Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How does Google determine rankings and how do you get you site listed higher up in a search.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    How does Google determine rankings and how do you get you site listed higher up in a search.
    its based upon many factors,

read about it on t google site

itsnot just on meta tags, or most visitors, its like an addition of many things

ReputationRep:
    Depends on PageRank, which depends on how many websites have links to your website and the PageRank of those websites. There are other factors too but I believe that is the primary one.

As austinmetro said, check the Google website.

ReputationRep:
    i'm always at the top 4!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    i'm always at the top 4!
    What do you want? A medal?

You could make your post useful by giving some advice - how do you get such good results?

ReputationRep:
    You can buy your way to the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    You can buy your way to the top.
    That's the one thing I don't want to do.

ReputationRep:
    It is an equation of over 500 variables, according to google, which include sites that are linked to you, the rank of that site, and how much that site's votes count for.

ReputationRep:
    also how frequent the site is updated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    i'm always at the top 4!
    I searched for hello but I didn't find your site in the top 4... what's going on there? :P

I tend to be in the top one if I search for my site name... And yep. It's all about who links to you. Mainly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoGgEr!)
    I searched for hello but I didn't find your site in the top 4... what's going on there? :P

I tend to be in the top one if I search for my site name... And yep. It's all about who links to you. Mainly.
    yeah, i work for hello magazine :confused: its right at the top.. :P

ReputationRep:
    I am always all of the top 5 when a search is done in my name, but my site can be 3rd, 4th or 5th.

ReputationRep:
    From what i've discovered the most important thing for listing high on a certain word or phrase are to have in in your page title and headings and have other sites with high PR link to you with your keyword in the link text. For a goodiste on this visit www.webmasterworld.com

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... I'm third, searching for my name, but there's another guy with the same name (an "anarchist and free thinker" who has lots of stuff too. And an archived usenet post, for some reason.

Oooh, if I don't shorten my name, I'm top

My other site's top for better searches:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=knoppix+recovery
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kno...dows+hard+disc
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=knoppix+pc+broken

Though, I'm not sure _why_. Possibly the excellent HTML, and hence good content:markup ratio. I challenge you to find 5 or more links to that page (I'm not complaining though! I like it there!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm top just for "Huntroyde"

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.