Turn on thread page Beta

I absolutely hate my job but I've got no motivation to look for another... watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I dread going to work everyday. It's gotten to the point I even contemplate calling in sick (even though I feel slightly bad for doing so!). I've often tried to think of excuses to mention when calling up.

I realise this probably paints me out to be a non-team player and horrible worker with a shoddy ethic, but that couldn't be farther from truth.

The environment I work is fast paced, stressful, demanding and managers are constantly screaming at us.

There is a clear hierarchy within the company, as its corporate, however, socially there is a 'pecking order'. Managers are biased toward those in their group, and its very cliquey.

The store manager has a group of maybe 5-6 lower managers that gossip about the work ethics of those lower down. They are incredibly two-faced, and often intermingle with some lower down too, so its 'every man for themselves' on some days. They're all local too, so if your not from the area your an outsider.

Some of the more direct issues I've faced is; gossiping about me, even when I'm in the room. Mostly related to how 'slow I am', and condescending me and making snide remarks and jokes about not wanting to be on shift with me, feeling sorry for xyz colleague because they are working with me.

You know the sort of belligerent and belittling attitude.

Thing is, I only took up the job to pay bills- while i look for something more suitable. I'm a graduate with a degree, and many here don't like/have that. I'm not trying to sound like an ass here- it's just they moan and berate my performance, however, they are not all that bright in thinking I'm oblivious to their bullying.

I may not be the fastest worker, but I have a good level of intelligence to know that they are gossiping and I ain't an idiot.

I could and have thought about following the appropriate channels within the organisation, by going to the People Manager (HR), however, from what I've heard of others before me that did the same- it only backfires- resulting in people getting more unbearable poor treatment and going.

Everyone is mates from the top-down. :/ For what its worth, I'd rather walk away and join the dole queue- or so i feel that way. I've always told myself any job is better than none- but I dunno.

Secondly, I am looking for work and applying but somedays I'm so unmotivated and basically depressed. I wouldn't say its chronic yet. I have a history of issues, but the job is slowly grinding me down. I need to work to pay bills but can no longer stand it.

I've registered with the local doctors surgery, but I'm awaiting a new patients assessment which they've yet to confirm the date.

Short of going to the doctors and getting medication, I am unsure as to what to do. Trying to get a new job is easier said than done- I'm already doing so- what more can be done?

I should mention that to some degree I feel I'm selling myself short by been in this job. I am capable of so much more, but the problem is as much economic as it is personal struggle. I think this contributes to my own lack of self esteem and depression.

ReputationRep:
    start a business, also read alex beckers book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    start a business, also read alex beckers book
    If I lack motivation to find work, I'll surely lack it to start up my own business. I think I may have heard of Alex Becker before.

Have you followed any of his materials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    If I lack motivation to find work, I'll surely lack it to start up my own business. I think I may have heard of Alex Becker before.

Have you followed any of his materials?
    if you lack motivation to work, you may as well stop living, since you wont be able to work for money, which you need to live
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    If you walk out of a job you won't be able to just walk into the job centre and get benefits. That's not what it's for and that's not how it works. The only thing you can do is work there, or work somewhere else. If you hate it there that much, use that as your motivation to get out and get somewhere that isn't as bad. I know what it's like to hate a job and to not want to even turn up some days, but you just have to either push through or find something else. I'd, of course, suggest finding something else. Until you see a doctor, there's not a whole lot you can do other than that. I hope you figure everything out

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I dread going to work everyday. It's gotten to the point I even contemplate calling in sick (even though I feel slightly bad for doing so!). I've often tried to think of excuses to mention when calling up.

I realise this probably paints me out to be a non-team player and horrible worker with a shoddy ethic, but that couldn't be farther from truth.

The environment I work is fast paced, stressful, demanding and managers are constantly screaming at us.

There is a clear hierarchy within the company, as its corporate, however, socially there is a 'pecking order'. Managers are biased toward those in their group, and its very cliquey.

The store manager has a group of maybe 5-6 lower managers that gossip about the work ethics of those lower down. They are incredibly two-faced, and often intermingle with some lower down too, so its 'every man for themselves' on some days. They're all local too, so if your not from the area your an outsider.

Some of the more direct issues I've faced is; gossiping about me, even when I'm in the room. Mostly related to how 'slow I am', and condescending me and making snide remarks and jokes about not wanting to be on shift with me, feeling sorry for xyz colleague because they are working with me.

