GCSEstudentt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would love to do history at A Level but I did geography at GCSE so the last time I did history was year 9 lol. Do you think it would be difficult for me to not have the background knowledge, is it worth taking at A Level?
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GCSEstudentt)
I would love to do history at A Level but I did geography at GCSE so the last time I did history was year 9 lol. Do you think it would be difficult for me to not have the background knowledge, is it worth taking at A Level?
A level History is hard, but very rewarding (if you get it right). I suggest catching up over the summer holidays if you are to succeed.
brxvebird
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey!
I did the exact same thing. I did Geography at GCSE and now do History at A-Level, and I did an extra year at a different college, so I hadn't done history in 3-4 years.

To be completely honest, I have had no problems at all. I have a teacher who is pretty incompetent at times as well, but as long as you pay attention in class and make notes outside of lessons, you will be absolutely fine.

After all, there is a reason why most colleges don't require you to have GCSE History to do A-Level, and that's because you don't need it.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no background knowledge with History from GCSE to A Level tbf. 99 times out of 100 you will be doing different eras of history, so I'm sure you'll be fine
GCSEstudentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by brxvebird)
Hey!
I did the exact same thing. I did Geography at GCSE and now do History at A-Level, and I did an extra year at a different college, so I hadn't done history in 3-4 years.

To be completely honest, I have had no problems at all. I have a teacher who is pretty incompetent at times as well, but as long as you pay attention in class and make notes outside of lessons, you will be absolutely fine.

After all, there is a reason why most colleges don't require you to have GCSE History to do A-Level, and that's because you don't need it.
Thank you! Yeah this history a level only requires a B in English
brxvebird
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you! Yeah this history a level only requires a B in English
Great! Then I'm sure you'll have no problems at all.

Another thing you'll probably come to realise when you look at A-Levels is that History is also a widely respected choice. It will be a good advantage to have a good grade in History A-Level when applying to university.

The only thing I would say is to check what periods of History your new college/sixth form offers, as it goes without saying, you're more likely to excel in a period you're interested in! I love History, and I would say it is definitely worth while taking. Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to message me! :-)
username1294428
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did geography at GCSE and history at A level. I did find it difficult but so did people in my class who previously did GCSE history.

From what I've heard from my friends who did history GCSE, after comparing it to the A Level, the two are nowhere near similar in terms of topics so it's not actually needed for you to have done GCSE history to do it at A level. You will more than likely end up studying a completely different period at A level than you could have studied at GCSE.
GCSEstudentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by katherine9609)
I did geography at GCSE and history at A level. I did find it difficult but so did people in my class who previously did GCSE history.

From what I've heard from my friends who did history GCSE, after comparing it to the A Level, the two are nowhere near similar in terms of topics so it's not actually needed for you to have done GCSE history to do it at A level. You will more than likely end up studying a completely different period at A level than you could have studied at GCSE.
Oh that's good, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (219)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (173)
44.13%

Watched Threads