Turn on thread page Beta

Why should we respect people that are wrong? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've lost count of the times people in particular brexiters have told people like me (20s, graduate with a middle class background) not to sneer at those who voted for brexit even if they had ludicrous views e.g on the bus today a woman was saying she voted to leave because there were too many Russians.

Now, this is by about brexiters or remainders- plenty of people on both sides voted for stupid reasons - eg voting to remain purely because only racists would vote leave. Why should we treat people with such ridiculous views with respect?

The majority of them are not going to change their views with reasoned conversation.

The brexiters argue that it's because:

1: the will of the people, in which case:

52% is not a huge mandate, possibly the only truthful thing Boris has said recently. Just because 2% more of the population voted for it doesn't mean the 48% are wrong. Just like if labour lose the next election it would not be undemocratic (far from it) labour continued to oppose the Tory government. at a general election it would be reasonable to campaign on not triggering article 50/ rejoining the EU.

2: these people are the left behind.

Aw diddums, my life sucks so I get to ignore reality and have my nonsensical views taken seriously. It's actually contemptuous of these people to pander , even to accept their ignorance and demanding their views are represented when knowing full well that they are talking gibberish. There is a difference between everyone's voice getting heard and everyone's voice being treated the same:

Eg a fifty year old business director voting for brexit because of a well grounded list of EU regulations stopping his company making a profit should carry more weight than a eighteen year old cultural studies student who thinks that UKIP is worse than Isis.

ReputationRep:
    Because... too many cucks.

ReputationRep:
    It's the inalienable right of every person to be as thick as they like.

And why should they respect you? What gives you divine right to be correct?

Everybody's treated the same, that's how the system works.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I've lost count of the times people in particular brexiters have told people like me (20s, graduate with a middle class background) not to sneer at those who voted for brexit even if they had ludicrous views e.g on the bus today a woman was saying she voted to leave because there were too many Russians.

Now, this is by about brexiters or remainders- plenty of people on both sides voted for stupid reasons - eg voting to remain purely because only racists would vote leave. Why should we treat people with such ridiculous views with respect?

The majority of them are not going to change their views with reasoned conversation.

52% is not a huge mandate, possibly the only truthful thing Boris has said recently. Just because 2% more of the population voted for it doesn't mean the 48% are wrong. Just like if labour lose the next election it would not be undemocratic (far from it) labour continued to oppose the Tory government. at a general election it would be reasonable to campaign on not triggering article 50/ rejoining the EU.

Aw diddums, my life sucks so I get to ignore reality and have my nonsensical views taken seriously. It's actually contemptuous of these people to pander , even to accept their ignorance and demanding their views are represented when knowing full well that they are talking gibberish. There is a difference between everyone's voice getting heard and everyone's voice being treated the same:

Eg a fifty year old business director voting for brexit because of a well grounded list of EU regulations stopping his company making a profit should carry more weight than a eighteen year old cultural studies student who thinks that UKIP is worse than Isis.
    BRUUUUHHHHHHHHH quit crying. Brexit has happened and it's over. Get your shoes and start walking SMH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReader)
    Because... too many cucks.
    The alt right are going to be so butt hurt when brexit leads to higher migration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamoody)
    BRUUUUHHHHHHHHH quit crying. Brexit has happened and it's over. Get your shoes and start walking SMH
    I'm not crying, in fact I'm relatively cheerful for reasons I've posted elsewhere.

But in any case, why should I accept it and view it as right?

If you genuinely believed the EU was a dictatorship if think even less if you if you stopped opposing it because 2% hell, even if 99% of the population think otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that if you decide to hold a referendum, which you don't have too, you then need to respect the result.

As to respecting people, I think it is more about respecting their actions. And I'm not respectful of racist Neanderthal attitudes and actions behind some Brexit voters. But the issue is about having a government that provides a good education and a reasonably well paid job for all. Until then there will be difficulty with the free movement principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's the inalienable right of every person to be as thick as they like.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should or that it's a good thing.

And why should they respect you? What gives you divine right to be correct?

Everybody's treated the same, that's how the system works.
    Everybody's vote counts the same. It should mean everyone's opinion is worth the same.

A lot of politics is subjective. On something like gay marriage there is no real right answer or facts.

Whilst there are many aspects of the EU which are subjective to individuals (eg sovereigntry, immigration a good thing) and there can be 2 sides to that argument.

there are somethings which are facts and are true regardless of how popular they are. In this there is only a right answer and a wrong one.

ReputationRep:
    Its all subjective. Nobody is right or wrong on our relationship with the EU because it depends upon what you value in life. Anyone claiming they are right and someone else is wrong on the issue doesn't understand it at all, and is merely highlighting their own lack of intellectualism.

(Original post by Davij038)

Ok, let's accept that we shouldn't. You are wrong. Therefore, I do not respect you.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't happened just yet.

ReputationRep:
    Generally you have to respect everyone's opinions even if they're wrong.Unless of course someone's opinion goes along the lines of: I hate all black/white people/muslims/ russians/homosexuals etc so lets kill them all.
    As long as it doesnt harm anyone everyone's entitled to their own opinion no matter how wrong( from your pov ) it might be.
    That is why we say we have democracy. If everyone was forced to believe in the same thing then the world would be pretty ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    Hasn't happened just yet.
    Heeyyy, do I know you? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Heeyyy, do I know you? :dontknow:
    Of course not. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Ok, let's accept that we shouldn't. You are wrong. Therefore, I do not respect you.
    Good

(I should emphasise not respecting the persons opinion over the actual person)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venetiaan)
    Generally you have to respect everyone's opinions even if they're wrong.Unless of course someone's opinion goes along the lines of: I hate all black/white people/muslims/ russians/homosexuals etc so lets kill them all.
    As long as it doesnt harm anyone everyone's entitled to their own opinion no matter how wrong( from your pov ) it might be.
    That is why we say we have democracy. If everyone was forced to believe in the same thing then the world would be pretty ****ed.
    Ok, 2 plus 2 is five. You need to respect my opinion on that. It's all subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. People seem to think that being entitled to an opinion means all opinions are equally valid. No, if you're full of **** you're just full of ****. It shouldn't be acceptable to believe things that are blatantly wrong, people should be challenged on their views. Otherwise you end up with stuff like these "vaccines cause autism" neanderthals that put real lives at risk, or these idiots that would let millions of Africans starve because they heard on the internet that GM crops are bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    Of course not. :erm:
    Well then......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    People seem to think that being entitled to an opinion means all opinions are equally valid.
    Of course all opinions are valid. Why? Because we live in a democracy. And if you don't like it, burger off to North Korea.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.