Thing is, I only took up the job to pay bills- while i look for something more suitable. I'm a graduate with a degree, and many here don't like/have that. I'm not trying to sound like an ass here- it's just they moan and berate my performance, however, they are not all that bright in thinking I'm oblivious to their bullying.

I may not be the fastest worker, but I have a good level of intelligence to know that they are gossiping and I ain't an idiot.

I could and have thought about following the appropriate channels within the organisation, by going to the People Manager (HR), however, from what I've heard of others before me that did the same- it only backfires- resulting in people getting more unbearable poor treatment and going.

Everyone is mates from the top-down. :/ For what its worth, I'd rather walk away and join the dole queue- or so i feel that way. I've always told myself any job is better than none- but I dunno.

Secondly, I am looking for work and applying but somedays I'm so unmotivated and basically depressed. I wouldn't say its chronic yet. I have a history of issues, but the job is slowly grinding me down. I need to work to pay bills but can no longer stand it.

I've registered with the local doctors surgery, but I'm awaiting a new patients assessment which they've yet to confirm the date.

Short of going to the doctors and getting medication, I am unsure as to what to do. Trying to get a new job is easier said than done- I'm already doing so- what more can be done?

I should mention that to some degree I feel I'm selling myself short by been in this job. I am capable of so much more, but the problem is as much economic as it is personal struggle. I think this contributes to my own lack of self esteem and depression.

Hi OP

Firstly don't worry and be happy . See your doctor regarding your illness even if it seems silly something small can become really big. We do not know your financial status so I do not know whether you should quit or not. Take some time out or not. I would recommend looking at some graduate schemes and other jobs. Let this moment of sadness be your motivation to strive for better. As for them gossiping about you don't take note, try stand up for yourself and maybe even leave a snide remark like thats how us degree holders are like :P.

Goodluck OP pm if you need to talk

ReputationRep:
    Well if you want a bit of excitement and a new start, go into the Royal Navy or something. There is a pecking order of course but you're all comrades looking out for one another. Office jobs are just naff, there isn't any getting around that unfortunately. Either live with that or try to break off and do something new. Don't go on the dole. That's morally degrading and you'll feel even more worthless, more akin to feeling like a parasite and nobody wants to feel that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Well if you want a bit of excitement and a new start, go into the Royal Navy or something. There is a pecking order of course but you're all comrades looking out for one another. Office jobs are just naff, there isn't any getting around that unfortunately. Either live with that or try to break off and do something new. Don't go on the dole. That's morally degrading and you'll feel even more worthless, more akin to feeling like a parasite and nobody wants to feel that way
    Thank you for your suggestions.

I considered the armed forces many years ago as a teen during secondary school. The reason I didn't take them forward was because I have a disability that affects my physical mobility. I even went for a meeting at the armed forces office and was told by army officials that I'd have a hard time passing the medical physical exam. I assume its the same for the Navy also.

I wish I knew what it was I wanted to do. After years of study and having got my degree, I'm left feeling empty and unsure. I still like my industry I trained for, however, I feel like its far too competitive and my work just isn't good enough.

There are aspects of my field I don't like and that put me off, but the precise reason I like it is because I'm inventive and have bouts where I get ideas for things. I just never follow them through because I either lack the contacts or knowledge.

I agree. I feel like the world is one big trap really. You either have the skills employers want, in which case your guaranteed a job (particularly if your trained in medical sciences, engineering or stem)- or you have skills which aren't in demand, and so forced to break off and do something new like "start-ups", however, its likely you'll fail without the backing or knowledge.

Your basically then left with the dross of minimum wage jobs, office jobs, catering and fast food work- which is in every sense of the word "degrading". I imagine the dole isn't pleasant but what difference is there between the two?

I'll unlikely join the dole queue- however, I will keep applying for other work.

I know how you are feeling :hugs:. I was treated pretty much the same as you as a temp
    in a supermarket. People complained about how slow I was. I was feeling really down because it has taken me so long to find this job and not to mention that I was suffering from anxiety and panic disorder and wasn't on any type of medication and have never been to a Doctor.
    The staff there were all unfriendly and unwelcoming and 2 of them bullied me. They kept on going about how long it has taken me to pack items even though I wasn't given training and it was my first time ever to work in a Supermarket.
    Some workplaces can be toxic and some of the people there can be so rude. If you was really slow as they are claiming why can't your manager sit you down in a meeting room somewhere and tell you how you could improve.
    They are probably threatened by you, and feel in there small mind that it is a good idea to bring you down because really there isn't any other explanation for such nasty behavior by grown adults.
    In my opinion, as a new comer to a workplace, you are trying to familiarize yourself to the working environment and as long as you put your head down and work really hard and ignore all the drama queens then obviously you will easily outperform them. And that's what they don't like, unfortunately it's adults acting worser than school kids they must be so insecure and bored with their lives that they think it's a good idea to pick on someone in their workplace no wonder they haven't risen up the ladder in their careers.

