The Student Room Group

Anyone else taking A levels as a private candidate?

Hello....so i was just wondering if anyone else on here is taking A levels as a private candidate, if so then would u like to get in touch and maybe start a skype study group or something like that? I think that would be fun. I am taking the whole A levels as a private candidate In one go including AS next June with CIE. The subjects that i will be taking are Economics Pure maths History and English Language
(edited 7 years ago)
I suggest you look in the Distance Learning forum and the Mature Students forum to find other people taking A levels as a private candidate. Also, see this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3973093&page=4
I'm considering taking A-levels as a private candidate. Probably History A (OCR), English Literature A (AQA), Psychology (OCR) and Law (AQA).

I already did my A-levels (in Sociology & Religious Studies) at a sixth-form college and came out with Ds. So, I withdrew from my place to study Philosophy and Sociology at university. If I retake my A-levels I'd like to apply for BA History.

I do have saving with which I could fund the exam fees, centre fees, texts etc - but the whole private candidacy process seems so difficult... Even finding a centre that does the subject you want with your preferred exam board.

But I would rather retake my alevels this way than do an Access to HE course at a college because overall I hated the college experience, and I hated travelling to class (the Access course I looked at would be a train ride + bus ride away, so very far and very pricey).

I guess the point of my reply is, I can't find private candidates anywhere! And the advice is very scarce.
Original post by GloriousFailure
I'm considering taking A-levels as a private candidate. Probably History A (OCR), English Literature A (AQA), Psychology (OCR) and Law (AQA).

I already did my A-levels (in Sociology & Religious Studies) at a sixth-form college and came out with Ds. So, I withdrew from my place to study Philosophy and Sociology at university. If I retake my A-levels I'd like to apply for BA History.

I do have saving with which I could fund the exam fees, centre fees, texts etc - but the whole private candidacy process seems so difficult... Even finding a centre that does the subject you want with your preferred exam board.

But I would rather retake my alevels this way than do an Access to HE course at a college because overall I hated the college experience, and I hated travelling to class (the Access course I looked at would be a train ride + bus ride away, so very far and very pricey).

I guess the point of my reply is, I can't find private candidates anywhere! And the advice is very scarce.

Hey! Yes its hard taking A levels as a private candidate even harder for me as i dont live in the UK and private schools charge a lot. But i think its very do-able if you are sufficiently self motivated and realise that doing them will require no life( social life that is).There is not a lot to it, you just need to buy the textbooks and start studying the coarse content and solve or study/learn the past papers. And when you think that your ready to take the exams then register at a examination center, you should to register with them at least 2 months before the exams so that your place is secure, in order to register you should contact the centers via e-mail/Phone etc. I'm sure there would be schools that would like to help, you just have to find them. Just believe in yourself.
PM me if you want if you have more questions or would like to get in touch.
Cheers!
Original post by Idunno99
Hey! Yes its hard taking A levels as a private candidate even harder for me as i dont live in the UK and private schools charge a lot. But i think its very do-able if you are sufficiently self motivated and realise that doing them will require no life( social life that is).There is not a lot to it, you just need to buy the textbooks and start studying the coarse content and solve or study/learn the past papers. And when you think that your ready to take the exams then register at a examination center, you should to register with them at least 2 months before the exams so that your place is secure, in order to register you should contact the centers via e-mail/Phone etc. I'm sure there would be schools that would like to help, you just have to find them. Just believe in yourself.
PM me if you want if you have more questions or would like to get in touch.
Cheers!

Thank you!

I've been trying since A-level Results Day to ring my local uni to ask for a place on their History course, but honestly I hate phone calls at the best of times, waiting for them to pick up does me in and I hang up before I get an answer. So that's why I'm retaking A-levels instead.
Original post by GloriousFailure
Thank you!

I've been trying since A-level Results Day to ring my local uni to ask for a place on their History course, but honestly I hate phone calls at the best of times, waiting for them to pick up does me in and I hang up before I get an answer. So that's why I'm retaking A-levels instead.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending