Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I've taken 10 driving lessons and it's been fine but I started to drive around in my parents car and everything is going wrong.

Today I couldn't move off at all.
    I have been taught and have always moved off (after stopping) with the CLUTCH in biting point only during driving lessons. So if I want to stop I brake slowly, clutch down and stop. then lift the clutch up(brake still on) until the engine is revved slightly and then I'm off brake, clutch slowly up and then I go to accelerator. That is how I've done it in my instructors car.

My parent's car tends to want to die more quickly but to make it worse my parents have said the car will not move unless you press the accelerator along with the clutch to biting point and then you slowly bring the clutch up and the accelerator down. I just can't seem to do it.

I tried a hill start and I couldn't do it either. My parent said you have to press clutch along with accelerator to biting point and then release the handbreak to move off but when I was with my instructor I do not think I even pressed the Accelerator at all to move off a steep hill(she does not have accelerator pedal).

Can someone please shed some light! I feel so stupid for holding so many cars up because I couldn't move off for 5mins.

Thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ohlordt)
    Hi
    I've taken 10 driving lessons and it's been fine but I started to drive around in my parents car and everything is going wrong.

Today I couldn't move off at all.
    I have been taught and have always moved off (after stopping) with the CLUTCH in biting point only during driving lessons. So if I want to stop I brake slowly, clutch down and stop. then lift the clutch up(brake still on) until the engine is revved slightly and then I'm off brake, clutch slowly up and then I go to accelerator. That is how I've done it in my instructors car.

My parent's car tends to want to die more quickly but to make it worse my parents have said the car will not move unless you press the accelerator along with the clutch to biting point and then you slowly bring the clutch up and the accelerator down. I just can't seem to do it.

I tried a hill start and I couldn't do it either. My parent said you have to press clutch along with accelerator to biting point and then release the handbreak to move off but when I was with my instructor I do not think I even pressed the Accelerator at all to move off a steep hill(she does not have accelerator pedal).

Can someone please shed some light! I feel so stupid for holding so many cars up because I couldn't move off for 5mins.

Thank you
    All cars are different. Someone will come on and tell you that you can't move off in a petrol car without using the accelerator - this is true for many cars, but not all of them. But your parents might own a car where this is true.

If you feel you're holding other cars up then find a quieter time to practise, or find quieter roads. But you just need to practise. You already know what you need to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    All cars are different. Someone will come on and tell you that you can't move off in a petrol car without using the accelerator - this is true for many cars, but not all of them. But your parents might own a car where this is true.

If you feel you're holding other cars up then find a quieter time to practise, or find quieter roads. But you just need to practise. You already know what you need to do.
    Thanks
    After I posted I practised and I think I get the hang of it both cars now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.