Back to my story, I have decided to leave that place as clearly they were horrible toxic people because as someone who is suffering from both anxiety and panic attacks I was battling my own illnesses and didn't have time for people who were nasty to me as I was being brave to actually come out and take this job despite my illness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know how you are feeling :hugs:. I was treated pretty much the same as you as a temp
    in a supermarket. People complained about how slow I was. I was feeling really down because it has taken me so long to find this job and not to mention that I was suffering from anxiety and panic disorder and wasn't on any type of medication and have never been to a Doctor.
    The staff there were all unfriendly and unwelcoming and 2 of them bullied me. They kept on going about how long it has taken me to pack items even though I wasn't given training and it was my first time ever to work in a Supermarket.
    Some workplaces can be toxic and some of the people there can be so rude. If you was really slow as they are claiming why can't your manager sit you down in a meeting room somewhere and tell you how you could improve.
    They are probably threatened by you, and feel in there small mind that it is a good idea to bring you down because really there isn't any other explanation for such nasty behavior by grown adults.
    In my opinion, as a new comer to a workplace, you are trying to familiarize yourself to the working environment and as long as you put your head down and work really hard and ignore all the drama queens then obviously you will easily outperform them. And that's what they don't like, unfortunately it's adults acting worser than school kids they must be so insecure and bored with their lives that they think it's a good idea to pick on someone in their workplace no wonder they haven't risen up the ladder in their careers.

Back to my story, I have decided to leave that place as clearly they were horrible toxic people because as someone who is suffering from both anxiety and panic attacks I was battling my own illnesses and didn't have time for people who were nasty to me as I was being brave to actually come out and take this job despite my illness
    Sounds like a horrific ordeal. Thing is, I've been through this exact situation in my last job, hoping that things might be different this time around. Unfortunately I was wrong and similar tactics are used in my current workplace. It's just sill really, and makes me want to get signed off ill. But I know that most employers always find a way around that, either cut your hours right down until you leave, or, fire you if your off sick for long enough and it warrants them to do so.

Your always the bad one in today's climate, so long as the employer is losing money or your not performing 'adequately' or jumping through hoops, then your just a worthless piece of meat to them.

I think the creation of zero hour contracts has a lot to do with these S***** jobs that have been created. All the same, full of uneducated idiots that bully and patronise those they perceive to be beneath them.

All that aside, what is your next step??

ReputationRep:

Wow, what a brilliant thread because i think your describing how most people feel about their jobs and being bullied / gossiped about in the work place and feeling depressed and having no motivation to find a new job.
    Type employment agencies and the area you live on google then a list of agencies will come up and you write them all down or print them out and ring them all. I did that this morning to help my friend as the idiot took a job emptying envelopes with a **** agency that only pay £200 a week but she only been working there 2 weeks and now there's no more work and so she will be going to sign back on at the job centre this Monday so i just typed employment agencies Wood Green and i could not believe how many agencies there are in that one area. I text her 6 with the address and phone number to ring Monday instead of going back to the job centre because all she has to do is try different and better agencies, but i sent her the list by email so you can email the long list of agencies to yourself too.
    She chose to join a **** agency that only gets people jobs in warehouses and filling envelopes so if you want a good job only choose agencies that get you office, admin, reception, retail work, avoid agencies that get you warehouse and envelope filling jobs.
    She only took the job because she was fed up of the job centre sending her on 2 week employability courses that start 9 30am to 4 30pm because they were sending her to these courses every month and everytime she wanted to apply for retail jobs she had to do these courses for every job she applied for and still was not chosen to go for interviews so she just joined an agency but she did not join a good one.
    The best agencies are the ones that find you office or retail jobs.

