Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying my A levels and want to approach a local law firm enquiring about work experience, however I'm struggling on what to put on the email cos i don't want to sound too relaxed or too informal so they may accept me?.. any help is welcomed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zambe147)
    I am currently studying my A levels and want to approach a local law firm enquiring about work experience, however I'm struggling on what to put on the email cos i don't want to sound too relaxed or too informal so they may accept me?.. any help is welcomed

Have you heard of PRIME work experience to Law?
    Check it out here
    http://www.primecommitment.org/member-firms

ReputationRep:
    Try this sort of layout:

Dear Sir/Madam,

*Follow this by a brief explanation of what you are studying, why you want to study law at university and why you are interested in law. Then briefly your personal attributes that help you in being a good intern. Ask them if they have any work, paid or unpaid (if you don't mind the latter) for a candidate like yourself and that you would be grateful to be considered for work in their firm*

Yours Sincerely,

*Your name*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    Have you heard of PRIME work experience to Law?
    Check it out here
    http://www.primecommitment.org/member-firms
    I have and didn't quite understand how you applied for it....

ReputationRep:
    Hi Zambe!

I also emailed some local law firms to inquire about Work experience. My advice would be to start off with (Dear Sir/Madam) and to introduce yourself and why you are emailing:

I am currently studying my A Levels at [insert 6th form/College here] and I would like to know if your firm offered Work Experience.
    It doesn't have to be long. A short email explaining why you are emailing them will do just fine (speaking from experience).

To end the email, thank them and add:

Yours Sincerely
    Followed by your name.

Note that this email is only asking if the firm offers any WE. If they do then I suggest sending them your CV and Cover letter.

If you need any help then let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lujubi)
    Hi Zambe!

I also emailed some local law firms to inquire about Work experience. My advice would be to start off with (Dear Sir/Madam) and to introduce yourself and why you are emailing:

It doesn't have to be long. A short email explaining why you are emailing them will do just fine (speaking from experience).

To end the email, thank them and add:

Followed by your name.

Note that this email is only asking if the firm offers any WE. If they do then I suggest sending them your CV and Cover letter.

If you need any help then let me know.
    Hi Lujubi

could you talk about the why you are emailing part in more detail please? cos i sound really informal and awkward there

thanks zambe147

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lujubi

could you talk about the why you are emailing part in more detail please? cos i sound really informal and awkward there

thanks zambe147
    It's simple really. All you have to say is that you was wondering they provided work experience opportunities. Don't worry too much about formality (but don't be too informal either).

Dear Sir/Madam

I am currently doing my A-Levels at [6th form/college]. I was writing to ask if you offered work experience to Year 12 students for a few days during the summer term. If so, it would be great if you could contact me with information about the process and how to apply.

Regards, Zambe147
    That's literally all I wrote.

Unfortunately, the firm did not offer any WE at that time but they did put me on the system for future opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me OP, law firms, save maybe for the super big ones, are not as formal as you're expecting. Consider that the person who will receive your email is probably some admin worker. The worst thing you could do would be to overthink it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.