Turn on thread page Beta

Credit card question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of getting a 0% credit card for small monthly purchases, some I have to make before I receive my monthly pay. The question I have is that I am planning to leave the country to study abroad next year and therefore was wondering what I would have to do with the credit card, cancel it and if so would I face any consequences or do I just leave the credit card be?

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if you're on a contract you have to follow it that means term lengths, repayment periods and minimum spending failure to follow those agreements could lead to penalties so be sure to check
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The card should be fine just being left behind they rarely cancel inactive cards for that mount of time. If you do use it abroad bare in mind the fees most charge for it and ensure you have money in your uk account to cover it. Oh and look out to see if said card has a monthly rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    The card should be fine just being left behind they rarely cancel inactive cards for that mount of time. If you do use it abroad bare in mind the fees most charge for it and ensure you have money in your uk account to cover it. Oh and look out to see if said card has a monthly rate.
    Well for now I applied for an Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday credit card which for the first 21 months is completely interest-free. One of the things that made me interested in the card apart from the 21 month interest-free purchases is this "Enjoy a generous 5% cashback on virtually everything you buy for 3 months, on up to £2,000 in purchases."
    So basically if I spend a grand during those 3 months, I will receive a £50 cashback, is that going to go directly to my debit card account or what?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tomekplnd)
    Well for now I applied for an Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday credit card which for the first 21 months is completely interest-free. One of the things that made me interested in the card apart from the 21 month interest-free purchases is this "Enjoy a generous 5% cashback on virtually everything you buy for 3 months, on up to £2,000 in purchases."
    So basically if I spend a grand during those 3 months, I will receive a £50 cashback, is that going to go directly to my debit card account or what?
    Christ mate, how good is your credit rating?!?!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Check. My cash back doesn't. It gets taken off what I owe them (nationwide) at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Christ mate, how good is your credit rating?!?!
    Apparently it's 241 out of 700
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Apparently it's 241 out of 700
    Is that Equifax (ClearScore)? It's a bit low for a 0% card if so...

ReputationRep:
    Is that Equifax (ClearScore)? It's a bit low for a 0% card if so...
    Got my score on there yeah.
    Proof I got it:
    Congratulations, your application for the Platinum Cashback Credit Card has been approved. You'll soon be enjoying all the amazing benefits of being an American Express Cardmember.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Got my score on there yeah.
    Proof I got it:
    Congratulations, your application for the Platinum Cashback Credit Card has been approved. You'll soon be enjoying all the amazing benefits of being an American Express Cardmember.
    Honestly very surprising. You must have an impecibly high income.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'm not so sure it's interest free. I have an AMEX Platinum cashback and it's not zero interest. If you pay your balance on time every month it's interest free... Maybe that's where you're getting it mistaken?*

ReputationRep:
    Honestly very surprising. You must have an impecibly high income.
    I get like 10k a year. :lol::lol:
    Unless I filled out the application wrong, but I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega0448)
    Hmm I'm not so sure it's interest free. I have an AMEX Platinum cashback and it's not zero interest. If you pay your balance on time every month it's interest free... Maybe that's where you're getting it mistaken?*
    You are right, if I don't pay on time, interest will be applied. I'm sorry if I mistaken every one but I thought it is still 0% nevertheless.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You are right, if I don't pay on time, interest will be applied. I'm sorry if I mistaken every one but I thought it is still 0% nevertheless.
    I took a look and the typical rate is 22.5%! That explains things 😂😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah I used to have that card, switched it out for the Platinum charge card though.
    If memory serves its just credited against your statement after x amount of time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Ah I used to have that card, switched it out for the Platinum charge card though.
    If memory serves its just credited against your statement after x amount of time though.
    Let me get it straight then, if I make a purchase of around £500 on friday on the credit card (15/07) am I going to have to pay the credit back at the end of the month?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Let me get it straight then, if I make a purchase of around £500 on friday on the credit card (15/07) am I going to have to pay the credit back at the end of the month?
    No only the charge card mandates full repayment. With your card you only need to make whatever the minimum repayment is on the billing date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    No only the charge card mandates full repayment. With your card you only need to make whatever the minimum repayment is on the billing date.
    So as long you pay the minimum repayment or over you are free of any interest right? Also how long would I have to pay the bill from let's say 15th July, would it be at the end of the month?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So as long you pay the minimum repayment or over you are free of any interest right? Also how long would I have to pay the bill from let's say 15th July, would it be at the end of the month?
    Bingo, or atleast until the promotion wears off. Ummm not necesserily it depends on what they set your billing date as i.e. it can fall wherever in the month but you'll then be given a month from that date, well technically about 25 days as thats when your statement is generated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Bingo, or atleast until the promotion wears off. Ummm not necesserily it depends on what they set your billing date as i.e. it can fall wherever in the month but you'll then be given a month from that date, well technically about 25 days as thats when your statement is generated.
    Well hopefully they won't surprise me with the repayment 7 days after I make the purchase, they surely have to give some notice before the billing date.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.