It's not easy trying to get a job yourself so just go to the high street where you live and sign up with a few because they do all the work for you of searching for a job so you don't have to do anything but once you signed up you must ring them once a week to find out if they found you a job, don't just leave it to them to ring you because they have a lot of clients so probably forget to contact people and this is why most people get fed up of them and give up on them and stop using them.
    I don't know what the best jobs are but I think Trainee Recruitment Consultants, and Trainee Estate Agent jobs are good and you can make good money and they love graduates.
    I apply online Reed, CV Library, Indeed, Monster, etc but while applying online it's easier to get jobs through an agency on the street.
    I applied online on Reed website for a job as a Trainee Mortgage Advisor and I received a call from Foxton's estage agents, after speaking to them he said he will pass my cv to his manager. I thought I would never hear from them again because I have no experience in that and i don't have a degree and i only applied for the job because even though i'm not confident in doing that job or recruitment i just belive in taking chances by applying only for good jobs like in estate agents, Trainee recruitment, Admin, Reeception jobs not call centre's or retail because all those jobs offere good money, long term career, good job prospects but my friend who has no confidence either uses that as an excuse not to apply for those jobs and prefers to apply for **** jobs with crap pay like envelope filling / emptying and that is why she will never succeed in getting a good, long term career.
    Type Foxton's estate agents and it will show all the different one's in the area.
    They are looking to train lots of people and they love graduates or even if you have no qualifications they will give people a chance so any one on this forum looking for a job should do all these things i suggest

Sounds like a horrific ordeal. Thing is, I've been through this exact situation in my last job, hoping that things might be different this time around. Unfortunately I was wrong and similar tactics are used in my current workplace. It's just sill really, and makes me want to get signed off ill. But I know that most employers always find a way around that, either cut your hours right down until you leave, or, fire you if your off sick for long enough and it warrants them to do so.

Your always the bad one in today's climate, so long as the employer is losing money or your not performing 'adequately' or jumping through hoops, then your just a worthless piece of meat to them.

I think the creation of zero hour contracts has a lot to do with these S***** jobs that have been created. All the same, full of uneducated idiots that bully and patronise those they perceive to be beneath them.

All that aside, what is your next step??
    At the moment, I'm looking to make an appointment at my GP surgery as I need to deal with my anxiety and panic disorder before anything else. But I know that they'll just give me medication and tell me to come back in a few months time.
    Anxiety and panic disorders are both serious illnesses enough to make it hard for someone to work but the NHS doesn't see it as a serious illness.

As for low end jobs, you are right it's full of bullies the loud types that never bothered to do well at school. They seem to get a kick out of putting others down even if they are like 40+ years old they still think they are in a school playground not at work. It's ridiculous as I'll never associate with these types of people outside work, but you are there with them for hours just trying to work hard and get paid but they are so sad as they want power over someone in their sad pathetic lives.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that you are in this situation, which is unfortunately common.

Do get medical advice, as has been suggested, but of course use your head and don't go down a path that doesn't seem right. Some GPs are well-meaning but not experienced enough, or simply overrun with appointments, to give you, unique person that you are, the right advice.

It's important to have some sort of plan to move forward, however modest. Could you keep your head down in the existing job for some more months in order to save some cash? If so, that could build a cushion for you to be unemployed and figure out your next career move.

Another thing to consider, in the short term till you are out of there, is to have a plan to minimise the negatives each day at work. Identify the biggest specific common stressors and brainstorm things you can do, however minor, that could help even a little. This is very individual, so it's difficult to give examples that will work for you. For one person, just having a picture of a loved one, or an experience to look forward to (eg a holiday), could be just enough of a emotional booster to take the edge off something unpleasant at work. For another, it could be actual phrases or actions that they intend to use with co-workers they find difficult.

Do hold on to the thought that this experience will not last for ever and, however it turns out, it doesn't define you or your worth as a worker. Also factor in that if you are suffering from anxiety then you may be inclined to quit an unpleasant situation prematurely and so you could see deciding to remain in it as training in resilience- as long as you have an end-date in mind.

