Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I`ve got few questions to all ppl who did Psych Conversion Masters. Was it really difficult? I would like to do one starting Sept 2016 full time and carry on with full time job - do you think it`s doable? Secondly, I`d like to hear about your personal experience. Did it help you with changing your career path? What would be a piece of advise for person who`s just about start conversion course. Many thanks in advance for all replies

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kgk;66340054]Hi! I`ve got few questions to all ppl who did Psych Conversion Masters. Was it really difficult? I would like to do one starting Sept 2016 full time and carry on with full time job - do you think it`s doable? Secondly, I`d like to hear about your personal experience. Did it help you with changing your career path? What would be a piece of advise for person who`s just about start conversion course. Many thanks in advance for all replies[/QUOTEHi,

Hi

Are you doing the studies online? I am starting the conversionpsy online with Derby in September. I don't know the workload as yet but I think it would be doable for online. I just finished myfifth module at Uol in mental Health psychology; it’s very intense however,classmates were able to keep up.
    I did my bachelor in public health and have a medical background with nursing and medical assistance. I think it will help to change my degree because I am currently working at a Mental Health Institution as a social psychiatric worker,

ReputationRep:
    Hi!Thanks for reply. I`m doing full time at Coventry Uni. I decided against Derby (also applied there), as I want to have a real sense of "direct studying" in Uk (I have already Masters from my country). Have been working in HR so far, but feeling year by year more frustrated searching for depth in what I`m doing.
    Recently, I feel like fear of change has gotten on top, as I read how Job Market is saturated with Psycho Graduates and how hard it is to get into profession.... I don`t want to spent money on next useless Degree (I have Masters in Literature and Linguistic) as I`m already 30... I`m also afraid that Conversion Grads are not treated equally to non-conversion ones.... and all conversion thing is just a great tool for young professional who are deluding themselves about unlimited options in Carrier in Psychology....I know I sound bit negative, but It`s just how I feel

ReputationRep:
    I also see comments about the job market for Psycho Graduate which is also with other careers. I always advise people to start volunteering in an organization of career. It is easier to get job or a recommendation letter. You can also look up jobs psychologist can also do example, advice worker, Careers adviser, Counselor, Human resources officer or Market researcher (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology). Marketing yourself is very important however, discrimination do plays a role. Why do you say your degree is useless? I know a girl that has a bachelor in English and she is the communication Officer that a hospital. I think that the end of the day employer ask for degree that is equivalent to what is neededI feel the same way with about age I am 27, especially when I see the young psych students at my work place. However, we did change our career path and so I just have to accept this. Unlike, me you have a master degree already so just make a career off that while you busy doing your psych degree. I started a master in psychology at Liverpool and what I did there, Conversion course are the same and has more. You can work as a psychologist assistant. However, one has to do the conversion degree then take a degree to specialize with working experience so it takes times. I have negative feeling now and then.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Derby2016, Thanks for your post. It`s good to know that I`m not the only one with mu doubts, however I can see that you have already "foot in the door experience/education", so it is maybe a bit easier for you to make this career change. I have already decided to go ahead with Conversion as I know it will be harder to me live my life with unfulfilling job, fear of change and regret "I could have done this..." and so on.Yes, you are right, there is many career prospects related to Psych Degree - so this gives my a hope. You mentioned about discrimination in field - I know that this is like a taboo, but What discrimination do you mean? Against ppl with different ethnic background or gender based? Have you ever came across any sort of discrimination while applying for job/post/whatever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kgk)
    Dear Derby2016, Thanks for your post. It`s good to know that I`m not the only one with mu doubts, however I can see that you have already "foot in the door experience/education", so it is maybe a bit easier for you to make this career change. I have already decided to go ahead with Conversion as I know it will be harder to me live my life with unfulfilling job, fear of change and regret "I could have done this..." and so on.Yes, you are right, there is many career prospects related to Psych Degree - so this gives my a hope. You mentioned about discrimination in field - I know that this is like a taboo, but What discrimination do you mean? Against ppl with different ethnic background or gender based? Have you ever came across any sort of discrimination while applying for job/post/whatever?
    At my work place a white staff from Holland is likely to get more pay and a higher position ( I live in St. Maarten, which is under the Netherlands).

At my workplace I replaced a white lady from Holland. I am doing much more work than her and helped the company in it's financial crisis, by managing the clients' application to the insurance company. The insurance company staff has commented on my work, stating since I started the applications with psychiatric clients's progress/evaluation/requests are accurate and on time. Most of the old staffs are lazy and I accomplished this by doing overtime. I also sent in application for our critical ambulatory clients, which is another department (I met no one doing it so I starting doing it on my own to maintain our funds..

I made 2 years yesterday, and up to now I am not making same salary as the lady I replace.

I asked my company for job security which they agreed once I complete my psychology degree. The idea was when I finish I work with the psychologist then I replace them. Now, they are saying if there is a vacancy then I can get a job as a psychologist. When I first asked we had one psychologist now there are three, and it obvious there is not used for four. However, I will see what happen in the next 2 years.

But as you stated, I am done working in the field. I am going to advance of learning the skills or I can easily get a job if needed else where.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.