Turn on thread page Beta

Now that we've left the EU, let's re nationalize the railways? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So obviously I know EU legislation prevents the government owning more than 50 percent of a company/firm so we couldn't nationalize the railways whilst in the EU.
    However now that we're not I think we should re nationalize them.
    My arguments for, my train line is abbellio greater anglia, and trust me they're arguably one of the worse train providers in the country, for a season ticket a month, it's 400 pounds, so If I was to take the apprenticeship I wanted in london, it would be 4 grand a year or more out of the 17 grand I'd earn.
    Transport is far too expensive in this country and the train companies are always increasing fares, but I never see any investment go into the trains or, the service getting better.
    The trains are constantly delayed/canceled on my line, which is **** if you want to get to work....
    Arguments against nationalization are usually of the sort of, it means less efficiency, investment ect. However I don't believe a free market on the train lines works, because let's face it, other than network rail(which only managed the line), once the company has the train line they can do what the **** they want because there's no competition.
    I think people would much rather, including myself, have the train companies owned by the government so we could hold them accountable, I believe that there would be more benefits nationalizing it, than not, and prices should decrease(as long as the government too decides to not take the piss). Also we'd see investment go into the train services hopefully, instead of gready companies such as my one, always racking up the price 10 percent for no return other than that all that money pisses of to germany(it's owned by the germans, funny how it's one of the worst considering that).

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Or rather we're leaving so we won't be in the EU*

ReputationRep:
    1) The EU never obstructed us from nationalising railways. As an example, East Coast was run by the Department of Transport from 2009-2015 before being sold off to Virgin, and was probably the best regarded railway company in the whole of the UK with very high satisfaction rates, paying back over £1 billion to the government during its period of operation
    See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_C...ating_company)

2) In any case, we have a Tory government and in all likelihood will have a Tory government for the next 10-15 years based on the way the other parties look, so we're not going to ever renationalise anything, ever. We'll probably denationalise a few things. The Health Service for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    1) The EU never obstructed us from nationalising railways. As an example, East Coast was run by the Department of Transport from 2009-2015 before being sold off to Virgin, and was probably the best regarded railway company in the whole of the UK with very high satisfaction rates, paying back over £1 billion to the government during its period of operation

2) In any case, we have a Tory government and in all likelihood will have a Tory government for the next 10-15 years based on the way the other parties look, so we're not going to ever renationalise anything, ever. We'll probably denationalise a few things. The Health Service for instance.
    Look up the regulation, the gov can't own more than 50 percent of it. I am not saying it's likely we will, I am just heavily in favour of doing it.

ReputationRep:

What I father from that then is if it's fully nationalized it cannot be forever(only temporary)

ReputationRep:
    I agree we should bring railways back into public ownership. Not as one monolith though, but with as much local control as possible. The Scottish government owning rail in Scotland, IOW council those in the Isle of Wight, TfL rail in London as much as possible, for example. The separation of train operating companies and Network Rail is a disaster and expensive.

ReputationRep:

I gather they got around the legislation/regulation by not having the government directly own it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct...rated_Railways

ReputationRep:
    Other EU countries have nationalised railways and are much cheaper than ours. If they could do it whilst being in the EU, what makes you think our government will do it now? The Tories are dead set against nationalisation, as seaholme said, its much more likely MORE of our services will be deregulated/privatised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack1066)
    Other EU countries have nationalised railways and are much cheaper than ours. If they could do it whilst being in the EU, what makes you think our government will do it now? The Tories are dead set against nationalisation, as seaholme said, its much more likely MORE of our services will be deregulated/privatised
    Only 50 percent can be...........
    I didn't say I thought they would, I am saying I want them to.............................. ......
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Or we could, you know, not.

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Railway_Directive

In the UK, the directives have been criticised in some areas[16] partly based on the problems with the full privatisation of British Rail, additionally the regulations favour competitive practice which are not necessarily compatible with workers rights.[17]

The EU directives forced the government national railways to be opened up to private companies to increase competition. All this has facilitated is the monopolisation of the railways by private companies. The EU is even going after countries who have not implemented the directive. I hope those countries never do as they have much more affordable and better railways systems than the UK.

In June 2010, the European Commission instigated legal proceedings through the European Court of Justice against 13 states that had not fully implemented the set of directives (known as the 'first railway package'). The countries not having fully implemented the legislation to the Commission's satisfaction were Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain.[19][20]

ReputationRep:

Agreed with you until that ridiculous last statement. Perfect example of a person who has fallen for propaganda and can't think realistically. shame!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IronicalMan)
    Only 50 percent can be...........
    I didn't say I thought they would, I am saying I want them to.............................. ......
    Well Greek railways belong to state alone so I guess it can happen
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They're more or less nationalized already,[well the tracks, other infrastructure and most stations unless im much mistaken] the private firms got £3.5 Billion last year in subsidies last year yet it just goes to the share holders instead of improvement though -.-

Im not entirely certain how they're 'privately' owned at all to be honest... Near as damnit everythings funded through the taxes already we just seem to get completely shafted traveling by rail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    Agreed with you until that ridiculous last statement. Perfect example of a person who has fallen for propaganda and can't think realistically. shame!
    Sigh. Far more realistic than re-nationalising the railways was my point. I realise it's still incredibly unlikely, in spite of what Mr Hunt has published about this exact issue some years ago and the on-going distribution of NHS interest to private companies, I doubt they'd have the balls to sell it off outright - honestly you can keep your patronisation to yourself. People are so extreme on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venetiaan)
    Well Greek railways belong to state alone so I guess it can happen
    Greek railways are terrible, to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    Greek railways are terrible, to be fair.
    It depends on the route and at least they're not that expensive.
    Anyway that has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make which is that the EU does let the state control 100% of railways.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by IronicalMan)
    X
    1. The EU doesn't ban us from nationalising services
    2. Voting Leave has just given more control to the exact government that was trying to privatise everything in the first place.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    1. The EU doesn't ban us from nationalising services
    2. Voting Leave has just given more control to the exact government that was trying to privatise everything in the first place.
    It prevents total nationalisation, and before you say "but Italy..." they're being told 9ff for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It prevents total nationalisation, and before you say "but Italy..." they're being told 9ff for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If the UK's government didnt want to privatize railways they wouldnt have done it. If Greece and Italy ( two countries that "enjoy" a lot more of the EU's interventions than others) have managed to keep their railways nationalized( although I dont know for how long this will go on) then I'm sure that the UK could have kept them nationalized as well.

Edit: Btw I love your icon

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.