Wishing you well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    If you walk out of a job you won't be able to just walk into the job centre and get benefits. That's not what it's for and that's not how it works. The only thing you can do is work there, or work somewhere else. If you hate it there that much, use that as your motivation to get out and get somewhere that isn't as bad. I know what it's like to hate a job and to not want to even turn up some days, but you just have to either push through or find something else. I'd, of course, suggest finding something else. Until you see a doctor, there's not a whole lot you can do other than that. I hope you figure everything out
    Regarding your first 2 sentences - that isn't true. I've walked out of 2 jobs in my life and I've been able to claim JSA. How? With one, I went to my GP in advance of quitting and told them the effect of my work on my health. If you have evidence and don't just walk out without thinking then it can be done and it should be done if it is seriously affecting you. It's also possible if your employer is putting excessive demands on you or breaking the law in any way - one of my employers did that and I walked out without seeing my GP at all and then I was asked to fill out a rather long form at the job centre regarding my reasons for leaving. They make it very very difficult to claim benefit if you "voluntarily" leave work - but it's definitely not impossible and you can argue your case.

That being said - it's far easier find work whilst you're in work. But it's a case of weighing up pros and cons and if it's worth subjecting yourself to a job that is affecting you so much. You're ultimately the judge of how badly it's affecting you.

I'm now in a job I love and personally I've learned that life is too short to be miserable and you - if you can - should walk away from anything that fills you with dread in the morning. That's no way to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by KatieBlogger)
    Regarding your first 2 sentences - that isn't true. I've walked out of 2 jobs in my life and I've been able to claim JSA. How? With one, I went to my GP in advance of quitting and told them the effect of my work on my health. If you have evidence and don't just walk out without thinking then it can be done and it should be done if it is seriously affecting you. It's also possible if your employer is putting excessive demands on you or breaking the law in any way - one of my employers did that and I walked out without seeing my GP at all and then I was asked to fill out a rather long form at the job centre regarding my reasons for leaving. They make it very very difficult to claim benefit if you "voluntarily" leave work - but it's definitely not impossible and you can argue your case.

That being said - it's far easier find work whilst you're in work. But it's a case of weighing up pros and cons and if it's worth subjecting yourself to a job that is affecting you so much. You're ultimately the judge of how badly it's affecting you.

I'm now in a job I love and personally I've learned that life is too short to be miserable and you - if you can - should walk away from anything that fills you with dread in the morning. That's no way to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right now though, the OP isn't able to walk into his doctor's surgery and get that. Also, Universal Credit is now being rolled out more and more and is being used instead of Job Seekers and it's slightly different. Their employer isn't the one causing the issues, it's the other employees. If they refuse to go to HR to try and sort it before leaving, then UC could well turn around and say they aren't eligible because they did just walk out voluntarily. It's not something you'd want to really risk on a possibility. I've left a job and gone onto UC, but that was because my employer refused to stick to the contract and it in term forced me out of the job due to it being impossible due to health issues that they already knew about, and this was after HR had been involved. This was why it was okay. If I'd just got up and left because I didn't like how I had issues with my co-workers and other employees, I wouldn't have been given the benefit of the doubt. This is something that my work coach has explicitly said to me and a group of other UC claimants in a recent group session. It doesn't seem like the employer is making unreasonable demands either, so it seems really quite risky to assume they could get JSA/UC.

I do agree that life is too short, but life is also too short to struggle below the breadline. I've been homeless and I've lived in poverty. I grew up with my family not being able to afford to bills, or food for the whole month. I've known what it's like to not be able to get to a job interview because you can't afford petrol or a bus fare, and it's 15 miles away and there's no one to take you. The safe current options are to stay, or leave for another job. Maybe they can find another similar job, at least for now, until they can find something more suitable to their skills but just walking out should really be a last ditch option.

ReputationRep:

What is the job you are doing ?
    I'm continuing from where i left it before because my reply was going to be too long so i had to break it down
    Most People get bullied and treated like **** in the army, i don't know about the navy though.
    But watch a documentary called Deep cut or Deep throat, i can't remember which one it's called but type the name on You Tube see if it cones up on there.
    It was a horrible story of bullying, etc but it does'nt mean everyone has a bad experience there, it was just interesting to know this happens and not to keep quiet about it.
    Anyway back to Foxton's i could not believe it when they called me back a second time on Friday but it was on my answer machine so i did not ring until a few hours later but i left a messsage on their answer machine as no one picked up the phone so i will wait until Monday but i am not sure if i want to do it because i was accepted to go to college to study music. But i just wish i had known about estate agent and Trainee recruitment jobs and not needing experience to apply by for them years ago instead of taking crap jobs like retail, picker/packer and waitress in a hotel. I used to work in Admin and Reception years ago but i just did silly things by applying for retail and other crap jobs instead of only concentrating on Admin jobs and i gave up on agencies years ago too.
    But when i really wanted a job years ago i could not get them even in retail but now all these good companies have started to contact me just when i decided i want to go back to college. It's really annoying
    But if anyone hates estate agents and thinks they would hate that job there's no harm applying for it to see if they would like it or even marketing jobs need no experience. Retail jobs are only good if someone wants a part time job while still at uni, college to fit in with those hours but it should not be a long term career if you have a degree so you should just go to an agency on the high street to let them find you a good job.

