Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do history at A Level but I did geography at GCSE so the last time I did history was year 9 lol. Do you think it would be difficult for me to not have the background knowledge, is it worth taking at A Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEstudentt)
    I would love to do history at A Level but I did geography at GCSE so the last time I did history was year 9 lol. Do you think it would be difficult for me to not have the background knowledge, is it worth taking at A Level?
    A level History is hard, but very rewarding (if you get it right). I suggest catching up over the summer holidays if you are to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I did the exact same thing. I did Geography at GCSE and now do History at A-Level, and I did an extra year at a different college, so I hadn't done history in 3-4 years.

To be completely honest, I have had no problems at all. I have a teacher who is pretty incompetent at times as well, but as long as you pay attention in class and make notes outside of lessons, you will be absolutely fine.

After all, there is a reason why most colleges don't require you to have GCSE History to do A-Level, and that's because you don't need it.

ReputationRep:
    There is no background knowledge with History from GCSE to A Level tbf. 99 times out of 100 you will be doing different eras of history, so I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brxvebird)
    Hey!
    I did the exact same thing. I did Geography at GCSE and now do History at A-Level, and I did an extra year at a different college, so I hadn't done history in 3-4 years.

To be completely honest, I have had no problems at all. I have a teacher who is pretty incompetent at times as well, but as long as you pay attention in class and make notes outside of lessons, you will be absolutely fine.

After all, there is a reason why most colleges don't require you to have GCSE History to do A-Level, and that's because you don't need it.
    Thank you! Yeah this history a level only requires a B in English

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Yeah this history a level only requires a B in English
    Great! Then I'm sure you'll have no problems at all.

Another thing you'll probably come to realise when you look at A-Levels is that History is also a widely respected choice. It will be a good advantage to have a good grade in History A-Level when applying to university.

The only thing I would say is to check what periods of History your new college/sixth form offers, as it goes without saying, you're more likely to excel in a period you're interested in! I love History, and I would say it is definitely worth while taking. Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to message me! :-)

ReputationRep:
    I did geography at GCSE and history at A level. I did find it difficult but so did people in my class who previously did GCSE history.

From what I've heard from my friends who did history GCSE, after comparing it to the A Level, the two are nowhere near similar in terms of topics so it's not actually needed for you to have done GCSE history to do it at A level. You will more than likely end up studying a completely different period at A level than you could have studied at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine9609)
    I did geography at GCSE and history at A level. I did find it difficult but so did people in my class who previously did GCSE history.

From what I've heard from my friends who did history GCSE, after comparing it to the A Level, the two are nowhere near similar in terms of topics so it's not actually needed for you to have done GCSE history to do it at A level. You will more than likely end up studying a completely different period at A level than you could have studied at GCSE.
    Oh that's good, thanks

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.