Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in Year 11 (going into Y12 in September) and I'm thinking of doing the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. I didn't go Silver or Bronze, so I think I'm right in saying it would take 18 months to complete. Is it likely to be worth doing? Is it valued by universities and employers? I don't think I will have finished it before I apply to uni but I could still say that I'm in the process of completing it. Any thoughts?

Any help would be appreciate as I really don't know much about it
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    So I'm in Year 11 (going into Y12 in September) and I'm thinking of doing the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. I didn't go Silver or Bronze, so I think I'm right in saying it would take 18 months to complete. Is it likely to be worth doing? Is it valued by universities and employers? I don't think I will have finished it before I apply to uni but I could still say that I'm in the process of completing it. Any thoughts?

DoE is not desirable for university applications. Universities are looking for applicants who are motivated to study their subject.

Depending what you're applying for then some of the experiences from DoE might be relevant and worth discussing in your PS but the emphasis will be on what you learned from the experience. Whether you get a certificate/medal/award is not relevant.

If you're considering DoE then do it because you think it will be fun or interesting. Not to boost your CV.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Employers like it as something extra; but it's not a substitute for qualifications and stuff.

(Original post by PQ)
    DoE is not desirable for university applications. Universities are looking for applicants who are motivated to study their subject.

Depending what you're applying for then some of the experiences from DoE might be relevant and worth discussing in your PS but the emphasis will be on what you learned from the experience. Whether you get a certificate/medal/award is not relevant.

If you're considering DoE then do it because you think it will be fun or interesting. Not to boost your CV.
    Then how the hell did I get an unconditional?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're up against someone else with identical qualifications, but you have the DofE as well, you'll be better placed to an employer. If nothing else it shows motivation and organisation. Do it for fun, not to improve uni applications.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Employers like it as something extra; but it's not a substitute for qualifications and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your qualifications, your predictions, your PS talking about your subject, your reference.

I'm guessing you didn't apply with nothing but DoE. I doubt your offer letter stated outright "we were so impressed with your DoE we're making an unconditional offer".
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PQ)
    Your qualifications, your predictions, your PS talking about your subject, your reference.

I'm guessing you didn't apply with nothing but DoE. I doubt your offer letter stated outright "we were so impressed with your DoE we're making an unconditional offer".
    No, but the dominant stuff was the extra curricular stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Might help a bit with university applications but to be honest I wouldn't force yourself to do it. I did silver but never actually got the certificate and at no point have I ever been asked to show it ....*

If you don't have any other extra curriculars then it might help but if you already do other stuff then it's up to you, if you think you'll enjoy it go for it.*

ReputationRep:

Forget universities or employers. Don't do it for them. Do it for yourself. It is brilliant. For me, it opened my eyes and was the start of my passion for the great outdoors which has seen me climb Mont Blanc twice and climb on El Capitan in Yosemite.

Do it!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    No, but the dominant stuff was the extra curricular stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So because you got an offer with a EC heavy PS you think this proves universities prefer EC heavy PSs.

Which subject / university was this for. Because unless the OP is only interested in studying that course at that university then your advice is potentially damaging.

For some subjects like maths (and for some universities desperate for students) you could probably submit a PS that was an essay about how you enjoy cutting your toenails and still get an offer - especially if you have the right A levels and predicted grades. For many other subjects and universities a PS that doesn't show a good understanding and motivation for the course applied to (ie one that wastes space discussing the writers hobbies) will get a rejection no matter how good an applicant's predictions.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PQ)
    So because you got an offer with a EC heavy PS you think this proves universities prefer EC heavy PSs.

Which subject / university was this for. Because unless the OP is only interested in studying that course at that university then your advice is potentially damaging.

For some subjects like maths (and for some universities desperate for students) you could probably submit a PS that was an essay about how you enjoy cutting your toenails and still get an offer - especially if you have the right A levels and predicted grades. For many other subjects and universities a PS that doesn't show a good understanding and motivation for the course applied to (ie one that wastes space discussing the writers hobbies) will get a rejection no matter how good an applicant's predictions.
    Computer science at Hull. All I know is what I bashed together in half hour somehow did the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    DOFE gives you ucas points. It also gives you something to talk about on your personal statement (eg confidence).
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    DOFE gives you ucas points. It also gives you something to talk about on your personal statement (eg confidence).
    UCAS points? Never knew that bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    UCAS points? Never knew that bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's true, you enter it into ucas as a qualification. It doesn't give you that many points however.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It's true, you enter it into ucas as a qualification. It doesn't give you that many points however.
    Ohhh, I should've done that then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Computer science at Hull. All I know is what I bashed together in half hour somehow did the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's highly likely your PS wasn't even read I'm afraid. If your subjects and predicted grades were fine then an offer would be based on those. PSs count for some subjects and can count more during confirmation if applicants have missed their offers but they're not deal breakers for many subjects.

DoE does not earn tariff points. It never has and it doesn't meet the criteria to be added in future. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu.../tariff-tables

It's rare/unknown of that a university would be swayed into making an offer or not because an applicant said they had more confidence in their PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's highly likely your PS wasn't even read I'm afraid. If your subjects and predicted grades were fine then an offer would be based on those. PSs count for some subjects and can count more during confirmation if applicants have missed their offers but they're not deal breakers for many subjects.

DoE does not earn tariff points. It never has and it doesn't meet the criteria to be added in future. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu.../tariff-tables

It's rare/unknown of that a university would be swayed into making an offer or not because an applicant said they had more confidence in their PS.
    Lol soz that's what the ucas lady at my college told me
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PQ)

Ohhh OK

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pre-A2 unconditionals are handed out to benefit the university not the applicant.

ReputationRep:

If you want to do it for its own sake, do it. If you are only interested in it as a CV enhancer, don't.

The experience of doing DofE can provide useful fodder for skills/competency based interviews for graduate schemes or jobs later on - but it is not the only way of achieving this, and (especially for Gold) you will need more than "this *might* be adding value to my CV" to cheer you up when you are roughing it on an expedition in the Peak District in a cold/windy/wet March :tongue:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It gives you precisely none.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.