In 2013 I worked as a picker/packer in the Asda warehouse for 9 months but i was still applying for jobs and had one interview in a jewellry shop arranged for me by a colleague at Asda who was friends with the manager but i did not get the job.
    But it was so hard trying to get a job while i was there but i forgot to go to an agency. I hated the job and dreaded going in and it made me depressed because the manager was a bully and would taunt me every day that if i left she will tell the job centre i said i wanted to leave then the job centre wont pay me so she kept me there longer than normal so she could carry on taunting me so i was too scared to leave but eventually i could'nt cope and just left and did not care if i got into trouble at the job centre but i did not get into trouble.
    I wish i had secretly recorded the bully manager on my phone and uploaded it to You Tube but i did not think of it back then but you should secretly record managers and employees behaviour and so should anybody else who is experiencing bullying at school, college or in the work place.

But i wish i had told the senior manager of Asda because he would be very angry she kept me there longer. I was slow at picking but the machine that counts how fast we are is not always accurate and other people who are faster would get a slow reading too and would be upset by their results but everyone did have monthly meetings to find out why we are slow but all your managers were horrendous at least only 1 or 2 managers where i worked were bullies and not all of them and they would have put a stop to any kind of bullying if i or anybody else had told them about it. As one manager asked if i liked the job and had any problems but i did not tell her the full truth only a tiny bit about the bully manager but i did not mention the taunting but she did have a word with her to stop but she knew nothing about what was really going on or she would have stopped her taunting me too but when i left that's when i wrote a letter about her bullying everybody so when you leave at least write to a senior manager or the owner or founder of the company about what is going on. Because of my horrible manager that made me slower and i would take time off to go to interviews and look for other jobs but other work colleagues would always complain how much they hate the job and want to leave but they were too lazy and stupid to apply for other jobs. I would tell them all about the jobs i apply for and had interviews for and they would ask for the contact details.
    Some of them had degrees too but too stupid to try to get a better job and thought they were lucky to get the job while i always belived i was unlucky to get it and that i was better than that job.
    I Applied for lots of different jobs while they did nothing or did not try hard to get other jobs but they would have got a better job if they had gone to an agency
    I can't belive all the **** jobs i have done but if i had just stuck to gojng to different agencies i would be in a good job now and have a long career so that's why i try to warn other people to just go to an agency, it's so easy and it takes the stress out of searching for jobs themelves.

Right now though, the OP isn't able to walk into his doctor's surgery and get that. Also, Universal Credit is now being rolled out more and more and is being used instead of Job Seekers and it's slightly different. Their employer isn't the one causing the issues, it's the other employees. If they refuse to go to HR to try and sort it before leaving, then UC could well turn around and say they aren't eligible because they did just walk out voluntarily. It's not something you'd want to really risk on a possibility. I've left a job and gone onto UC, but that was because my employer refused to stick to the contract and it in term forced me out of the job due to it being impossible due to health issues that they already knew about, and this was after HR had been involved. This was why it was okay. If I'd just got up and left because I didn't like how I had issues with my co-workers and other employees, I wouldn't have been given the benefit of the doubt. This is something that my work coach has explicitly said to me and a group of other UC claimants in a recent group session. It doesn't seem like the employer is making unreasonable demands either, so it seems really quite risky to assume they could get JSA/UC.

I do agree that life is too short, but life is also too short to struggle below the breadline. I've been homeless and I've lived in poverty. I grew up with my family not being able to afford to bills, or food for the whole month. I've known what it's like to not be able to get to a job interview because you can't afford petrol or a bus fare, and it's 15 miles away and there's no one to take you. The safe current options are to stay, or leave for another job. Maybe they can find another similar job, at least for now, until they can find something more suitable to their skills but just walking out should really be a last ditch option.
    Yes but if he is suffering from anxiety and other mental health issues then he can go to his Doctor and tell them that he is stressed and then they could give him a sick note

