know how fast it could be and if it s very restricted? I hope that I will be able to browse web pages and play online games.. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    I was told that there is internet access provided in my room, but it's from the University network.. :confused: Does anyone know how fast it could be and if it s very restricted? I hope that I will be able to browse web pages and play online games.. :eek:
    Lol, it'll probably be 10 Mbps or so. Obviously you'll be able to browse web pages and gaming shouldn't be a problem either (low ping and all).

Oh that s perfect. I asked the question because I know that some unis only provide access to the faculties web pages and to your uni e-mail account but they state clearly that internet access is provided in the halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)

Extremely fast !

So fast that I get frustrated when I get back home, and I've got Broadband there.

You should have access to the whole internet - they don't block things out, but they can monitor for huge amounts of downloading, particularly from P2P - which we were advised is antisocial behaviour (!), and is thus against the terms of your residence contract.

You'll also have the benefit of accessing any e-journals on sites that the Uni's Library has signed up for at their expense, which is always useful.

Yeah you'll be able to play games and access the web, otherwise how would you do any research ?

ReputationRep:
    P2P applications are blocked in some halls though, as are online games. Generally it's a lucky dip, with some unis only allowing web traffic such as LSE (who have a traffic shaper- this makes online games, p2p and ftp ridiculously slow).

I know, but its just I want to be able to have my own laptop and visit websites and chat to my friends on msn and stuff, from my room. The unofficial guides dont rate their computer facilities highly, and there are no 24 hour places. And i would probably get mugged walking there and back during night time.
    I ve got good news for you. One of their halls (the Forge) is already connected to the University network and they are trying to get all the other halls connected too, using Janet, their wireless network.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.