Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

reading festival watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    Ah right thank you! I'm new to this festival malarkey - what do you recommend taking with you? Is if safe to leave non-valuables in your tent during the day? Are the toilets really as bad as rumoured? And how muddy/smelly does everyone get?

I know, I know, I'm such a girl .
    the actual toilets werent that bad - just being in the queue for them was!
    now ladies, you should know what i mean when i say the "bins" contents was littered all along the queue for all to see - bit rank really!! should be a health and safety issue as well :eek:

was fantastic fun though!!

ReputationRep:
    Toilets are bad. At V last year I went into the portacabin and somehow there was a **** on the wall? How is this possible? I found at night a secluded place on the edge of the camp site from then on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    nah seriosuly...i went to a toilet at glasto at 3 in the morning, and it had poo piled up all around the seat - nothing can ever compare to that and since then ive learnt not to go at night time.
    reading was really clean when i went! maybe its cus its a girls toilet??
    Hmm, maybe..its ok for us lads cuz we can just go to the bushes, but for anything more hardcore we have to take the trek into town and use the pizza hut toilets

ReputationRep:
    the toilets in the leeds campsite weren't so bad last year. they stunk, but they weren't dirty, since all the crap just went into a huge hole in the ground. just don't camp near them.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be at reading this year
    Working for Oxfam at the festival with a mate so it should be good fun.

ReputationRep:
    Im not going . I have to work!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    Im not going . I have to work!!
    Pretend to be ill :rolleyes:

I'm going though

I've only been to V and Download before though. Just use the toilets in the arena first thing or any toilets just after they've been cleaned.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If they have any toilets that aren't portaloos use em - portaloos fill up much much quicker than the mobile longdrops that they've started using in leeds (and possibly reading too)...longdrops are the way to go.

It's also worth perfecting peeing in a bottle (it's possible even for us girls) in your tent.

Mark your camping stuff (bedroll/sleepingbag tent etc) with your postcode and initials that way if it gets nicked you're more likely to get it back.

ReputationRep:
    nah seriosuly...i went to a toilet at glasto at 3 in the morning, and it had poo piled up all around the seat - nothing can ever compare to that and since then ive learnt not to go at night time.
    reading was really clean when i went! maybe its cus its a girls toilet??
    I'm going to Reading! woo! I'm also going to V the weekend before, so it's gonna be a fab end to my August! lol

Good Reading toilet hint: Wait around until the toilets have been cleaned, then nip in there straight after... sure it stinks like feck whilst they're doing the cleaning (my god do I feel sorry for the poor sods who've got that job) but once they're done you get a fresh, disinfected, not-as-smelly portaloo.

Still, take plenty of anti-bac wet wipes and a whole heap of toilet roll anyway.

<am SO exited about August!!>

ReputationRep:
    I'm going.

I just realised i'll be on holiday when my tickets arrive. If they get sent back to Mean Fiddler (royal mail have some stupid policy) then i'll cry forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonas123)
    I'm going.

I just realised i'll be on holiday when my tickets arrive. If they get sent back to Mean Fiddler (royal mail have some stupid policy) then i'll cry forever.
    nah youll be fiinneee - mine where just posted through the door

ReputationRep:
    nah youll be fiinneee - mine where just posted through the door
    where did you order them from?! All the tickets i've ever ordered always come special delivery and have to be signed for

ReputationRep:
    I'm going, my first ever festival. Everyone should make sure they check out DJ Format & MC Abdominal (old-school hip-hop) who'll be in the Dance Tent on Friday at Reading.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify the toilet issue, the ones in the arena are great. Go in the corner to the left of the Main Stage as far back as possible and they should be OK, this even worked on Sunday last year.
    Just avoid the campsite ones.

Also, Reading seems to have given me the worst clash in the history of time by putting Har Mar and Flogging Molly simultaneously. I'm so upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnight)
    where did you order them from?! All the tickets i've ever ordered always come special delivery and have to be signed for
    last year I ordered them from aloud.com - my galstonbury ones had to be signed and my reading didnt. I wasn't even in for my glasto ones, but the post office kept hold of them for me so I just got them there
    (Original post by ben3085)
    I'm going, my first ever festival. Everyone should make sure they check out DJ Format & MC Abdominal (old-school hip-hop) who'll be in the Dance Tent on Friday at Reading.
    DJ format is gonna be great! as is Roots Manuva - why must he clash with the Darkness - why god why!!!

ReputationRep:
    DJ format is gonna be great! as is Roots Manuva - why must he clash with the Darkness - why god why!!!
    Who clashes with the Darkness and how do you know times, etc.? Thats going to be a right *****..... but I think I'd go for non-Darkness on both counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    Who clashes with the Darkness and how do you know times, etc.? Thats going to be a right *****..... but I think I'd go for non-Darkness on both counts.
    Just look at who's headlining each stage. This doesn't always work (eg Radio 1 Friday in 2002), but it usually does.

ReputationRep:
    On the issue of valuable I always go by the philosophy that I don't take anything I would miss. For instance instead of taking my normally watch, I took a cheap £20 one, which would probable break after 3 days anyway.

ReputationRep:
    last year I ordered them from aloud.com - my galstonbury ones had to be signed and my reading didnt. I wasn't even in for my glasto ones, but the post office kept hold of them for me so I just got them there
    Oh thats ok then, I just thought the post office would only hold them for a few days before 'return to sender' takes effect.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.