(Original post by Judge Judy)
    What is the job you are doing ?
    I'm continuing from where i left it before because my reply was going to be too long so i had to break it down
    Most People get bullied and treated like **** in the army, i don't know about the navy though.
    But watch a documentary called Deep cut or Deep throat, i can't remember which one it's called but type the name on You Tube see if it cones up on there.
    It was a horrible story of bullying, etc but it does'nt mean everyone has a bad experience there, it was just interesting to know this happens and not to keep quiet about it.
    Anyway back to Foxton's i could not believe it when they called me back a second time on Friday but it was on my answer machine so i did not ring until a few hours later but i left a messsage on their answer machine as no one picked up the phone so i will wait until Monday but i am not sure if i want to do it because i was accepted to go to college to study music. But i just wish i had known about estate agent and Trainee recruitment jobs and not needing experience to apply by for them years ago instead of taking crap jobs like retail, picker/packer and waitress in a hotel. I used to work in Admin and Reception years ago but i just did silly things by applying for retail and other crap jobs instead of only concentrating on Admin jobs and i gave up on agencies years ago too.
    But when i really wanted a job years ago i could not get them even in retail but now all these good companies have started to contact me just when i decided i want to go back to college. It's really annoying
    But if anyone hates estate agents and thinks they would hate that job there's no harm applying for it to see if they would like it or even marketing jobs need no experience. Retail jobs are only good if someone wants a part time job while still at uni, college to fit in with those hours but it should not be a long term career if you have a degree so you should just go to an agency on the high street to let them find you a good job.

In 2013 I worked as a picker/packer in the Asda warehouse for 9 months but i was still applying for jobs and had one interview in a jewellry shop arranged for me by a colleague at Asda who was friends with the manager but i did not get the job.
    But it was so hard trying to get a job while i was there but i forgot to go to an agency. I hated the job and dreaded going in and it made me depressed because the manager was a bully and would taunt me every day that if i left she will tell the job centre i said i wanted to leave then the job centre wont pay me so she kept me there longer than normal so she could carry on taunting me so i was too scared to leave but eventually i could'nt cope and just left and did not care if i got into trouble at the job centre but i did not get into trouble.
    I wish i had secretly recorded the bully manager on my phone and uploaded it to You Tube but i did not think of it back then but you should secretly record managers and employees behaviour and so should anybody else who is experiencing bullying at school, college or in the work place.

But i wish i had told the senior manager of Asda because he would be very angry she kept me there longer. I was slow at picking but the machine that counts how fast we are is not always accurate and other people who are faster would get a slow reading too and would be upset by their results but everyone did have monthly meetings to find out why we are slow but all your managers were horrendous at least only 1 or 2 managers where i worked were bullies and not all of them and they would have put a stop to any kind of bullying if i or anybody else had told them about it. As one manager asked if i liked the job and had any problems but i did not tell her the full truth only a tiny bit about the bully manager but i did not mention the taunting but she did have a word with her to stop but she knew nothing about what was really going on or she would have stopped her taunting me too but when i left that's when i wrote a letter about her bullying everybody so when you leave at least write to a senior manager or the owner or founder of the company about what is going on. Because of my horrible manager that made me slower and i would take time off to go to interviews and look for other jobs but other work colleagues would always complain how much they hate the job and want to leave but they were too lazy and stupid to apply for other jobs. I would tell them all about the jobs i apply for and had interviews for and they would ask for the contact details.
    Some of them had degrees too but too stupid to try to get a better job and thought they were lucky to get the job while i always belived i was unlucky to get it and that i was better than that job.
    I Applied for lots of different jobs while they did nothing or did not try hard to get other jobs but they would have got a better job if they had gone to an agency
    I can't belive all the **** jobs i have done but if i had just stuck to gojng to different agencies i would be in a good job now and have a long career so that's why i try to warn other people to just go to an agency, it's so easy and it takes the stress out of searching for jobs themelves.
    I would really like to work in a warehouse because you get minimal contact with customers and as someone who has anxiety I find that I work best when left alone in a warehouse maybe picking items and packing them. However, every warehouse jobs that are advertised go through agencies and I have sent live 100s of CVs to them but they just get ignored. Agencies in my opnion are so bad they don't bother to reply to application forms.

Yes but if he is suffering from anxiety and other mental health issues then he can go to his Doctor and tell them that he is stressed and then they could give him a sick note
    Could, not will. Also, because it's not an emergency, they'll probably try and have him attend his new patients assessment first.

ReputationRep:
    If people are trying to bring you down it is because you are above them

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.